Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psych2Awak3n

Excessive blushing/shyness (seemingly) exacerbated by meditation

8 posts in this topic

I have always been a ''shy'' person, avoiding most social contact. Haven't really seriously worked on this problem other than a few years back where it went from unmanageable to manageable but pretty bad still.

About 2 months ago I started meditating, and it was at around this time that whenever I went outside and saw a person (no matter the gender/age. I even get this with friends and family), I felt myself blushing. I feel like it might just be that I was so unaware of my feelings that I had the same problem before, but I didn't even think about it, or it's also possible that this just became quite a lot worse since I started meditating. 

I've done some research on this problem and 1.5 months ago started doing diaphragmatic breathing, cold exposure, and taking L-theanine + ashwagandha, however this hasn't helped at all.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on? 

Possibly (and this is just a guess), the meditation is bringing your shyness to the surface in order for it to be released. 

But meditation alone won't solve the shyness, you gotta get out there and socialize, I believe in you! 

"You Create Magic" 

I had a blushing phobia many years ago. I blushed heavily in every social interaction. As soon as the attention was turned towards me, I blushed. It took over my life back then.

The way to solve it is to become non reactive to the blushing. So when it comes up, you have to find full relaxation through the body. You have to accept the sensations fully, not run from it. You have to be able to handle it energetically. Own it completely. Ground any nervous energy into the ground by feeling your feet and legs. After you find that blushing doesnt bother you anymore, it will go away and will stop manifesting.

You also have to work on the toxic shame that it underlies. Keep meditating. If you want to get rid of it and feel fully you and powerful, you're going to have to develop a very strong motivation and workethic and use it to face all of your resistances. It's deep work.

Edited by JonasVE12

@Psych2Awak3n Yes I used to have a similar problem with blushing. I'd go on the London tube, sit down, and randomly start blushing even if I didn't look or talk to anyone. I'd blush when family members came over to visit. I'd even blush in front of friends. It was not a fun experience so I empathise with your challenges.

Over a few years I gradually just grew out of it. I don't blush at all now. I think it largely stemmed from a lack of social confidence and general social anxiety. The older i've got, i've become more mature, confident and self assured and this kinda cured the blushing. I feel more comfortable being in social situations. 

But, in the short term, definitely try to change your perspective on the blushing in the moment it arises. Really try to be more equanimous and not let it bother you. Don't ignore it, recognise it in a calm grounded way and allow it be without adding or reacting to the feelings/sensations. Have a sort of relaxed attitude of "oh i'm blushing again, interesting". Hope this helps.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Some people just wear their hearts on their sleeves. 

Why keep your love hidden? 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

On 09/11/2021 at 10:33 PM, Psych2Awak3n said:

I have always been a ''shy'' person, avoiding most social contact. Haven't really seriously worked on this problem other than a few years back where it went from unmanageable to manageable but pretty bad still.

About 2 months ago I started meditating, and it was at around this time that whenever I went outside and saw a person (no matter the gender/age. I even get this with friends and family), I felt myself blushing. I feel like it might just be that I was so unaware of my feelings that I had the same problem before, but I didn't even think about it, or it's also possible that this just became quite a lot worse since I started meditating. 

I've done some research on this problem and 1.5 months ago started doing diaphragmatic breathing, cold exposure, and taking L-theanine + ashwagandha, however this hasn't helped at all.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on? 

Only you can ^_^

There is always, always a deeper reason why.

When you blush, what do you feel?

If you focus on that sensation, what thoughts and memories come up?

Inquire and inquire, and the answer will come to you.

Could take a couple days.

Then you know what needs to be healed.

If you feel too disconnected from yourself to get any answer, do shamanic breathing.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

This is called erythrophobia and I know firsthand how horrendously god awful it is to be cursed with. I used to have it pretty bad in high school. Can’t even remember how exactly I cured it but only now that it’s gone do I find out that girls find it super cute when guys blush. Of course.

Shyness is about not allowing yourself to be fully expressed. I would self-inquire into which aspects of yourself you are suppressing/not allowing. I would then try to find a way to love these parts genuinely. I would also find ways to authentically express these parts in your own comfortable way/safe place. Practicing to allow these parts might help with the shyness over time because you will not be in as much resistance towards them.