SQAAD

Who is The Devil After All: Carbs or Saturated Fats?

27 posts in this topic

@Preety_India I am a doctor, and from my 6-year experience with tens of doctors I would say they are generally dumb when it comes to subtle topics like this one, also they lack any kind of enthusiasm about any new ways of understanding diseases or finding new treatments or discovering some medical herb. Doctors are good for treating pneumonia but they are very bad when it comes to treating headaches and allergies for example. They don't treat these subtle annoying daily symptoms seriously enough.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

3 hours ago, Preety_India said:

Don't know about carbs. 

How are you supposed to get energy? 

exactly!! somehow we are ignoring the fact that carbohydrates is the simplest and cleanest energy there is. 

Not uncommon for low carbers to suffer from absolute energy crashes without their triple espresso butter loaded bulletproof coffee in the morning :D which obviously shoots their LDL through the roof but hey "LDL means nothing right"

1 hour ago, LSD-Rumi said:

n omega 6 which is an inflammatory agent

you know I used to think this for a long time but actually we have no research to show that linolenic acid is harmful. Same for most seed oils, when consumed in moderation these things bring about better health, less inflammation and even reduce the risk of CVD if they are used to replace saturated fats. That being said at some point excess vegetable oils may become problematic if they incur obesity but anything that makes people fat will be problematic. 

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Do you have some interesting information about that? I've always wondered what polyphenols are capable of

They are a variety of plant chemicals that when eaten have positive effects on the body in many ways. Some of the examples you've heard about: resveratrol in grapes curcumin in turmeric, EGCG in green tea and so on. 

I don't know if there is a reader friendly material outside of academic studies. We still haven't identified many of them and much what we know is still coming from in-vitro & in-vivo so not sure if a book has ever been written. It would be super boring, dry and academic if it came out :D

Maybe try this:  https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2018.00087/full  not the most reader friendly thing, I know

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

29 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

you know I used to think this for a long time but actually we have no research to show that linolenic acid is harmful. Same for most seed oils, when consumed in moderation these things bring about better health, less inflammation and even reduce the risk of CVD if they are used to replace saturated fats. That being said at some point excess vegetable oils may become problematic if they incur obesity but anything that makes people fat will be problematic

Man! nutrition science is so twisted.

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you want to stay effortlessly lean, cut out starchy carbs like potatoes

Potatoes are one of (if not the) most filling food per calorie there is. Cutting out potatoes will likely not make one lose weight easier

dfgdfgd.png

Is heart disease caused by carbs or saturated fats?

Heart disease is caused mostly by too many calories. It depends on a person but if calories equated high carb diet makes you eat more overall calories then for you high carb diet will be the cause of heart disease and vice versa

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If all you eat is 5 potatos a day, yeah, you will lose weight.

RIP your insulin resistance though. There are many factors besides weight to consider than health. Read "Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung

1 hour ago, Dabidoe said:

RIP your insulin resistance though. There are many factors besides weight to consider than health. Read "Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung

Glycemic index isn't all that matter. It isn't that bad if you raise insulin and than you let it drop. Low glycemic index foods may be even worse because they have extended release.

It is hard not to snack when you eat high glycemic foods. But if you have only 5 potatoes per day, there is nothing to snack between meals ;D