SQAAD

My Cholesterol is 210: Any advice?

11 posts in this topic

Today i got my results for my cholesterol. It is 210 ng/dL. 

I have been eating many many whole eggs the last year. Like >15 eggs per week on average. And the last couple of months, i began noticing a feeling of blockage in my heart area. What should i do from now on? Is cutting down the eggs enough to lower my cholesterol? 

Whats your LDL, HDL, Triglycerides?

Yes, eggs raise cholesterol in most people when heavily consumed. Its just one part of the calculation though...
I highly doubt the felt blockage in your heart area has anything to do with real heart issues. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

@undeather

1 hour ago, undeather said:

Whats your LDL, HDL, Triglycerides?

I don't know.. I will have to run some more tests. It just says that my cholesterol should be below 170 compared to my LDL. The test i did doesn't show my LDL at all.

1 hour ago, undeather said:

I highly doubt the felt blockage in your heart area has anything to do with real heart issues. 

I think it is a sign of high cholesterol. It's not something i feel constantly. But i've noticed it the last 2 months, especially after days where i have eaten many eggs.

Edited by SQAAD

6 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@undeather

I don't know.. I will have to run some more tests. It just says that my cholesterol should be below 170 compared to my LDL. The test i did doesn't show my LDL at all.

I think it is a sign of high cholesterol. It's not something i feel constantly. But i've noticed it the last 2 months, especially after days where i have eaten many eggs.

Total cholesterol on its own is very limited as a tool for cardiovascular risk assessment. Pretty much useless without LDL, HDL and Triglycerides! 

220 is not super high either - thats what I call normal in a person with a shitty diet or bad genetics! 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

recent studies show that people with high cholesterol have a lower risk of mortality from any cause. The new theories affirm that the only risk hypercholesterolemia is familial hypercholesterolemia, a disease of genetic origin. It seems that in other cases the cholesterol level is not related to atherosclerosis. chronic inflammation or diabetes is much more.

Edited by Breakingthewall

@undeather

17 hours ago, undeather said:

Total cholesterol on its own is very limited as a tool for cardiovascular risk assessment. Pretty much useless without LDL, HDL and Triglycerides! 

That is good info to know the next time i take blood tests!

@undeather

17 hours ago, undeather said:

220 is not super high either - thats what I call normal in a person with a shitty diet or bad genetics! 

210*.  I think its mostly because of the eggs. I eat meat also but not a ton of it.  Other than that i consume some dairy also. I remember that my cholesterol was always kinda high. I think the last time i checked it was 180-200. But i wasn't eating a ton of eggs back then.

Now i will cut on my egg consumption and run some more comprehensive tests in the near future.

12 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@undeather

210*.  I think its mostly because of the eggs. I eat meat also but not a ton of it.  Other than that i consume some dairy also. I remember that my cholesterol was always kinda high. I think the last time i checked it was 180-200. But i wasn't eating a ton of eggs back then.

Now i will cut on my egg consumption and run some more comprehensive tests in the near future.

Alright! Good idea - keep us updated! 

- Rainer Maria Rilke

Eat fewer but high-quality eggs. Dairy and meat, I’d cut down of. However much you eat of those, make them as high quality as possible. 

No processed meat. That goes without saying.

Also, cut down on the “unreal” food. You’re focusing on eggs as the possible cause but maybe remove all the possible junk you’re eating, like sodas, carbs, excessive fried foods, processed stuff, et al. 

Look to what you can add to your diet, too, not only what can be removed. Fruits, vegetables, tea, and smoothies are great additions regardless of cholesterol levels.

Just some basic advice, a family member also has high cholesterol.

Here are my notes from a short study.

Fibre, essential fatty acid supplement, and avocado oil, lower LDL. For example, a bit of high EPA fish oil throughout the day significantly reduces LDL. 

LDL Cholesterol concentration includes APO B transporters and some fat cells (so concentration by itself does not give us alot of information). However, limiting carbs sometimes reduces high APO B or a high absolute count of LDL particles. 

the triglycerides : HDL Cholesterol ratio should be <4.0, or else this ratio indicates metabolic syndrome--which is a precursor to multiple diseases (so, you don't want this ratio to be too high). Insulin resistance increases this ratio [and insulin sensitivity lowers this ratio].

The idea that dietary cholesterol increases blood LDL cholesterol is widely mocked in contemporary medicine. Fructose is more of a culprit than eggs. Dietary Cholesterol is de-esterfied, so it is unusable: dietary cholesterol does not directly affect blood cholesterol unless the body needs the dietary cholesterol. The dietary cholesterol goes into the gut and gets dumped out (fibre helps); but the gut preferentially reabsorbs esterfied cholesterol (which is already in the body).

Go Plantbased right now, thank me later (I noticed that those fine gentlemen before my posting did a great job to provide you with the science behind it).