Viking

how to choose what to do out of so many options?

10 posts in this topic

I dont want to be a dabbler.

i want to choose something and master it, but im stuck with so many options because im interested in so many things and potentially good (relatively, since i didn't put enough effort) at so many things.

maybe it's because of my adhd but i start doing something and then it's very interesting but then i go do another thing and it's interesting as well. i just cant settle on one thing because i cant stand the thought of not doing other things. also i ended up dabbling in so many things that things started to bore me because i wasnt very good at one specific thing.

what do i do? feel so all over the place

7 minutes ago, Viking said:

I dont want to be a dabbler.

i want to choose something and master it, but im stuck with so many options because im interested in so many things and potentially good (relatively, since i didn't put enough effort) at so many things.

maybe it's because of my adhd but i start doing something and then it's very interesting but then i go do another thing and it's interesting as well. i just cant settle on one thing because i cant stand the thought of not doing other things. also i ended up dabbling in so many things that things started to bore me because i wasnt very good at one specific thing.

what do i do? feel so all over the place

What do you find most fulfilling of out all these? Try to find the ones that combine both heart and mind and that comes easy. The more relaxed you feel doing it the easier it will be as a purpose. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

11 minutes ago, Rilles said:

What do you find most fulfilling of out all these? Try to find the ones that combine both heart and mind and that comes easy. The more relaxed you feel doing it the easier it will be as a purpose. 

maybe it's tricky for me because the thing i do easiest is thinking. i think about everything and have a computer notebook where i have years of writing about my thoughts. 

thing is i dont think about particular topics, i think about everything, and it's often problem solving oriented thinking. whether it's my relationships, philosophy, life purpose, insights about life.. there is no one thing i think about.

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

maybe it's tricky for me because the thing i do easiest is thinking. i think about everything and have a computer notebook where i have years of writing about my thoughts. 

thing is i dont think about particular topics, i think about everything, and it's often problem solving oriented thinking. whether it's my relationships, philosophy, life purpose, insights about life.. there is no one thing i think about.

You can be a broad thinker, nothing wrong with that, what do you want to use your thinking for? 

Just now, Rilles said:

You can be a broad thinker, nothing wrong with that, what do you want to use your thinking for? 

that's the thing, is there really anything that can be done with thinking? 

haha just by saying "done" it implies "to do" something. doing something isnt thinking about something. do people make careers out of thinking?

6 minutes ago, Viking said:

that's the thing, is there really anything that can be done with thinking? 

haha just by saying "done" it implies "to do" something. doing something isnt thinking about something. do people make careers out of thinking?

Forget about career, that can come later, start with what you love (thinking deeply and broad) and think of how you will apply that. For example, can the thoughts you write down be shared with others? People love reading others thoughts.

You have said in this thread:

Deep thinker, problem solver, writer.

Thats alot to work with.

Edited by Rilles

2 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Forget about career, that can come later, start with what you love (thinking deeply and broad) and think of how you will apply. For example, can the thought you write down be shared with others? People love reading others thoughts.

actually that's a very interesting idea, i sort of got excited

i thought about maybe sharing my thoughts on facebook or instagram. i saw people do that. picking a particular topic and writing about it. people might be interested in it. i also love a lot giving advice to people so it sort of fits, but people usually dont want to listen to me haha because it might ruin their worldview or it makes them feel bad about them not working on their life

8 minutes ago, Viking said:

actually that's a very interesting idea, i sort of got excited

i thought about maybe sharing my thoughts on facebook or instagram. i saw people do that. picking a particular topic and writing about it. people might be interested in it. i also love a lot giving advice to people so it sort of fits, but people usually dont want to listen to me haha because it might ruin their worldview or it makes them feel bad about them not working on their life

Thats great! Contemplate for a while about what platform or what medium you want to use and then take the big leap. Give yourself a year maybe to work with one thing, might take a while to see some growth, noones gonna give a fuck at first because they dont know who you are, but just keep working at it and youll see some results. Good luck! :) 

Hey, Leo pisses people off all the time and he has 1 million subs, I think youll be fine haha.

I have been getting positive Youtube comments about me and my brothers music everyday for the past year and its the best feeling ever, it really inspires me, but it took me maybe 3 years to get to even that. You gotta be passionate as fuck and work hard.

Edited by Rilles

What is one or more things that you want to do in your life, if you had ultimate potential and enough ressources to make it happen?

You're demonizing dabbling too much. 

If you have no experience, dabbling is the only real way to find what you like and what you're good at. We expect kids to pick their lifelong career before they leave high school, but what % actually get it right the first time and love what they're doing for the rest of their life? I'd hazard to guess that it's not many.

If you go too far in the non-dabbling direction at the beginning, you'll fall prey to the sunk cost fallacy. You might pick one thing that doesn't really suit you, but feel you've put too much time and effort into it to "dabble" and change paths again.

I've found my life purpose and I'm still dabbling on the side to see if there's anything I might like even better. I still want to start a webcomic, podcast, maybe try voice acting, 3D modelling, make a synthwave album, make a standup comedy routine, create a video game, and other stuff on top of my life purpose. Maybe one of those will click more and it'll become my new life purpose. I'm about to restart the Life Purpose course again for about the 4th time just to see if anything's changed. You just gotta follow your heart and see what happens.

For now, just pick something you can practically apply yourself to and try it for a few months, see how it goes. You can always change later. But if you allow yourself to get paralyzed and not make a decision, you'll just be mentally masturbating still again this time next year. The most important thing is to pick something and just start actually working on it. Most people just get overwhelmed and never do anything. That's why people like Elon Musk who just go for things look like gods. Tell him that he shouldn't be starting an electric car company, spaceship company, neuroscience company, and tunnel boring company at the same time because it's dabbling. Tell people with 5-10 different passive income sources they shouldn't be dabbling LOL.

Edited by Yarco