Gabith

Maybe I need more suffering in my life

10 posts in this topic

I had a little insight, when I was introspecting in my living room, I was thinking that when winter comes, I should go outside for a walk with no shirt on stay outside as long as I can, while being conscious of the suffering I feel.

I think I need that in my life, I live in Europe and everything is easy, confortable, I don't feel like a man enough. It's like I'm totally conditioned by my culture, we have access to food, warm water, cinemas, music etc.... everything is easy if we compare to some other places on the planet. And yet I find myself complaining for shallow things, little problems... I think about vikings, ancient civilizations where people were very bold and masculine, they had a complete different mentality and more strenght than me.

I think that if I put consciously myself in pain, it will grow me and I eventually feel more masculine and confident but I'm not totally sure because I've never tried this before.

What do you guys think ? Do you have others tips to become more "strong", "masculine" and more "grounded" ?

sorry for my english

As someone who has had to deal with quite a bit emotionally, I would say regarding growth, don't seek out suffering for the sake of suffering or for the sake of growth. I would say that if anything, given how easy your life is as you say, that means you have a really good foundation to do inner work. Commit to your life purpose, go out and experience life, build healthy and sustainable relationships with your friends and family. Let those experiences be your teachers. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

If you're inspired to do some things you think are uncomfortable, do them. It's exhilarating to see that they really aren't what we think, it's just the thoughts that create that discomfort. This really doesn't have anything to do with gender, if you think it does, go read some natural birthing discussions somewhere. xD

There's also hypothermia, and frostbite. And there are an incredible variety of clothes that allow you to enjoy the outdoors in almost any weather, if that's what inspires you. I would say the lesson from Wim Hoff is that when one acts out of inspiration, they are immune to these ill effects, but from experience I can say that when we act out of trying to prove something to ourselves to avoid the discomfort of being some lacking way we think we are but really aren't, there are some consequences. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 hour ago, Gabith said:

What do you guys think ? Do you have others tips to become more "strong", "masculine" and more "grounded" ?

Take cold showers. 

1 hour ago, soos_mite_ah said:

As someone who has had to deal with quite a bit emotionally, I would say regarding growth, don't seek out suffering for the sake of suffering or for the sake of growth. I would say that if anything, given how easy your life is as you say, that means you have a really good foundation to do inner work. Commit to your life purpose, go out and experience life, build healthy and sustainable relationships with your friends and family. Let those experiences be your teachers. 

This is great advice. :)

I've personally witnessed someone attempt to put themselves into more situations of suffering for the sake of growth. It was a disaster and the suffering they sought in order to grow was not the lesson they needed to learn. Rather that suffering amplified many times over creating situations that were unforeseen prior to taking this mindset creating an incredible amount of loss and sorrow for themselves and those attached to them.

But, I don't want to make it seem more scary than it should be. The irony in all of this is they did learn their lesson and grow from it an enormous amount. Also, everyone involved was also put into a better position in life after their suffering ended as well. But, I'm just trying to reinforce the idea of trial via suffering. Let's just say, you literally do not know what you are signing up for. Be mindful of this, not just for yourself, but for others that may be caught up in the waves you will generate.

I'll also add I'm unsure if they desire to purposely suffer was born out of wanting to truly change, boredom, devilry, deep intuition, or a combination of all.

Edited by Nos7algiK

2 hours ago, Gabith said:

What do you guys think ?

I live in the Netherlands. And yes. Its like a hedonistic pleasure dome out here. Its boring as fuck. 

Camping is something you can do. I did some volunteer work at a campsite for food and just lived outside from early spring till early summer. I slept in a hammock and spend most my time goofing around in nature. 

This was in 2020 so due to corona my options where limited, I originally wanted to go to Sweden and camp out there in the woods and live like a dirty bum for a month or so. 

You get used to being dirty and outside rather quickly though. It just becomes the new normal. Comfort is relative. 

Make some serious spiritual progress, and you will probably have some good run-ins with suffering. The shirt off in the winter thing is a good idea IMO if you’re already thinking about it. I did it too once. One time I recorded for like 2 hours outside when we had a polar vortex, and it was so cold the police pulled over to stop me. Good times. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

6 hours ago, Gabith said:

Do you have others tips to become more "strong", "masculine" and more "grounded" ?

The grounded, strong masculine approach would be to help others with suffering (vs creating suffering). When you do you both experience growth. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

If it feels healthy, do it.  See how it goes.  

Healthy vs. Unhealthy suffering.  

Cold showers vs. Guilt and physical pain from eating too much today.

I suppose anything unhealthy suffering can also be seen as healthy as well since it may lead you to change and grow in the end... It all be perspective I suppose. 

Maybe getting clear on why you want to do it is the wisest way to determine whether you should do something or not.  And feeling and seeing if that motivation seems healthy or unhealthy, positive or negative, coming from love or fear/hate.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

suffer and enjoy is the same thing in truth

maybe if you understand what suffering really is, you could then go beyond ... this is called the 4 Noble Truths

according to Buddha you will keep suffering in millions of lifetimes until you do this

to long didn't read: you are not the body that you think you are