Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psych2Awak3n

Self administered CBT for social anxiety?

2 posts in this topic

I'm looking into doing self CBT for my social anxiety which is moderately severe (get very tense if people get close to me, blush easily if i'm the center of attention, avoid social situations, mind goes blank when trying to talk)

Has anyone here tried this? Not only for social anxiety but for any anxiety. Would love to hear your experiences and tips/tricks or a guide on how this is done?

Hi

I have social anxiety too and it is a hell of a condition. So what is happening in social anxiety is that your brain has been conditioned to fear any sort of conflict with others and you are actively worried if others don't like you or have some sort of bad image of you. You have been doing this since childhood mostly and it is related to your genetics ( common in introverts) and bad life experiences with people (abuse by your parents). So what to do? I have found that the best way to deal with social anxiety is to break out of the limiting beliefs in your subconscious mind. Some of these beliefs are that you have weak social skills, that you are weak and that you are somewhat abnormal and others are better than you and you must work hard just to fit in. You are constantly worried about other people liking you or not and you are always trying to fit in which ironically doesn't allow you to fit in genuinely.

1. So you must start on a daily basis working out these thoughts and explaining to yourself how wrong they are and how you should not trust any of them and how they are holding you back. This won't be easy at first as your mind will resist letting go of such thoughts and will try to convince you otherwise. So this is the first step, letting go of limiting beliefs.
  2. Start labeling limiting beliefs and thoughts as bad and start practicing ignoring them. Also, start labeling being confident and strong as good thoughts and start practicing listening to them 
  3. Next step is active visualization. You must start visualizing your life as this confident alpha male that doesn't give a shit and is so free to express his/her full spectrum of emotions. And You must start doing this on a daily basis for 10- 15 minutes at least two times a  day.
  4. In addition to visualization, you must start actively giving yourself Love, pure unconditional love. You are weak and shy because you lack self-love for yourself so you are actively chasing the love of others too you and you are too scared of others hating or judging you. This needs to be changed. Self-love will make you so satisfied with yourself that you don't care whether people loved you or not. So start standing in front of the mirror every day and express how much you love yourself. Give yourself all the love and acceptance it needs. practice this 10-15 minutes at least two times a day 
  5. Also, it is very important to start embodying the masculine side inside of you. You are too afraid of conflict with others that you suppressed any kind of masculine energy in you. You are a repressed individual. start practicing expressing your masculinity in healthy ways. let it be free to stop repressing your masculinity. a good balance between masculinity and feminity is essential. Both should be expressed in healthy ways and both should be appreciated. Without a good integration of masculinity, you will be always weak and people will easily exploit and manipulate you. Masculinity is good and essential, stop demonizing it!
  6. The final step is the most essential which is to socialize more in an active and conscious manner. Start practicing being real and authentic in your relationships with others. Start expressing your emotions, anger, hate, love, or surprise fully and without limits. Start making conflicts with others if you have to.  You will be surprised at how good it is to be authentic and strong. It is amazing!
Edited by LSD-Rumi