Scholar

The Principles Of Leonardo Da Vinci

6 posts in this topic

Recently I've been quite interested in Leonardo Da Vinci, and as I watched a few documentaries about him I noticed quite a few similarities in Leonardo's approach to life and self-improvement work. There is a book called "How To Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day" which I haven't yet read, but the author basicly describes a few of Leonardo's principles, which are:

Curiosita’ – an insatiable curiosity

Dimostrazione – testing knowledge through experience

Sensazione – continued refinement of the senses

Sfumato – a willingness to embrace ambiguity

Arte/Scienza – developing a balance between art and science

Corporalita’ – cultivating fitness and poise

Connessione – recognizing and appreciating that all phenomena are connected

I find that quite interesting. To me it seems like he basicly understood self-improvement on an almost intuitive level. Especially principle 5 is very interesting to me, having a balance between art and science. Maybe in a sense this translates into having a balance between the "left" and "right" brain, to both master intuitive and logic thinking. The willingness to embrace ambiguity is one of the key principles for self-actualization, just as the continued refinement of the senses. A large part of his life was dedicated to meditation, and very soon in his life he understood that ones circumstances do not rule over ones life (he was a bastard, in a time where it drasticly limited your options in life). He was journaling aswell, thousands of pages of thoughts, ideas, sketches. He even used his journal to write down simple things so he wouldn't need to remember them (like what he would have to buy). And I know that these things help the mind to be clear and have deeper focus, because the brain does not have to hold the information constantly, which does require mental ressources.

The last point is quite interesting aswell, maybe hinting at non-duality, but I don't know. Now my question is, was Leonardo Da Vinci such a genius that he discovered the value of all these principles, or did all of these principles make him a genius? Maybe it was a interplay of both, but I think one can learn quite a lot from him.

Glory to Israel

"Among the great things which are found among us the existence of Nothing is the greatest. This dwells in time, and stretches its limbs into the past and the future, and with these takes to itself all works that are past and those that are to come, both of nature and of the animals, and possesses nothing of the indivisible present. It does not however extend to the essence of anything. c.a. 398 v. d"

-- Leonardo Da Vinci

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Respect. Just watched the 5 part series on YouTube about Leonardo. What an absolute beast of a human being - he could've used PD in some areas, but oh the flow levels on that guy holy Toledo 

I just read the book two weeks ago. It's amazing how an intuitive understanding he had. Some of his work has so much depth and he is so eloquent in the way het puts things. Just like leo's qoute above, to say something like that in that time period is amazing. I wonder how deep his understanding really did go. He had some deep grasps with the infinite for sure.

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

Leonardo da Vinci