Thorsten Fuzzi

Physical Strength Training as Spiritual Practice

20 posts in this topic

Hello there! Is there anyone that does physical strength training for its spiritual benefits (ego-dissolution, embodiment, etc.)? Although most people certainly practice it for very egoic reasons like exclusive identification with the body, even narcissim, getting more sex and so on, I personally see a huge potential in strength training as an integral consciousness practice. However, I struggle to really implement it and go deeper with it. I was looking for something to read or listen to. Ken Wilber was obviously ripped but I cannot find anything worthwhile by him or others. It seems there is really no literature on it.

Does somebody here practice it in that way and would like to share how they do so?

I'd appreciate any good advice or source on the topic a lot!

Love you, guys! <3

Hopefully someone who knows will swoop in and tell us. Because I was considering making a thread about this myself. Pure ego is my only motivation to lift. But then after the workout the endorphin high works wonders on mental health which makes it easier to do spiritual stuff. 

However most enlightened masters aren’t exactly jacked so it almost looks like you have to choose between the two at some point.

Elliot Hulse, Paul Chek and Aubrey Marcus are probably some good sources.

Edited by Emotionalmosquito

If physical training could make you very conscious then all the athletes and bodybuilders would be the most woke people on the planet.

Obviously that doesn't work.

I'm not saying you can't infuse consciousness into your training routines. But the idea that you will become spiritual through physical training is just a pipe dream. That's not how consciousness works.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Thorsten Fuzzi hello friend! well leo is right ron gronkowski would b jesus at this point. but in his latest vid, FUSE your spiritual practice with your training the results will be amazing me personally im still working on this but little by little im feeling the incline! 

Check out Mike Chang's flow training. He used to run Sixpack Shortcuts before it fell apart and he had a spiritual awakening (don't know which came first lol). I highly doubt it'll get you enlightened but it integrates mobility, stretching, strength and breathing/meditation.

I've been doing it for about two years now instead of going to the gym (though I do the breathing after taking a cold shower and I don't do a lot of stretching). 

Here is the full routine: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zE0yb5Hot8&ab_channel=MikeChang

On 24/10/2021 at 11:37 PM, Thorsten Fuzzi said:

Does somebody here practice it in that way and would like to share how they do so?

You can use strength training as an extended sort of meditation.

While you exercise, you can shift all your focus to muscle contraction/extension. Feel deeply into your body. 

If you are looking for inspiration, check out David Goggins or Tavi Castro. 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:37 PM, Thorsten Fuzzi said:

physical strength training for its spiritual benefits (ego-dissolution, embodiment, etc.)?

Can you explain that process, how does strength training result in ego-dissolution, embodiment, etc? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

High-intensity exercise can put you into transpersonal states if you're already inclined towards those things. But so can cooking food, or just sitting.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Meditating for 2 hours or working out for 2 hours

Whichever one is harder for you, do that one

@Leo Gura  I see your point. Well, I'm not trying to "get spiritual" through this process. That would be an escape from being the consciousness I already am. Rather, I'm trying to live as It while being a person and therfore using physicality as an anchor point in the human experience. I hope this makes sense… Thanks for your response :)

Edited by Thorsten Fuzzi

On 26.10.2021 at 9:25 PM, Nahm said:

Can you explain that process, how does strength training result in ego-dissolution, embodiment, etc? 

I certainly don't have a final opinion on it. That's why I'm here. But I can tell you from experience that strength training can be an intense way of making the mind single-focused by "zooming" into the experience or out of it with your ENTIRE being without loosing contact to the body.

Edited by Thorsten Fuzzi

@Terell Kirby LOL actually it's the other way round... I've had a determined spiritual practice for years and only took up weight lifting recently.

@GoobyBooby I don't think that's great advice. The ego can get identified with struggle in order to survive disguised as forceful "growth".

12 minutes ago, Thorsten Fuzzi said:

strength training can be an intense way of making the mind single-focused by "zooming" into the experience or out of it with your ENTIRE being without loosing contact to the body.

I agree. Very true in this experience also. However, I can’t say (ime) it’s related to ego-dissolution, embodiment or is integral. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Fitness can be a byproduct of spiritual practice. 

Once the natural order takes over, the body is seen as and is infinite intelligence.

In seeing this, exercising is like witnessing a hardware/software update on this body, down to the cellular level.

Think I agree with @Nahm

I would say it works the opposite, and working with @Michael569 has helped with this, that naturally it goes from a fully egoic pursuit (I mean part of it stays, I think you naturally want to look good, like when you get ready you still want to wear nice clothes, smell nice, do your hair etc) to a more holistic approach of doing it for the love of your body, to feel good, to build healthy habits and because you enjoy it. Same as any sport. 

Of course, you can also use your spirituality to improve your workouts, improve mind / body connection, focus in the gym, improve nutrition, focus on sports you love, which may not be strength training. 

Overall, I'd say, like with any other area of your life, spirituality will improve your Strength Training, and maybe you can use aspects for integration and what not, but I'd say the benefits of it lie far more in the 'Human Realm'- just feeling good, healthy habits, building discipline, confidence, looking good etc, but overall 'The Gym' is defo one of the best habits & activities when done right. (and exercise / sport / nutrition overall) 

Remember, life should be fun & enjoyable. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi