Leo Gura

Leo's Practical Guide To Enlightenment

616 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura I said something here in response to what you said. I find it important. Let us know what you think, but don't misunderstand what I said.

This is the best I could explain it. Don't get me wrong. It's 100% your choice to do whatever you want. However, when you comment like this, there seems to be lots of gaps. Something is missing. I'm just trying my best to fill in the context.

What about this? It brings up questions and more thoughts. Nevertheless, just keep trying your best. It all boils down to nothing -- not a pointless one, but an "awesome" one, an awesome story.

Saying spiritual stuff is interesting. The person cannot use too many metaphors or say it in such a "painted" sweet way that it sugar-coats the meaning too much. At the same time, if you say it too directly, it may sound like an insult to the other person. The person may think you're "projecting."

did the exercise lastnight and felt so present and aware Thank u Leo 

"Could I put a word to that point? The point of where the Ox takes you, and yes, I could put a word to it, and that word is love." -Shinzen Young (@7:25)

Leo shares some really amazing practical tips! 

Been applying them for a while and the results are obvious. My perspective on life and the way I see everything (including the illusion of self) changed big time. Thanks, Leo!

I usually combine these guidelines with "The Present", a text that expands a bit more on the nature of self (nothingness), the mental distractions, etc. Very powerful combination; I'd definitely suggest it to everyone.

I'm confused about the difference between illusion and consciousness. If the self is an illusion, why does it matter to become conscious that it is an illusion? Whether I am conscious of what reality is or not, reality is still reality. Right now, the exact stage of consciousness I have, is reality, isn't it? No matter how I describe it, even if it is illusion, it is exactly what it is. And even my beliefs about it are exactly what reality is as well?

When I believe that the earth is flat, the belief of the earth being flat is reality. It is existing, whether it is illusion or not. What is the difference between being fully immerse in it or being conscious of it being illusion? It doesn't change the truth, because the truth is the truth no matter what state of consciousness exists. What does it matter whether a state of reality is what we call "enlightened" or whether it is "non-enlightened", I mean both of them are reality as it is, one including complete immersion and the other does not. Though I guess it is just total immersion in a new state, because at every state one is always totally immersed in reality as it is.

Isn't becoming conscious of truth itself changing reality and thus changing the truth? Because to a bird, the truth is being a bird. To an enlightened being the truth/reality is non-duality. Wouldn't accepting reality truly also mean accepting the illusion and the resistance, and isn't that what I already am doing? Isn't it in fact the only thing I can do? No matter what I do, I am surrendering exactly to what is happening, because it is happening. I am surrendering to resistance, to ignorance and non-consciousness.

Aren't we all already in a state of not knowing, or just being as we are? Aren't we all absolutely immersed in the present moment? How could we be otherwise? The moment is everything that exists, including illusions about past and future. But these illusions are here, and even if we believe those illusions, that is still reality as it is. There is no way to escape the truth because everything is the truth as it is. 

Isn't the existence of the chirping bird itself a complete surrender to reality? Isn't everything that happens at all a complete surrender to reality as it is, because that is what reality is! No matter how reality changes, no matter what ignorance ceases to be, it all is at every single stage reality precisely as it is. Isn't us trying to rid ourselves of illusion resistance? But the mind blowing thing seems to be that even the resistance of illusion itself is part of the surrender.

I don't know how to put this into words, but isn't suffering itself a surrender to reality because it is reality? When I am a dying child in africa, is that not consciousness being completely immersed in it's creation? Why is immersion any less reality that non-immersion/enlightenment? There is a striving for the end of suffering, but even that striving is illusion isn't it? 

I guess what I am saying is basically, isn't illusion itself illusion, and thus isn't everything just plainly exactly what it is? Even the change of that which we call enlightenment, isn't that itself just exactly what it is, and the idea of what it is as well just exactly what it is?

So when I believe in the outer world and the self, why are we calling these things illusions. The belief in an outer world is nothing but the belief in an outer world, and the total immersion in the belief of an outer world is nothing but the total immersion in the belief of the outer world. Thus the realization of the illusory nature of the self itself is nothing but the realization of the illusory nature of the self. And even the belief that the outer world is reality is nothing but the belief that the outer world is reality! It's all already reality, it is self-describing itself at all times because that's all it can do. It is exactly what exists, just the way it exists, because it cannot be any other way.

I don't understand anymore, I am completely confused about enlightenment. Isn't everything that exists enlightenment? What's the point in seeking it other than the seeking it? I don't even k

now why I am asking this question it doesn't make any sense.

When you say "No, you are confusing ideas with what is actually there!", isn't that still reality as it is? Isn't the confusion about reality also part of reality exactly as it is? My question is, why is any stage of consciousness more truthful than any other when reality cannot help itself but be exactly what it is either way? It always is exactly what it is, including all ignorance, all ideas, all experience, everything. 

And how am I even able to think about any of this?

Wouldn't complete and utter enlightenment just create a huge circle that leads back to unconsciousness? Meaning that complete enlightenment would be such a radically surrender that it would lead back to surrendering to ignorance, limitation, dualism and thus create reality as it is exactly before enlightenment? Wouldn't full enlightenment just lead to becoming an ant again and being completely immerse in the existence of anthood, including that "ignorance" that comes with being an ant? Including total immersion in ego? Wouldn't that mean that the experience of ant is included in total and absolute enlightenment? Wouldn't it be a huge circle that repeats itself into infinity? Isn't that what is already happening no matter what we are?

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

Leo also said: "Open mindedness" is the only path to light, which is right.

Leo is always right except for one thing.

See line 1.

I like this video the most:

Especially, starting around 34:40--very inspiring. But, what I do notice is, we, as individual human beings, cannot tell others the answers to their life. They have to discover it for themselves, including the most profound things. For some, the journey ends when they think they found the answer from someone they respect. Nope, it never happens that way. That answer or advice could end up backfiring on them. There are always other options and other things to explore. Only you know how to narrow it down for yourself. Everyone has to go through their own Hero's Journey to discover their life purpose and their spiritual paths themselves. We can only drop hints for others, not try to tell them the answers. They need to do what's best for them, not how we feel is best for them.

On 12/06/2018 at 9:03 AM, Key Elements said:

"Could I put a word to that point? The point of where the Ox takes you, and yes, I could put a word to it, and that word is love." -Shinzen Young (@7:25)

"What's the point to live if I'm naturally and  totally satisfied ?

Love,

That's the point."

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

8 hours ago, Shin said:

"What's the point to live if I'm naturally and  totally satisfied ?

Love,

That's the point."

How is your journey so far? Were you able to find that kind of love from the nothingness delivered to you from you by you via singularity? :) Were you able to apply it in this life in some way? Yes, if you are totally satisfied, that is fine. That's what it is. We all have different paths. It's not anyone's job to coerce someone else to walk their spiritual path. If something doesn't make sense to you, forget it. Maybe it's not your time to understand whatever the other person said. It's not meant to be. Each info presented in the world is only meant to be a pointer. Shinzen Young said it beautifully. He's very articulate. 

If you resist doing self-inquiry, put some music on (with headphone).

It works best with lyricless track that are calm or uplifting, but not hardcore.

God is love

And God in them

I see a pointer in this profound relationships clip. At around 2:25, he said, "We want to keep chasing love, but we don't actually want to fall into it." Falling into it refers to falling back into our ego via singularity from the nothingness. Then, there's this intense love. He might have had an awakening or is aware of it.

On 11/09/2018 at 9:25 PM, Key Elements said:

How is your journey so far? Were you able to find that kind of love from the nothingness delivered to you from you by you via singularity? :) Were you able to apply it in this life in some way? Yes, if you are totally satisfied, that is fine. That's what it is. We all have different paths. It's not anyone's job to coerce someone else to walk their spiritual path. If something doesn't make sense to you, forget it. Maybe it's not your time to understand whatever the other person said. It's not meant to be. Each info presented in the world is only meant to be a pointer. Shinzen Young said it beautifully. He's very articulate. 

Sorry, I didn't saw your post until now ?

No I didn't, but I finally truly grasped that no experience whatsoever can be fulfilling.

I thought I did earlier, but It was just a belief that I had sealed very deeply into my mind to not get the experienced that I needed to truly grasp it.

I'm in a weird place where nothing is satisfying, but at the same time I don't need anything too, without being awakened in any way.

It's a dry state, I can't articulate it otherwise, but I'm sure you understand what I mean by that ?

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

On 10/2/2018 at 0:40 PM, Shin said:

Sorry, I didn't saw your post until now ?

No I didn't, but I finally truly grasped that no experience whatsoever can be fulfilling.

I thought I did earlier, but It was just a belief that I had sealed very deeply into my mind to not get the experienced that I needed to truly grasp it.

I'm in a weird place where nothing is satisfying, but at the same time I don't need anything too, without being awakened in any way.

It's a dry state, I can't articulate it otherwise, but I'm sure you understand what I mean by that ?

Time for the Heart!

Edited by okulele

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

6 minutes ago, okulele said:

Time for the Heart!

oh yeah thanks, I need to bookmark that video, too many people think if you awaken you get all aspects all at once directly :) 

God is love

And God in them

@Leo Gura @ajasatya

Reading this guide, I get terrified and super excited at the same time. A curiosity inside of me just kind of NEED to know what the hell you all are talking about.. "after dying several times I stop being afraid of it"  etc. I don't think I can say I lived my life fully without at least trying to experience this truth. 

That said, I went into personal development to end a lot of unnecessary suffering in my life, change bad habits, addiction and finding my true purpose/career in life. In the guide, Leo mentions that enlightenment is NOT things like A psychological change, Emotional mastery, The cure to all your bad habits and evil ways, A form of self-improvement or self-help etc. 

My question is: how much impact does enlightenment have on these areas? Could seeking enlightenment benefit finding life purpose, self-esteem and dealing with emotional problems? Or is enlightenment a completely different domain? 

ANSWER FROM VIDEO The benefits of enlightenment  - What I can expect from enlightenment?

• A massive reduction in the level of my own suffering (micro level suffering). Such as being annoyed, being bored, judgmental that make people depressed, neurotic, bitter etc.
  • Freedom from worrying, doubts, fear or anxiety.
  • A permanent end to overthinking. Being able to just enjoy the present moment.
  • Immunity to heavy emotions like deep anger, sadness, deep loneliness. They will no longer affect you in the same way.
  • The end of addictive behaviours. Both heavy addictive behaviour and soft addictions.
  • The end of worrying about what people think of you. An end to abscessing over yourself.
  • A permanent end to striving in life. "how to get more money, power, status, love" and obsessing about how to get these things.
  • A stop to loneliness and neediness for approval or love, respect and other attachments.
  • eliminate Neurosis.
  • Take away a lot of stress from your life.
  • Less need for sleep, and much more physical energy. Stop wasting energy on worrying and other neurotic behaviours.
  • Enlightenment is the whole path, the journey that begins your real actualization. This totally opens you up to transform into what you truly want to become.
  • A way to deal with chronic pain.
  • Puts you in touch with your body.
  • A longer life and better health.
  • Deep self-acceptance and deep self-love.
  • Enables true love. Powerful and authentic relationships (all relationships, friends, your boss, family etc.).
  • The deepest understanding of truth that a human being can get.
  • Death without regrets (to BE more instead of DOING more).
  • Better relationship towards society, the world and other human beings (human race).
  • You being enlightened greatly improves the world.
  • Life becomes satisfying to you again, more like the effortlessness of when you were a child. Living from a place of "being in the zone, no matter what".
  • Unconditional happiness and peace of mind.

At 36:36 into the video comes the "so what's the cost" part of the video. I excluded that in this answer since that was not relevant for my question.

Edited by Fredrik Andersson
Found answers to my own question

13 minutes ago, Fredrik Andersson said:

My question is: how much impact does enlightenment have on these areas? Could seeking enlightenment benefit finding life purpose, self-esteem and dealing with emotional problems? Or is enlightenment a completely different domain? 

Your worldview will change radically on 'these areas'. But it will not be like installing a set of beliefs and definitions. Or like upgrading your states from 70 to 100.

Then see whether a thing can stand like before if it is actually seen in a new light. That's something you'd have to go to that 'place' and see for yourself.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

Yeah I'm still a newbie to self-inquiry/enlightenment (all of self-development, really). I'm quite scared of enlightenment, to be honest. Still trying to develop an interest in truth. The way that I do self-inquiry is through journaling. I deeply reflect on my thoughts, emotions, and actions, and sometimes I focus on one specific issue I face (e.g. why do I feel jealousy when I talk to certain people, and where does that stem from?). Don't know if this is a good way to self-inquire. I think that it helps.

I came across you videos on Youtube.

I had an extremely logical mind set.

Im lucky it was open as well.

Ive come very far on my path.

I lacked tools and understand.

Im greatfull thank you.

Edited by Bert
Bad spelling

Hi, My name is Anna currently living in Australia. I’ve been looking for something more than just the material values all my life, it just seemed way too boring for me. I’ve been doing yoga and meditation for a while, but didn’t get much of spiritual growth, I knew how to speak about it but never truly felt connected. Recently I went to a retreat in Europe and I was blown away with how blind I was before, divided by my ego walls from life through constantly having all of my attention on myself, my problems and desires, while the life was passing by. Simply because I never new how to interact with it, how to TRULY be right here and right now. There at  the retreat I’ve been given an instruction and I’ve become so much more connected with life, I have experienced a deep presence in the moment that I don’t think there are words to express it, I just felt deep happiness that was filling me and was glowing through everywhere. Just wanted to share this for these that are in Europe maybe it can help you to become more connected with life and with your Higher-Self too… https://en.givinschool.org