yetineti

Don’t understand certain aspects of materialism.

6 posts in this topic

I’ve noticed a blind spot I have. 

I really don’t understand certain aspects of materialism.

One example is the idea that the physical components of our brain create the meta-physical. I don’t understand this at all. I can’t emphasize with it at all. I don’t really even know what it means.

Or the idea that math is fundamental and not a construct. Huh?

Or that we are somehow grounded in atoms or quarks.

This is my blind spot. 

I think maybe it has to do with the fact that I sort of remember thinking this way in middle school, early high school but now that I do not maybe I’ve just repressed it.

It could also simply be just that before, my thinking, didn’t make sense and now that, I’d say, it’s clearer - it’s just like how do explain something that never really made sense?

I don’t know what causes this but it is rather annoying as I find myself somewhat unable to communicate with most people.

I used to feel the urge to try and explain how I see things (Ex: maybe metaphysics are actually responsible for the physics) but recently I kinda just feel isolated.

The world is very stage orange right now. I don’t know what I am but I know I don’t relate to the materialism.

Any ideas on how to understand materialist s better and work with them?

Or what might cause this blind spot?

It seems almost essential to be able to communicate with what seems like the vast majority of people right now; at least in the U.S.

Okay, I'll hop right to your question about how to understand/work with materialists, since I am unsure about the blind spot part. 

This is definitely an unpopular opinion around here, but I think materialism is just one way to view reality. It uses a totally scientific set of terms to describe the same things that idealism describes. I may not agree with the philosophical conclusions (i.e. the brain is creating consciousness), but as far as using it to live in the world and discuss scientific understanding, it is very useful. What I would recommend is finding the most common ground possible with other people. They may say consciousness is made by the brain, you may believe consciousness is absolute... so what? 

You are both talking about reality. That is the starting point. I have many friends who are atheist/materialist, and we still get along very well because we have similar ideas about how to construct society and behave in the world. 

36 minutes ago, mw711 said:

I’ve noticed a blind spot I have. 

I really don’t understand certain aspects of materialism.

One example is the idea that the physical components of our brain create the meta-physical. I don’t understand this at all. I can’t emphasize with it at all. I don’t really even know what it means.

Or the idea that math is fundamental and not a construct. Huh?

Or that we are somehow grounded in atoms or quarks.

This is my blind spot. 

As you said, these are ideas. 

I think maybe it has to do with the fact that I sort of remember thinking this way in middle school, early high school but now that I do not maybe I’ve just repressed it.

It could also simply be just that before, my thinking, didn’t make sense and now that, I’d say, it’s clearer - it’s just like how do explain something that never really made sense?

I don’t know what causes this but it is rather annoying as I find myself somewhat unable to communicate with most people.

I used to feel the urge to try and explain how I see things (Ex: maybe metaphysics are actually responsible for the physics) but recently I kinda just feel isolated.

The world is very stage orange right now. I don’t know what I am but I know I don’t relate to the materialism.

The world is a rainbow. 

Any ideas on how to understand materialist s better and work with them?

Meditatively let thought activity of us & them go. There aren’t materialists, materialism is a belief, an ism. Be mindful not to impose a ‘point’ on experience, communication, togetherness, etc. It is in & of itself the ‘point’. It’s definitely ok to enjoy all aspects of experience. 

Or what might cause this blind spot?

Watch out for the higher thans / above others thoughts (arrogance of knowing) & humble brags (pride of knowledge), and be mindful it is not knowledge which is suffering, only the illusion of having it. The devil consists of such thoughts, as the devil is the angel which refuses to be parallel with mankind. 

It seems almost essential to be able to communicate with what seems like the vast majority of people right now; at least in the U.S.

It’s preference. I’d make a dreamboard. After expressing much of what you desire to create & experience, people seem to change in context. It is as if they are angels, coming right out of the woodwork to help. Looks like ordinary texts, emails, phone calls, random bumping into someone, etc. Be mindful in these events of what is on your dreamboard, and of angels. Also be mindful everyone has a dream within them, and notice your own conscious angelry. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@OneHandClap

I really appreciate your response. It’s painfully simply.

I can just be really pushy and sometimes that’s hard to get past.

But you’re correct materialism is just another worldview and way of looking at things.

I need to be way more appreciative and find that common ground instead constantly trying to push people to the next thought.

@Nahm

Thank you. I do need to make a dream-board still. I think that would give me an anchor and direction I’ve never really had.

I see what you mean then how people would change in context naturally.

A lot of what you said rings softly in my head, and I know it, but I’m not it yet. It is nice to hear it from ‘somewhere else.’

53 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Watch out for the higher thans / above others thoughts (arrogance of knowing) & humble brags (pride of knowledge), and be mindful it is not knowledge which is suffering, only the illusion of having it. The devil consists of such thoughts, as the devil is the angel which refuses to be parallel with mankind.

I am slightly confused about what you said here though.

Certainly I see the ego behind my need to be perpendicular with mankind, rather parallel, the pride of knowledge part hit home -

-but I feel like I need to understand what you mean about the knowledge which is suffering.

19 minutes ago, mw711 said:

@Nahm

Thank you. I do need to make a dream-board still. I think that would give me an anchor and direction I’ve never really had.

I see what you mean then how people would change in context naturally.

A lot of what you said rings softly in my head, and I know it, but I’m not it yet. It is nice to hear it from ‘somewhere else.’

? There’s no “it”. However you are is perfect. 

I am slightly confused about what you said here though.

Certainly I see the ego behind my need to be perpendicular with mankind, rather parallel, the pride of knowledge part hit home -

-but I feel like I need to understand what you mean about the knowledge which is suffering.

There is no ego behind a need to be parallel, and there is no need to be parallel. It’s what’s already the case.  You might say we are all God’s children, or we are all the same awareness or consciousness, or that we all share that there is experience. When self referential thoughts are believed, that doesn’t seem to be the case, because in believing thoughts there seems to be a ‘separate self’.  That would be ‘the ego’, which is only an illusion of believing the thoughts. 

The believing of said thoughts is commonly referred to as ‘thought attachment’, which is suffering because it is what is not illusory identifying with what is illusory. One believes one ‘has knowledge’, and then egoic defensive mechanisms of deflection and projection dictate attitude, behavior and actions. This ‘slips under the radar’ because of the nature of beliefs, and this is what is pointed to with ‘the devil being in hell’ (suffering). 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE