eTorro

Rittenhouse Trial Taught Us This

150 posts in this topic

@Consept I never said it's going to be easy or simple. My point was that the entire narrative around what's going on with disenfranchised communities completely absolves the people of responsibility, and instead you have politicians and community leaders who point fingers and blame.

No one in popular leftist media or thought is emphasizing personal responsibility. It's like trying to build a house without setting a foundation. 

The rampant nature of single mother hood and woman minimizing the importance of men are two huge problems in the black community, but no one talks about it. These are the kinds of the issues that will yield real results for people. But again, there is silence on these issues from virtually everyone.

They blame white supremacy, the economic structure etc. But no one wants to hold up a mirror and say how you are responsible for where you are in life.

The real problem is this space is entire covered by stupid people quite frankly. It's the blind the leading the blind, and so we have the results we have. 

You and I probably agree on a lot when it comes how to address the problems. 

1 hour ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I think the issue is if you tell disenfranchised people that 'it's all your responsibility and you need to sort yourself out' it just doesn't produce results. If you think in terms of a child and a parent, if the child is being bad and disruptive, it would be ineffective for the parent to just say 'you need to be better, work out how to do that'. What might be more effective is if the child is given the tools to be better, support, love, community, positive role models etc. 

I agree that it doesn't help just to blame others for your situation but I think it is necessary to be aware of the past and the context of things, this in itself can be empowering because there are legitimate reasons for your situation. However once aware of this it's important to not use it as a crutch and take responsibility for it. But you have to appreciate this is not easy, most people even in wealthy circumstances, don't take responsibility for themselves, it just so happens if you don't in a poverty stricken area you will be heavily affected. 

To me it doesnt really matter what the left media says, I'm more concerned with solutions, most people in those situations probably couldn't care less, as I said in my personal experience the cuts to funding for youth services is definitely a masdive driver in inner crime and general disenfranchment. You cant really cut things like that which are proven to have a positive impact and then say 'well it's their own personal responsibility'. In theory it would be great if everyone could take responsibility for themselves that are in poverty but numbers wise, it just doesn't work like that, some will and some won't and its not really the case that it's even a choice, some are just not aware enough to make that choice, in which case there has to be help on a social level. 

Basically it's a complexed problem and you're not wrong, I agree in principal but there's just a lot more to it, which I can say from first hand experience. 

Edited by Consept

@Raptorsin7 Question, do you think that maybe (just maybe), hundreds of years of governmental, deliberate and institutionalized oppression in forms of slavery, jim crow, segregation, mass incarceration, etc. could have lingering negative consequences on a particular community?

And, the idea of ''pull yourself up by your bootstrap'', is that a solution an intellectually sophisticated, scientifically-minded, fairly educated person would espouse or would such a person instead have a systemic, holistic perspective about the situation or on the other hand, is that a solution a witless simpleton would come up with?

Just a thought experiment. 

Edited by Harlen Kelly

@Harlen Kelly No it had 0 negative consequences.

What kind of question is that

Maybe just maybe, personal responsibility is very important and there should be a greater emphasis on that dimension, as opposed to blame and victim mindsets. Just maybe

Edited by Raptorsin7

On 16/11/2021 at 10:00 AM, Leo Gura said:

Is there not a federal law against a 17 year old owning or transporting a firearm?

Hard to believe there isn't.

That's not the real issue though. The real issue is that this trigger-happy right-wing kid needlessly went hunting for conflict and thereby created it.

You need to be an altruist guy if you want to be a firefighter, they don't do it for the money.

That being said, the altruist guy wanted to defend locals and their business and properties from the violent riots... I wouldnt call this hunting for conflict , how did your mind reach this conclusion?

Edited by Shawn Philips

@Raptorsin7

6 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Harlen Kelly No it had 0 negative consequences.

What kind of question is that

Maybe just maybe, personal responsibility is very important and there should be a greater emphasis on that dimension, as opposed to blame and victim mindsets. Just maybe

Of course personal responsibility is important, why wouldn't it be important? Eventually, even if circumstances were enough to instill personal responsibility, or not, some people learn it sooner or later by living. I hope the disagreement is coming from nuance, not black and white thinking.

Behave yourself here.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.