Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Durden

Dinosaur fossils

11 posts in this topic

Some theists will say that God put dinosaur fossils in the earth so people would think the world is billions of years old. From a scientific perspective that sounds completely ridiculous.

But when you realise that past doesn't exist and is actually being imagined in the now, somehow theistic explanation sudenly seems more plausible than scientific one.

Did God really created the concept of dinosaurs to trick itself into thinking that world is much older than it really is?

You die... and in 500 years, a grave-digging, mad scientist finds your bones..
He asks himself "Did God really create the concept of [your existence] to trick itself into thinking that the world is much older than it really is?

Now, from your perspective in this moment - this seems like a ridicolous question, right?
You are not a "concept" - you are you! You are concious! Or are you? 
Well, the mistake is how you define you...

When we say time is not real, what do we really mean? 
We mean that time is an illusion in the absolute sense of reality - non-duality does not have time in it - it just "is" - now - forever. 
On the other side - from a relative truth perspective, there is a certain quality of time thats undeniable: Its programmed in the illusion/movie - its part of it. Its as real as gravity. To be honest, not quiet like gravity - because in modern physics there is a huge debate on what time actually is. 

From this relative perspective, dinosaurs are as many timeframes away from you, as modern science tells you. So if we take our man-made system thats  approximately 66 million years (or 66 million circles around the sun) ago. They were as real "back then" as you are real now. They were concious. They were god. Just like you. 

In an absolute sense, you were the dinosaurs - and the comet that killed them. 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

@undeather  But if I die, the whole world will die with me. There would be no archeologists in the future digging up my bones.

And if now is eternal, then existence of dinosaurs in the past is nothing more than a belief. They were never in my direct experience, I only read about them in books and watched documentaries on TV.

It seems to me like a nice back story that was created in order to explain what was here before me and how it lead to the present moment.

@BenG I'm not saying that creationists are right. They still believe that Earth is 6000 years old which would require past. But God creating everything instantly, without bilions of years of evolution, seems more plausible than scientific explanation. You really think it took almost 14 bilion years to get where we are now? 

@Tyler Durden You're kinda conflating two things here... yes, there's no past and creation is happening now. But that doesn't give permission to deny ideas like "the past", "evolution", etc. They're still quite useful models and I can project them, creating the illusion of the future which allows for prediction. 

The truth is "dinosaur bones" exist. The rest is something you add on top of the sensation of dinosaur bones. Try to really grok that, see how your mind imagines "dinosaurs" "million years ago" and "the past". Really try to catch your mind conjuring up those images.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Tim R I agree that they are useful but in reality nothing more than projection with the purpose of creating explanation of how we got here. 

35 minutes ago, BenG said:

Yes. I get that time is a projection of the mind, but the question "how old is the universe?" already implies time. So, if we're going to ask that question at all, shouldn't we try to be intellectually honest about it? I mean, you can't just cherry pick things to throw out.

I'm not saying it's impossible but if God is omnipotent, then it's easier to create it in an instant, just the way it's now, with an illusion of being bilions of years old.

Edited by Tyler Durden

28 minutes ago, BenG said:

@Tyler Durden

What if God wanted to experience being a dinosaur? :P

Maybe now it would have a form of dinosauroid instead of humanoid but that asteroid changed its plans ? 

Asauroid.jpg

All my psychedelic work has made me believe is that time is much larger than we imagine, perhaps that it's infinite going both ways. I think it's more likely that humans were created and went extinct an infinite number of times before this current run-through.

You underestimate God.

God doesn't have the need to fake anything. Illusion and Reality are the same.

It can create all things, and experience all things. There is no need to fake anything.

This is why the concept of Illusion can be damaging. What you imagine to be Illusion is not what Illusion is. Illusion is precisely all of this, that you have right here. It is not something that constrasts "Reality". You are still creating stories here, you are just changing them.

Forget about all of the story. Forget about both the story of the dinosaurs and the "instant" creation. Look at what is left. If you want to recognize what stories are, then you must clearly see them, with a distance. This means, look at the story, see what it truly is. Then, any story will be insufficient, because story is merely one fascet of Isness. Redness is not Story. And no story could possibly capture Redness, let alone anything else but stories.

You are attempting to paint every color using one color. That is what you do, when you make up these story, when you seek explanation. Open your eyes to all colors, and stop obsessing over one in particular.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel