omar30

Does downloading movies&Books torrents create bad karma?

17 posts in this topic

If you can afford it, yes.
If not... no, there should be options for those who cannot to get the same knowledge that those who can do.
The movies you could probably do without but books are essential.

If you have to, pay it back somehow by empowering yourself and doing something good for others.

Karma just means actions have consequences. When you perform a behavior, you will be more likely to repeat that behavior in the future. If that behavior has consequences that you consider to be bad, maybe you should consider not doing it.

Choose which mental schemas you want to perpetuate in your life. You could make a case that you're fueling the deceptive/dishonesty schema by not being a lawful citizen, but you're also fueling the shame/insecurity schema by being neurotic about it, and I would argue the latter has a much more substantial effect on your life.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

There's consequentialism and there's deontology.

Consequentialism: results matter. If it causes more good it's good.

Deontology: the act of stealing property. Which is bad.

Now if you want to be mathematical like me, the the consequentialist good is bigger than the deontological bad, you have positive karma. Or a karma debt.

However it's not quantifiable and it's way more tricky than that if everything is seen as a system.

Spread "good" and break the chain of "bad" and it's okay.

If you don't want to steal intellectual property, especially with spiritual books: Just contact the author they'll send you a free copy. Their main goal isn't to make money out of it.

I pirate AAA games, I purchase indie titles.

Today I purchased Exo One on Steam, its very beautiful and zen, highly recommend it to any psychonauts that like spiritual games like Journey or Abzu.

Edited by Mafortu

5 minutes ago, Endangered-EGO said:

Consequentialism: results matter. If it causes more good it's good.

Deontology: the act of stealing property. Which is bad.

The way I see it is that people in the West usually approach karma deontologically while I believe its mechanisms is actually more akin to consequentialism. Acting like x will cause you to act more like x in the future. If you prefer not-x, then x is bad and you should avoid x.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Just God downloading stuff it created. Nothing wrong with that. You own it anyway.

16 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

The way I see it is that people in the West usually approach karma deontologically while I believe its mechanisms is actually more akin to consequentialism. Acting like x will cause you to act more like x in the future. If you prefer not-x, then x is bad and you should avoid x.

@Carl-Richard I'm also more of a consequentialism oriented person.

However I may have contributed indirectly to a person's death then by getting into a fight with them. So I partially caused that persons death by acting the best way I knew back then? What if that person's death prevented more bad stuff from happening because that person was eliminated from his karmic negativity?

I think it's not quantifiable or we're simply as a species not intelligent enough to be able to make that calculation.

So consequentialism is for an infinitely intelligent being. Deontology is for our limited capacities.

In the end there's just nobody who can make the right choices and we know what the road to hell is paved of.

Yes, if you would not like to be robbed yourself.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@omar30

2 minutes ago, omar30 said:

@Tyler Durden so i can come steal your jacket and say god wants to be warm anyway.

Yes, BUT: Also God wants to be punished, being lynched to death from the mob for raping a child. So be careful. Freedom for pleasure AND freedom for consequences.

Just assume that a book doesn't have the same effect if you don't pay for it.

You're not gonna be tortured if you download a book illegally. It just wouldn't have the same effect.

The problem isn't in the action itself, the suffering is in the beliefs and assumptions behind it. It's not a future karma thing. if you were to get slapped on the hand it would be the love of the universe saying "hey! Take a look at these limiting beliefs already, would you?" 

There is no greater joy or freedom in life than to give knowing that everything you give with a clear heart and mind and no hidden motivation is ever lost. It only becomes more. Exponentially more. Not just in the form of stuff or money but as joy and freedom itself. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Leo Gura you penalised me over linking a website link that gives better access to information for those who can't afford it. when compared to other peoples post a penalty seems a bit over kill especially when the form I posted it under said nothing about doing anything like that, a simple warning would be fine. surely remove my account strike 

1 hour ago, Theperciever said:

@Leo Gura you penalised me over linking a website link that gives better access to information for those who can't afford it.

You shared a link to pirated copyrighted content. This is against Forum Guidelines. We can't have that here.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

44 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You shared a link to pirated copyrighted content.

Does one also get a penalty when one shares links to shadow libraries?

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.