diamondpenguin

Reading Habit Ideas

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a reading habit, and wanted your input on what would be a good routine to build as far as a daily or weekly reading routine. I honestly find that reading biographies is the best, or practical how to books. But what do you all do for reading routines?

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

Start reading and don't complicate it too much :) I read in bed a lot

"You Create Magic" 

57 minutes ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

Start reading and don't complicate it too much :) I read in bed a lot

I feel like it's good to streamline my life into a step-by-step process to the highest goals. 

51 minutes ago, Ilan said:

?

@Ilan I don't get it, what do you mean?

I need this as well. I had a strong reading habit as a kid. 

Then life came along and kinda didn't have the luxury for it 

Need to brush up my reading skills once again. 

Watch videos about reading for more input and I'll do the same. 

Yesterday I stopped at an old bookstore on my way to the bank and I was wondering if I wanted to pick a book. Sigh. I didn't. 

I need a bit of a confidence boost to feel like I can complete a book. 

My biggest fear is leaving the book halfway through reading and never finishing it. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Read 1 paragraph a day.after that is easy ,then read 2 paragraph.increse it like this.

Read whatever book that is most meaningful or valuable at the moment

do 1 hour religiously every day

i have 2 book on the go at any time, one i dislike somewhat and one i like ... read the dislike on days when energy levels are high ... the like when low

if the material is too dull, skip to next chapter ... it the book turns out rubbish just read the last chapter

always have at least 10 books on my wishlist, when i finish one order another ... keep updating the wishlist every week ... always seeking new books

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

@Preety_India Yeah, clinical depression does that. 

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Edited by captainamerica

@diamondpenguin When I read a book, I try to finish in a week (if it’s not over 300 pages).

When starting a book, just set a deadline for when you’d like to finish.

Example: 275 page book, would like to finish in a week. (275 / 7 = 40 pages a day).

You can break it down even smaller if you want to read less each day.

8 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I need this as well. I had a strong reading habit as a kid. 

Then life came along and kinda didn't have the luxury for it 

Need to brush up my reading skills once again. 

Watch videos about reading for more input and I'll do the same. 

Yesterday I stopped at an old bookstore on my way to the bank and I was wondering if I wanted to pick a book. Sigh. I didn't. 

My biggest fear is leaving the book halfway through reading and never finishing it. 

@Preety_India you don't have to be such a perfectionist you know?

6 hours ago, gettoefl said:

do 1 hour religiously every day

i have 2 book on the go at any time, one i dislike somewhat and one i like ... read the dislike on days when energy levels are high ... the like when low

if the material is too dull, skip to next chapter ... it the book turns out rubbish just read the last chapter

always have at least 10 books on my wishlist, when i finish one order another ... keep updating the wishlist every week ... always seeking new books

@gettoefl I really like this idea, I feel like this the most effective reading strategy.

@diamondpenguin Yea I have a perfectionist problem. 

It's super annoying to myself. 

Hard to make it go away. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I read two books at the same time.

The first: Is self help book or something that helps me to gain knowledge. I read it in the morning or through the day. 

The second: book of some story or novel. I read it before I go to sleep in my bed. it helps me to clean my mind, escape to an another world before I'll escape to the world of dreams.

My goal is to read at least one page of every book, everyday.

There's days that I read only one or two pages and there's other days when I read much more.

I noticed that when I don't browse the web and limit my use, I read much more books.

Edited by Random witch

During my peak reading period, I read/listen to books 16 hours daily (back when I was jobless).

I set on my computer a reading app that will open itself on startup. 

I have ready reading apps or audio apps on my phones, my computers n tablets at all times.

I will write notes (used to write on papers but now I write them online)

I read/watch summaries of books as well after finishing the books. 

I will do reviews on almost all books I read and will also put my own ratings. 

Every morning when i wake up and right before I sleep. I keep a book by my bed so i just pick it up as soon as i get up and start reading and when I'm in bed i read a couple of pages. Helps to have a genuine desire and intent too 

Also if you have resistance, finding books that you genuinely want to read can help  

Edited by Jacob Morres

1 hour before bed, make a good infrastructure for it (tech off, reading light on, brew yourself some tea, sit in your "reading chair"). works wonders. you don't have to read every minute of the timeframe. just show up. it will brush off on your entire reading life, not just in that timeframe. you will read a lot more 3 months from now if you try this.

Edited by Kshantivadin

On 12/11/2021 at 11:29 AM, diamondpenguin said:

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a reading habit, and wanted your input on what would be a good routine to build as far as a daily or weekly reading routine. I honestly find that reading biographies is the best, or practical how to books. But what do you all do for reading routines?

45 min. reading + 15 min contemplation habit will supercharge your reading habit. It is like adding rocket fuel to the equation. 

It will double or triple creativity and fulfillment from the reading habit over months and years of doing it.

Edited by captainamerica