Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BipolarGrowth

What definition do you use for samadhi? What variations of samadhi do you know of?

6 posts in this topic

I’ve noticed people use this word in very conflicting ways. 

For example, this video describes samadhi very differently than I see most people using it: 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

I don't use it as a synonym for enlightenment. I use it to refer to the effortless blissful state that results from unifying the mind -- Culadasa uses the term Samatha for this.

37 minutes ago, The0Self said:

I don't use it as a synonym for enlightenment. I use it to refer to the effortless blissful state that results from unifying the mind -- Culadasa uses the term Samatha for this.

I don’t think it’s at all the same as enlightenment, but they are positively correlated of course. 

I’m glad you tied it to Samatha. I just realized I completely read over that connection. I always thought Samatha = concentration, which it does, but it also means training in samadhi. I guess it’s all essentially the same just with varying depths. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Samadhi means union. Where there is union there is Samadhi.

38 minutes ago, cetus said:

Samadhi means union. Where there is union there is Samadhi.

All the efin time.

Samadhi are peak states of concentration within the meditative practice. 

With much meditative practice, eventually the samadhi states happen more frequently to the point where it can be nearly daily. 

But its important to understand that liberation means liberation from samadhi itself as well. So samadhi states however amazing are no different than anything else and arise and fade, the real trick is letting them go.