Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
opeli

I let my mind wander and I enjoyed it more than actual meditation

9 posts in this topic

I fear I am developing a bad habit. So I've been trying meditation on and off for the past little while, but I just can't seem to get into it :/

So today I figured I'd give it another try. I got a few minutes into it and my mind wanted to wander more and more, so finally I thought fine, we'll take a short break and take off the leash. It was ecstasy. I felt like I was a kid again on a road trip just staring out the window, thinking about anything and everything as countless hours of farmland rolled by.

The odd thing is, I had some profound thoughts during this time, much like the kind people post about here. I continued this until the end of my meditation session and it was great.

Is this a bad habit? Are those profound thoughts a red herring, my id making an attempt to seduce me? I fear that if I go too far down this path it will become harder to do actual meditation. At the same time, I sometimes question if I'll ever really get into meditation because I often find it a chore :/. Letting thoughts pass and focusing on your body is tough for me :/

You seem to be a true newbie regardless of how many posts belonging to you exist. This bizarre conclusion you came to is false and your reasoning is flawed. Bu it is normal for beginners like you. Just do not give up trying. Also do not insist on constantly using the same method either because the method you are using is silly or because you are not well prepared for that specific method.

meditation is better if it feels good ... one of my best meditations is to get in bed during the day and chill

1 hour ago, opeli said:

I fear I am developing a bad habit. So I've been trying meditation on and off for the past little while, but I just can't seem to get into it :/

So today I figured I'd give it another try. I got a few minutes into it and my mind wanted to wander more and more, so finally I thought fine, we'll take a short break and take off the leash. It was ecstasy. I felt like I was a kid again on a road trip just staring out the window, thinking about anything and everything as countless hours of farmland rolled by.

The odd thing is, I had some profound thoughts during this time, much like the kind people post about here. I continued this until the end of my meditation session and it was great.

Is this a bad habit? Are those profound thoughts a red herring, my id making an attempt to seduce me? I fear that if I go too far down this path it will become harder to do actual meditation. At the same time, I sometimes question if I'll ever really get into meditation because I often find it a chore :/. Letting thoughts pass and focusing on your body is tough for me :/

If you don’t enjoy it in some way, you won’t do it enough for it to work on you. Let this go for a while, and in a couple weeks, try using a regular focus object such as your breath or a repeating sound in the room to pay attention to instead of the thoughts. You can also try guided and music meditations starting out. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

@opeli good! Let the mind go crazy, like sit down and melt into the chaos.

Let thought be free, trust it to work without You needing to do something about it. Eventually in its freedom, thought remembers its own innocence and rests as itself in itself (sounds confusing I know). 

The BIGGEST mistake people make is thinking that meditation is about forcing yourself into some state of sharp focus and calm. 

3 hours ago, Fearless_Bum said:

The BIGGEST mistake people make is thinking that meditation is about forcing yourself into some state of sharp focus and calm. 

Completely agree with this - I like Adyashanti's take on it: 'True meditation isn't about mastering a technique, it's about letting go of control'. He also gives the simple instruction in relation to meditation to 'allow everything to be as it is', which is the most effective approach for my money.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

On 10/20/2021 at 3:16 PM, opeli said:

Is this a bad habit? Are those profound thoughts a red herring, my id making an attempt to seduce me? I fear that if I go too far down this path it will become harder to do actual meditation. At the same time, I sometimes question if I'll ever really get into meditation because applinked I often find it a chore :/. Letting thoughts pass and focusing on your body is tough for me :/

Thanks everyone for the openions.

Edited by opeli
Spelling mistake