Meliodas

How do I gain weight ?

63 posts in this topic

I am just 50 kg 18 year old guy with a height of 5'11'' . I wanna gain weight to be fit , but it is very difficult for me to gain weight . So how do I gain weight. Personally i dont want to overload myself with food because i think that is very unhealthy . is there a way to gain weight in a healthy fashion? Can you provide some diets and foods etc.? 

There are 3 ways to gain weight

• gat fatter
  • get more muscular
  • combination of the two

The second option is the healthiest and more beneficial to your long term health. In terms of "how to make gains" there are books, magazines, videos, coaches, personal trainers. 

Diet will also be pretty darn important. But basically, you will have to eat more than you do if you want to gain weight. That extra body mass has to come from somewhere. It is not unhealthy to eat a bit more if you are active. Unhealthy is only to eat in excess that results in gaining fat. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Michael posts pretty much sums it up, however, I would like to add that you have to set realistic expectations. Don't think that you can gain your ideal weight in 3 - 6 months. I assume (by your description) you have an Ectomorph body and not a Mesomorph's one. Ectomorph's just take a while to gain the weight and you don't want that all on the belly (imo, it looks ridiculous, but that's a guilty judgment :))

Make atleast a 1 year plan (either research or with a personal trainer/diet coach (I recommend personal trainer)) and work on it every single day.

Lots of smoothies with fats like nuts, peanut butter, almond butter, flax seeds, chia seeds, avocado, coconut cream, fatty yogurts. 

Only way is to eat much more calories.

You can try to make it healthier by eating calorie dense foods which are still relatively healthy. Like coconut milk, nut butters, grass fed whey protein shakes, lots of fruits, etc.

Basically you gotta be stuffing yourself full each day to the point where you can hardly eat any more.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can try to make it healthier by eating calorie dense foods which are still relatively healthy. Like coconut milk, nut butters, grass fed whey protein shakes, lots of fruits, etc.

Basically you gotta be stuffing yourself full each day to the point where you can hardly eat any more.

I hate being full. No wonder Im a twig. It literally makes me tired and semi-nauseous.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Some people like food more than others. It's very much a genetic thing. You just have to work a bit harder to get food down the chute. Me and my brother are polar opposites on this. I probably eat twice as much as him (granted I'm also a gym rat while he is a gamer rat :D).

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

50 minutes ago, Rilles said:

I hate being full. No wonder Im a twig. It literally makes me tired and semi-nauseous.

You gotta find the right things to eat, that sit well with you.

Whey shakes worked well for me, but they gave me horrible acne.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You gotta find the right things to eat, that sit well with you.

Whey shakes worked well for me, but they gave me horrible acne.

Thats actually good advice. Will have to experiment a bit. ??

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I'd love to hear y'alls opinion on chugging vegetable oils , like high quality organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil.

You could mix it into a vinaigrette dressing if you'd want to make it more humaine but I'm down to chuggin' it, as it's relatively cheap here in the paradise of olives ( Spain) .

Actually it's tradition to have a spoon of olive oil swept in your mouth by your grandma ( or someone's grandma) if you tell them you're sick. 

I've done Keto diet for over a year so I'm more than fat adapted. Now im back on a normal diet but i'm worried on possible dangers and factors I'm unaware of. Like screwing up fatty acid ratio, etc. 

But keep in mind that 1 shot of olive oil is like 400 calories. It would be a nice choice. 

I don't ever have a big appetite. I'm relatively fit but 62kg @1'79 m. I think I may be missing like 20kg lol. 

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

@Meliodas

On 11/24/2021 at 7:22 AM, Meliodas said:

I am just 50 kg 18 year old guy with a height of 5'11'' . I wanna gain weight to be fit , but it is very difficult for me to gain weight . So how do I gain weight. Personally i dont want to overload myself with food because i think that is very unhealthy . is there a way to gain weight in a healthy fashion? Can you provide some diets and foods etc.? 

It's very important you get clear about what you want from your ideal body. Get specific with your ideal body. Since you want to gain weight, what weight specifically do you want? 60kg? 65kg? 70kg? Is it more fat or more muscle? Get clear first. If you have to make it big and compelling, see, hear and feel your ideal body. Also keep a food journal and keep notes on it everyday about what food, how it effects you, and your weight.

First, find your caloric maintenance, deficit and surplus, I think you input your age, sex, height, weight, and frequency of activity to find out. After finding what your caloric needs are for your body, go find books, videos, fitness coaches and so on to plan out how you want to gain weight.

Basically, you have to be on a caloric surplus, and there are some ways to do that. First classic method is bulking, which involves eating more frequently or slightly larger meals, around the 4-5 times a day range, or 3 times a day with slightly larger meals, and any food goes with the bulking, high in proteins, fats, carbs even, oils, dairy. I don't recommend bulking because you gain fat and muscle as well, resulting in puffy looks that strongmen have, unless you don't mind. 

The other method is eating at surplus calories, and maintaining whatever meal plan you have, 3-4 meals a day, for 1 year straight, or 6 months until you get your target weight. A bit more discipline here as you will need to eat relatively the same, calorie and food wise.

Exercise wise, do slightly less and don't do much cardio as cardio is great for losing weight, but not so much gaining weight. Do more strongman/powerlifting/bodybuilding types of workout programs, and adjust as you go according to your needs.

Consider getting good naps and sleep, and slow down your thinking if you can. As strange as it is, base line mental activities consume calories already, and if you put more attention and thinking, the brain consumes more calories, so slow down the mental fitness to lower levels if you can.

Start working out more the more active you are the more hungry you will be and then the rest falls in place

2 minutes ago, Bando said:

Start working out more the more active you are the more hungry you will be and then the rest falls in place

For some people this works, but if you're naturally quite skinny then you petty much need to force yourself to eat a whole bunch more than you would normally no matter how much you work out

@something_else I get that, buts why I specifically started off by telling him to work out i know what it was like being a tall skinny teen, ive heard the "eat till you puke" line and it just never resonated with me. 

Doing nothing and consuming that much food isn't a stable plan to gain weight, if you go hard in the gym you will naturally want to eat a lot and this will reinforce the habit

The only way is to stuff yourself with wayyy more food than you actually need. But I wouldn't recommend that.

Just accept your body type and try to make the best of it.

I'm skinny too so I get you.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, Random witch said:

Lots of smoothies with fats like nuts, peanut butter, almond butter, flax seeds, chia seeds, avocado, coconut cream, fatty yogurts. 

oh , i see ...... i can get most of those things easily and am planning to eat those things ..... Thanks

8 hours ago, unborn_chicken said:

The only way is to stuff yourself with wayyy more food than you actually need. But I wouldn't recommend that.

Just accept your body type and try to make the best of it.

I'm skinny too so I get you.

I dont mind being Skinny , the thing is I am weak , my BMI is low and i dont want that and i want to change  . Its not like that i want to build muscle , i just want to be fit .

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

and how many times should I eat? I usually eat 2-3 times a day.

+is whey protein shake really healthy , dont they give a lot of complications to the body??

2 hours ago, Meliodas said:

and how many times should I eat? I usually eat 2-3 times a day.

As much as possible with lots of snacks too.

+is whey protein shake really healthy , dont they give a lot of complications to the body??

It's hard to say. Depends on the quality of the whey. It should be grass-fed, organic, no fillers.

Complications will vary from person to person.

Keep in mind all of this will be expensive. You're throwing money down your mouth hole.