Annoynymous

Introversion & Career choice

5 posts in this topic

I have been wondering about career choice lately, as I am an introvert and want to start doing job soon. I have a concern that as in most part time jobs (I am currently a student in Canada and not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week on off-campus), those jobs are usually in a fast paced environments and requires a lot of interaction with people. The idea of it makes me nervous because i have never did any job before and i don't feel confident/comfortable about interacting with people.

Do I need to change as an introvert to do these kind of jobs? In other words, does my introversion a roadblock to be successful in jobs that requires a lot of interaction with people?

You do not need to change, but you need to open yourself to new experience though. It does not mean you’ll become an extrovert but it means you will grow up. And after if you want to, you can always come back to your « introvert nature ».

you sound as you want to have more interaction with people so do what you want not because you have to force yourself to do it but because you want it.

You're uncomfortable dealing with people because you've never done it before. If you don't change something, it will always be this way.

You have to push your boundaries a bit and take that sort of job to start building your social skills and extroversion.

I am extremely introverted and used to be the same way. My parents made me get a part-time job at a grocery store and it helped a lot. I'm still very introverted and I hate talking to people, but now I can do it if I need to.

At least give it a chance for 6 months or so. Then if you absolutely hate it, you can retreat back into your hole forever. But being scared to interact with people will seriously hold you back in almost every aspect of life.

Watch a bunch of Youtube videos on how to be social, how to make smalltalk, or anything else you're nervous about. It's a new skill you need to learn just like anything else. There are whole channels with dozens of videos to help introverts overcome social anxiety.

@Annoynymous

As @Yarco  and @Ilan  proposed, you don't need to be someone other. You need to develop skills.

It can be very benefitial to work for a time in a field that is opposed of your comfort zone.

You grow a lot if you submit to it.

However you may remain below average compared to natural talents even if you pour a lot of effort into it. It tends to be only benefitial and effective for some time, after that you stagnate and thus should change jobs. To hold a job for some years is an  interesting learning exp. in itself... totally underrated.... but make no mistake: your mission is to get OUT

haha;)