john1

Is there any value in learning an instrument?

12 posts in this topic

Would I learn or gain anything by learning to play an instrument? I'm asking because I have a full 88 key Casio keyboard piano collecting dust in my house. My dad bought it a while back because it was on sale. I opened it and took it out a year ago, but then put it back because it was too boring and hard and I lost my motivation to learn it.

I wanted to play the piano after watching "Your Lie in April," a super beautiful and inspirational show centered around piano playing.

So, should I take out the piano and try to learn it again, or is learning an instrument a waste of time? If it's not a waste of time, then what value does it give me to learn how to play it?

Music can be an expression of the soul. But if you dont feel called to play it may be a waste of time for you. 

"You Create Magic" 

Yes yes yes!

From a purely practical point of view learning to play an instrument engages all the major senses. You need vision to read music, hearing to hear the music - obviously - and touch to coordinate the hands or breathing. If you play with other people then it's also a social activity. So it can sharpen up your senses with practice. Never mind brain training apps, all you need is to learn an instrument.

My own theory is that because the language areas of the brain are very closely linked to the motor areas (hand movement), playing an instrument can also improve your speaking ability, because there's crossover. But also the listening skills needed to play music transfer over to talking and conversational skills too.

From a more aesthetic point of view, just learning to playing music you love, is very rewarding. That is the main reason I would have for learning an instrument. But some people like to entertain other people, so that could be a good motivation too. Find a piece of music that excites you and learn it on your keyboard, that should be enough to get you hooked.

Not everyone is musical though, I would say if you don't have that much enthusiasm for practice then give up on it and do something else instead.

All stories and explanations are false.

>> Is there any value in learning an instrument?

ABSOLUTELY!

It sort of helps acquire (decoding) "filters" which evolve better in diversity, promoting deeper appreciation that connects the inner-self beyond vocabulary and so much more directly.  Without distortions of language itself shaped by culture.  M'well, music does it too but to some lesser degree.

In any case the younger the better!  And if no instruments are available then perhaps just sing!

Yeah, ever heard of having fun?

Think it maybe fun, then try it.

Yeah. Having fun but also learning how mastery works. To stick with it is the hard part like with any other skill. 

9 hours ago, BlackMaze said:

Yeah. Having fun but also learning how mastery works. To stick with it is the hard part like with any other skill. 

Why master something you don’t enjoy doing or have interest in.

You can approach learning an instrument like practicing a martial art. Sure you gotta learn a whole lot of kicks, punches and whatnot. But the real reason to do it is to practice core values and principles that will help you throughout your entire life!

Many people confuse mastering somrething with devoting ones entire life purpose to it. You can play your keyboard for just 30min or so each weak. But if you consistently show up to those 30min with a serious attitude, you will inevitably experience some of the fruits of mastery!

However, don't do it, just because you feel obligated to do it. Harness some inner motivation.

Also, I recommend reading Victor Wootens "The music lesson" if you want to really inspire yourself about practicing music!

One path could be listening to videos, teachers, reading books, taking reiki or similar classes, understanding & learning about the chakras, science, quantum mechanics, physics, metaphysics, theories, concepts, the spheres, exploring substances and adopting the practices to learn to allow the mind to quiet via focusing on feeling breathing from the stomach, self inquiry, etc. 

Another path could be recognizing a thought is a thought, and playing guitar or piano, singing & creating music and songs. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Ascent X no point at all. To actually quit things fast is a valuable skill. But you may actually enjoy something and quit because you are clueless about how mastery works or too weak. Mastery it's tough.