Philipp

How to decide on your Career (meta aspects)

4 posts in this topic

Hey, I am wondering on which basis I should decide for my career / Life purpose. 

I was contemplating the meta aspects. Please keep in mind that these decision nowadays require large entry investments (5+ years of studying) and that it is not as simple as to try everything out. 

What do you think is the right aproach:

having a long term plan (10+ years)                          vs.                   no plan (just choosing what draws you in)

concrete goal (certain job)                                           vs.                   no concrete goal

allowing fear to play a role (fear of poverty ,            vs.                   trying to ignore fears 
fear of boredom, fear wage slavery, +)

Asking myself "what do I want"                                   vs.                   "what is the best option"

trying to consider what it would imply for                 vs.                   not trying to predict your future
your future (10, 20, 30+ years)

considering your growth potential (should I              vs.                  just judging on my current stage on selflessness
consider that in 10, 20 years I will probably
be more selfless than now)

for me                                                                               vs.                 for others

Please consider that I am not enlightened and that I have to make this decision at this stage, so it is no help to tell me, that there is no difference between self & others. 

@Sahil Pandit

My interests are very broad, I have already a bachelor in psychology and studied computer science (for 1 year). Currently I am studying industrial Design. 

My strengths are also broad (analytical, creative, even a good social sense) however I have poor persistency.. and I am a rather poor leader (or at least not used to it). 

whats your current situation? do you have a LP or a meaningful career? how are you pursuing it?

Edited by Philipp

You should have a long-term plan and concrete goals, but you shouldn't be married to them. If your interests change then you need to change your goals with them (as long as you aren't just dabbling.) 1 - 2 year goals are good. 5 or 10 years is too far out for most people. My life is consistently nothing like I expected 5 years ago.

It doesn't hurt to have lofty goals either. I have some things I want to accomplish by 2030 or later... but most of these are things I want to do on top of my life purpose.

If you want an authentic life purpose then you need to ignore the fears of not having enough money, etc. The life purpose course has whole videos with exercises to release these negative motivations.

"What you want" should be the best option by default. The best option isn't the best option if it just means a stable well-paying job, butit comes at the cost of you being miserable.