Meliodas

How do I gain weight ?

63 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Quader said:

Even sitting down on a chair will feel better with a hearty butt pad and improved, expanded back posture that can more easily hold it's own weight without fatigue.

This is true until you reach levels of mass that impedes your breathing and literally weighs you down. However, that is mostly the case for "pharmacologically enhanced individuals" (in the words of death star delts Derek) or the combination of a slightly higher than optimal fat percentage.

Exhibit A: 196kg at 190 cm (432.1 lbs at 6'3").

last ned (1).jpeg

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

16 hours ago, mmKay said:

Sitting around for hours and days is extremely unnatural in the large scope of our evolution.

Actually body building is so unnatural just by its structure itself. 1 hour of intense work out every few days and chill the rest of the time? It's completely oposite to what we've just seen in the vid.

As a counter-point, weightlifting is shown to be good for the body.

There's just a big difference between weightlifting for health vs bodybuilding.

You can lift and build strength without getting bulky.

The key is to contemplate your motivations for lifting. Be honest about why you're doing it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

As a counter-point, weightlifting is shown to be good for the body.

Yup, lifting definitely scratches "that itch". 

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can lift and build strength without getting bulky.

Kid in Tom and Jerry shirt ripping bodybuilder's arm off in arm wrestling

59 KG boy deadlifts 500+ kg

Big muscles != strength confirmed.  Pretty sure there are tons of other examples. 

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

16 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

The only way lifting weights translates to my daily life is it makes carrying groceries effortless

I found lifting translated the best when I had to move apartments.

But that's like once every 5 years.

42 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There's just a big difference between weightlifting for health vs bodybuilding.

^ I think this is an important distinction to make as it feels like the mood of this conversation has tilted towards "become thin and stop exercising"

There's nothing wrong with dedicating time to getting a bit stronger and even gaining a little bit of muscle mass IMO as long as it is more functional strength rather than being huge & bulky. Sexual performance & even meditative practice can be enhanced for guys who dedicate some time into physical fitness as long as the end goal is long term health (including bone density, muscle mass and healthy brain maintenance) and not vanity & ego. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Definitely exercise.

There's also nothing wrong with bulking up a bit. I plan to bulk up some in the future. It does help with girls. Just don't make it a substitute for game.

I used to be 15 lbs bulkier than I am now.

38 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

There's nothing wrong with dedicating time to getting a bit stronger and even gaining a little bit of muscle mass IMO as long as it is more functional strength rather than being huge & bulky. Sexual performance & even meditative practice can be enhanced for guys who dedicate some time into physical fitness as long as the end goal is long term health (including bone density, muscle mass and healthy brain maintenance) and not vanity & ego. 

This is something I realized after years of weight training. I get so much more out of each workout if I give everything I've got each set and focus on big compound movements rather than the bodybuilding dogma of "slow, controlled contraction" and isolation exercises (although that has its place). The rush of energy in the moment and the afterglow of pleasant body/brain chemistry throughout the day is what makes me come back every time.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

34 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

This is something I realized after years of weight training. I get so much more out of each workout if I give everything I've got each set and focus on big compound movements rather than the bodybuilding dogma of "slow, controlled contraction" and isolation exercises (although that has its place). The rush of energy in the moment and the afterglow of pleasant body/brain chemistry throughout the day is what makes me come back every time.

Absolutely agreed! I love pushing myself for the sake of continuous improvement and the mastery of my own body. Not for some external validation (although let's face it, getting a compliment is always nice :D) But it's that feeling when you get back home of "that was an awesome workout, I can't wait to do it again". 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Leo Gura I was watching one of your old videos and you said you had been weightlifting consistently for around 7+ years at that time.could you share some progress pics of you when you were your buffest/ 15 lbs heavier?would be super motivating

Edited by Ineedanswers

29 minutes ago, Ineedanswers said:

@Leo Gura I was watching one of your old videos and you said you had been weightlifting consistently for around 7+ years at that time.could you share some progress pics of you when you were your buffest/ 15 lbs heavier?would be super motivating

Yes, I used to weigh 185lbs and I squatted so much that my thighs stopped fitting in my jeans. I still didn't look beefy because I would need to add 30 pounds of muscle to make it noticable on my tall frame. It's way easier to look beefy when you are short. The reason guys like Rogan or Hulse look buff is because they're so short.

I don't have pics. I wasn't tracking myself in some rigorous way. This was the days before smartphones.

@Ineedanswers That's just a well-tailored shirt. I still look like that in the same shirt.

Tailor your shit.

Like I said, you won't really see msucle on my frame unless I grow 30lbs of it.

A good way to look at your health is as a byproduct of your mission in this life.
Focus on your mission and the adequate health awareness will start to follow. 

4 hours ago, Ineedanswers said:

@Leo Gura but didn’t you leo? 7+ years of weightlifting would have made you an elite lifter right? 

That wasn't my goal. I got better things to do.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That wasn't my goal. I got better things to do.

I understand leo.but being a fan of yours,You don’t seem like the person who would do anything without giving it 110% effort.since you overachieved in everything else you put your mind to (consiousness/pua) I wondered why you didn’t overachieve in weightlifting as well

btw do you still do any form of weightlifting/exercises? Do you put any effort into“looksmaxxing” Leo?

Edited by Ineedanswers

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ANSWERING! I WILL NOW GET TO WORK WITH MY HEALTH NOW!

THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS

@Meliodas Good luck, most important thing is to create a lifestyle you can stick with forever & you enjoy

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

2 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@Meliodas Good luck, most important thing is to create a lifestyle you can stick with forever & you enjoy

thanks