Gesundheit2

What is corruption?

19 posts in this topic

Probably something like Trump creating a Twitter app  because he was banned from Facebook, and naming it "Truth Social".

3.2 billions xD

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@AdroseAkise @Shin Guys I just want a definition. I don't need lectures or examples.

From your perspective, how do you define corruption?

To make this easier, for me, corruption is the act of going around and finding loopholes within the law and exploiting it without actually breaking it. So, it's in the grey area between legal and illegal.

I consider that a universal definition that applies everywhere.

What would you change about, remove from, or add to my definition?

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

On 25.10.2021 at 8:03 PM, Gesundheit2 said:

Guys I just want a definition. I don't need lectures or examples.

Definitions don't accommodate nuances well. Examples can help with that. If I were to "debunk" your definition, I would give an example where the definition doesn't apply.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

9 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Definitions don't accommodate nuances well. Examples can help with that. If I were to "debunk" your definition, I would give an example where the definition doesn't apply.

Give.

Just now, Gesundheit2 said:

Give.

Your definition assumes a system of law, but is it specifically modern law or any system of rules? Can a tribal leader be corrupt? Are the rules implicit or explicit? Can a person be corrupt with respect to personal relationships? (social/moral codes).

10 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Your definition assumes a system of law, but is it specifically modern law or any system of rules?

Any system of rules.

Can a tribal leader be corrupt?

Yes.

Are the rules implicit or explicit?

Both. But the word "corruption" deals with the explicit only. I would use the word "dishonesty" to describe the implicit form of corruption.

Can a person be corrupt with respect to personal relationships? (social/moral codes).

No, unless there's a formal declaration of some rules that they're supposed to stick to.

Edited by Gesundheit2

@Gesundheit2 On a second thought, definitions might be good for relatively simple things like corruption. I was thinking more about describing more complex things things like fields or sub-fields of psychology.

I think corruption (in the moral/legal sense) is a combination of dishonesty and exploiting an authority position.

Definitions also tend to collapse when trying to categorize objects. For example, what is the definition of a chair? There are many things that you would want to categorize as a chair that is hard to fit into an universal definition.

25 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

@Gesundheit2 On a second thought, definitions might be good for relatively simple things like corruption.

And yet somehow the most confusion happens with the simplest and clearest things ¬¬

Humans are interesting.

Corruption is when someone or something perpetuates selfishness. 

There is also the second definition, which is about something being destroyed or changed from its original state, such as a computer file being corrupted. But, I don't think you're asking about that one.

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

1 hour ago, Osaid said:

Corruption is when someone or something perpetuates selfishness. 

There is also the second definition, which is about something being destroyed or changed from its original state, such as a computer file being corrupted. But, I don't think you're asking about that one.

This is the part where I would disagree with the general definition of the word. I don't think that corruption has necessarily to be stemming from selfishness. It can be stemming from good intentions, for example, if I thought certain laws were unfair and then went behind them to achieve fairness, would that be corruption? I think, yes. At least from the system's perspective. It's like fighting fire with fire.

As well, computers and bots can be corrupt if they start behaving wrong, even though they're not selfish, at least apparently haha.

8 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

It can be stemming from good intentions, for example, if I thought certain laws were unfair and then went behind them to achieve fairness, would that be corruption?

Just cause someone thinks what they are doing is good doesn't mean it isn't selfish. You can practice corruption without being aware of it, that's usually what happens. In order to be corrupt you have to first fool yourself into thinking that you're not corrupt and that whatever you're doing is justified.

You bring up a good point about perspectives. Maybe the lawmakers believe their laws to be just, and the vigilante believes their laws to be unfair and corrupt. In either case, both parties believe the other to be corrupt. But also, just cause you think someone is corrupt or selfish doesn't mean they actually are. The idea that someone else is corrupt could simply be an excuse for you to practice your own corruption on them, which could be the case here from either party.

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

to reduce another's consciousness whether deliberate or inadvertent

the opposite is to edify which is actualized.org  in a nutshell 

1 hour ago, Osaid said:

Just cause someone thinks what they are doing is good doesn't mean it isn't selfish. You can practice corruption without being aware of it, that's usually what happens. In order to be corrupt you have to first fool yourself into thinking that you're not corrupt and that whatever you're doing is justified.

You bring up a good point about perspectives. Maybe the lawmakers believe their laws to be just, and the vigilante believes their laws to be unfair and corrupt. In either case, both parties believe the other to be corrupt. But also, just cause you think someone is corrupt or selfish doesn't mean they actually are. The idea that someone else is corrupt could simply be an excuse for you to practice your own corruption on them, which could be the case here from either party.

Corruption is defined relative to an existing system of rules. It's not arbitrary. We can deconstruct the rules and the concept of corruption, but that's another discussion.

6 minutes ago, gettoefl said:

to reduce another's consciousness whether deliberate or inadvertent

How can someone reduce another person's consciousness?

4 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Language, manipulation of symbols. Designed to trigger survival programs. That would be one way.

This thread is getting ridiculous. Just look up the definition on google.

4 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

every interaction wakes you or dulls you

hopefully this website is doing the former if it wasn't it would be corrupting you namely diverting you from truth