caelanb

Exercise tips on how to be funny

47 posts in this topic

Thank you very much for the advice!

@BlackMaze  I don’t quite have the time to read books at the current time (plus I have a lot of other book recommendations from a lot of people about many different subjects, that’s my problem though), but I do watch funny comedy talk shows like Jimmy Fallon, Kimmel and James Corden. I enjoy those a lot, but I’m not great at thinking in those comedic frameworks (however I think their scripted to a certain extent), so I cannot replicate them in my own creative ways very well. I understand that in order to be funny in the moment you have to not be serious, but I have to be serious about trying to increase humour because then I won’t actually focus on improving it kinda like what@Nahm is saying I guess.

@AlphaAbundance  One thing that I am realizing though when doing sentence stringing exercises is that I am decent at creating random sentences on my own, because no one is listening to me or anything (not that they're funny though). But, if I do the same thing with other people around me, and hope that something funny will come out of my mouth because of the exercises, the thing will happen, I’ll either say something that makes no sense and it is not funny, or something that is offensive, and on the rare occasion something funny.

@EmptyVase

On 2021-10-23 at 2:10 PM, EmptyVase said:

Ever watched Eric Andre?

I have never heard of Eric Andre.

That's the rewiring-your-brain part. Just visualize being goofy and loose while daydreaming about random situations. Also visualize that you embarrass yourself and that you look really dumb. This hijacks your brain and gets the stick out of yo' ass.

Uhuh, this is Leo's visualization exercise right?

Context dependent humor or system of rules for humor? Hmm.

I mean context dependent humour. They are able to say something funny in response to what has happened or a question that has been asked, which reflects their spontaneity in my opinion.

Crack the not joke. (Just kidding don't crack the not joke - not)

This one doesn’t really resonate with me as much, feels a little bit too blunt if you know what I mean, but I guess if I worked on it I could find a way to make it work for me.

@FlyingLotus  Joke writing is a little too much for me at this time, I don’t think I wanna make my practise so serious as to start trying to write jokes. However, I may be losing out on some potential growth, so that may change. But thank you for the general outline! Those videos are pretty good though, lol.

On 2021-10-29 at 5:29 AM, flowboy said:

Why do you want to be funny?

@flowboy  I think I want to be funny because I am curious to see if it will make my life better, because I wouldn’t consider myself a very funny person. And also, it’s kind of a small thing I can do to help self-actualize, that isn’t too abstract and metaphysical. There could be other reasons, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

@Thought Art  Exactly what I suck at doing:D

@universe Even for the questions “Where are you from" "What do you do for work", it would take me a while to think of something funny that I can use as a response to those questions. This being the case, spontaneity is a weakness for me, and therefore I am pretty bad at thinking of something funny or sarcastic that will make people laugh if I am put on the spot or chose to put myself on the spot to be humorous. 

There was an exercise from a CoC article I read which used these same questions, which asked you to answer them in a way that made people more interested in speaking with you, in order to help make a good first impression. I did that exercise and honestly I got to nothing. The same applies to being humour with responses to questions like this.

Holy sh*t, it take a while to respond to everything, LOL.

:D

@caelanb practice relaxing your nervous system so you can ground yourself and express your authenticity. Don't try to copy anyone. When you look for tips on how to be funny, you are reinforcing the false belief that you aren't as funny as you "should" be which feels bad and turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy, because you can't be authentically funny when you feel bad. Teach your nervous system that it's safe to be yourself, funny or not :) 

2 hours ago, caelanb said:

I have never heard of Eric Andre.

Uhuh, this is Leo's visualization exercise right?

Yes.

I mean context dependent humour. They are able to say something funny in response to what has happened or a question that has been asked, which reflects their spontaneity in my opinion.

Can't conceptualize creative spontaneity.

This one doesn’t really resonate with me as much, feels a little bit too blunt if you know what I mean, but I guess if I worked on it I could find a way to make it work for me.

xD You're so serious. I told you not to crack that joke. 

Honesty flies the ship here. It can either be from the whole truth, or the kernel. You could go for something over-the-top and funny that's total bullshit, but comes from an honest escalated state. The hard part about humor, if you're deadly serious about it as I am is being non-derivative. Taking into account how many pathetic sex jokes you see at stand-up routines across the country, most people, including an inordinate amount of stand-up comics save the top 2-3% are actually even remotely funny by honest standards. 

You approach obviously depends on your audience - I'm extremely partial to John Mulaney as a favorite because he's a phenomenal storyteller who knows how to use emphasis to turn an ordinary story into a shocker that's bound to get a laugh. He's also a word-player, which works extremely well with tonal inflection. How you shape and say your lines is five times more important than what you're actually saying.

Working from rage and loneliness, while counterintuitive can be hysterical if you're willing to pay the price in confidence, but bear in mind that adhering strictly to this method can trap you in a cycle of self-destructive approval seeking. There is a lot of deep self-inquiry that goes into great humor.

The funniest thing I've heard as of late came to me through my awakening experience. The name I was born with means the house built for the love and grace of the gods, and Greco-Norse mythology has always been my interest. On top of that, both my parents are doctors (sworn by the hippocratic oath) so I'm a magnet for these entities during my shadow work. I've learned to befriend and familiarize myself with several.

One day I was contemplating the path of my life, most particularly how I'd like to die - dark humor has always been a favorite of mine, and if I can get roasted, even better. Since spaghettification by black hole seems unlikely unless an alien race with superior technology comes to visit us, I figured the most spectacular way to go would be to get a blood eagle on top of Mount Olympus. When I talked to Zeus about it, you know what he said?

"Get your fat ass outside and exercise because nobody wants to see your saggy tits on top of my mountain."

Ouch.

As a post-note, I can unpack this A LOT because this is my area of study, from absurdist philosophy to general wisecracking. Likely more so than Leo (in this area), because art is all I focus on. On top of that, I learned from a young age that being funny enough allows you to get away with everything. Tension, timing and awareness are the elements always at play among others. But I'll wait for a response before I go further.

Edited by Bjorn_Wyrd

3 hours ago, caelanb said:

@universe Even for the questions “Where are you from" "What do you do for work", it would take me a while to think of something funny that I can use as a response to those questions.

Thats why I recommended you take your time to think about it. You need practice. Every skill you want to learn takes practice.

On 2021-11-15 at 2:04 PM, Farnaby said:

practice relaxing your nervous system so you can ground yourself and express your authenticity. Don't try to copy anyone. When you look for tips on how to be funny, you are reinforcing the false belief that you aren't as funny as you "should" be which feels bad and turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy, because you can't be authentically funny when you feel bad. Teach your nervous system that it's safe to be yourself, funny or not :) 

@Farnaby Do you mean not being in fight or flight mode when you say the nervous system is relaxed? Or do you mean being in some sort of meditative state? I do feel pretty calm when I socialize with people (not in fight or flight), however, sometimes I get kind of ‘excited’ when my emotions carry me away (unusually happened later on during interaction. I think you are probably right, I don’t give myself enough credit for my humour, because I do say some funny things every once in a while, though I'd like to increase it I guess. But, when I say tips/advice I guess I mean tricks that I can use to help turn on my funny filter and make it easier to come in and out of it, such as staying calm as you said.

@EmptyVase

Tbh that video is a little f*cked up.

On 2021-11-15 at 3:39 PM, EmptyVase said:

Yes.

I have not been doing that as an exercise. I've been doing the sentence stringing one and I don't notice any improvements (I don't make myself laugh more than I did when I began), though I have only been at it for less than on month.

Can't conceptualize creative spontaneity.

But isn’t it true to a certain extent?

You're so serious. I told you not to crack that joke.

That one is honestly a little bit confusing. You said not to use it as a joke then (as part of the joke)? So I just don't use it.

@Bjorn_Wyrd

On 2021-11-15 at 4:42 PM, Bjorn_Wyrd said:

Honesty flies the ship here. It can either be from the whole truth, or the kernel. You could go for something over-the-top and funny that's total bullshit, but comes from an honest escalated state. The hard part about humor, if you're deadly serious about it as I am is being non-derivative. Taking into account how many pathetic sex jokes you see at stand-up routines across the country, most people, including an inordinate amount of stand-up comics save the top 2-3% are actually even remotely funny by honest standards. 

What do you mean by non-derivative? Being funny is also a very subjective thing in my opinion, so it’s hard to judge humour by honest standards, those standards wouldn’t be agreed on by everyone.

You approach obviously depends on your audience - I'm extremely partial to John Mulaney as a favorite because he's a phenomenal storyteller who knows how to use emphasis to turn an ordinary story into a shocker that's bound to get a laugh. He's also a word-player, which works extremely well with tonal inflection. How you shape and say your lines is five times more important than what you're actually saying.

I agree that how you say something is as, if not more important than what you say.

Working from rage and loneliness, while counterintuitive can be hysterical if you're willing to pay the price in confidence, but bear in mind that adhering strictly to this method can trap you in a cycle of self-destructive approval seeking. There is a lot of deep self-inquiry that goes into great humor.

I’m not sure what you mean by working with rage and loneliness. Are you saying to make jokes about being the latter? Which may negatively impact your confidence and begin to give you self destructive feedback for creating humour out of rage and loneliness about yourself? I could only imagine how long it takes for a comedian to have an entire hour of content ready to be performed.

One day I was contemplating the path of my life, most particularly how I'd like to die - dark humor has always been a favorite of mine, and if I can get roasted, even better. Since spaghettification by black hole seems unlikely unless an alien race with superior technology comes to visit us, I figured the most spectacular way to go would be to get a blood eagle on top of Mount Olympus. When I talked to Zeus about it, you know what he said?

"Get your fat ass outside and exercise because nobody wants to see your saggy tits on top of my mountain."

Ouch.

That's Cool. What entities are you talking about? I see, that’s a bit dark.

As a post-note, I can unpack this A LOT because this is my area of study, from absurdist philosophy to general wisecracking. Likely more so than Leo (in this area), because art is all I focus on. On top of that, I learned from a young age that being funny enough allows you to get away with everything. Tension, timing and awareness are the elements always at play among others. But I'll wait for a response before I go further.

Comedy is your area of study? How much have you gotten away with when being funny? What do you mean by awareness, knowing your audience and being aware of how people are taking your jokes?

On 2021-11-15 at 5:04 PM, universe said:

Thats why I recommended you take your time to think about it. You need practice. Every skill you want to learn takes practice.

@universe And if I think for 1 hour and come up with something mediocre at best? Is this still good? Seems almost like in this situation the cost is larger than the reward. But, I guess I may surprise myself also.

26 minutes ago, caelanb said:

Tbh that video is a little f*cked up.

Yeah, if you take it serious. xD

26 minutes ago, caelanb said:

But isn’t it true to a certain extent?

It is, but the point of conceptualizing humor is to guide you towards a spontaneous flow of humor - which is free of theory & raw. The sooner you connect to that flow, the easier it will be to do anything - be it humor or anything else which is creative.

30 minutes ago, caelanb said:

That one is honestly a little bit confusing. You said not to use it as a joke then (as part of the joke)? So I just don't use it.

I'm just playing with you, don't take me serious. :)

Also, humor is a lot about playfulness. So you might wanna tune in to a playful mood. Life's a play. What role do you want to play?

32 minutes ago, caelanb said:

I have not been doing that as an exercise. I've been doing the sentence stringing one and I don't notice any improvements (I don't make myself laugh more than I did when I began), though I have only been at it for less than on month.

The point of all the exercises is to loosen you up a bit, so you can finally just relax and tune in to the creative flow of existence. I myself underestimated the power of relaxation. It's WAY more profound than you might imagine. And imagination is WAY more profound than you might imagine. You can even relax so much that you start to laugh and jump for no reason. No joke necessary, because life is hilarious for no reason. I don't get it myself, but if I'm reaaally relaxed.. I can't help but giggle.

8 hours ago, caelanb said:

@universe And if I think for 1 hour and come up with something mediocre at best? Is this still good? Seems almost like in this situation the cost is larger than the reward. But, I guess I may surprise myself also.

Well you asked for exercises that you can do all by yourself. This is just one that came to my mind.

Mediocre will be totally fine, normally people are bored and don't expect anything funny from these standard questions. So your bar is the "I work in a hospital, I live in Austin" kinda level. Very low and easy.

In the end you should of course go out and talk people.

Just by watching Leo's video and having this thread you have already enough theory.

You have chosen to be more funny. Now it's just time for you to remind yourself of that while you are in conversation.

"I watched stand up comedy for years just to train my nervous system to laugh and be self amused." Owen Cook

I watch old comedy shows. 

And what I would usually do around my friends is just laugh. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

The thing about being funny is you don't have to make good jokes in order to be funny. I recommend just writing a whole bunch of jokes, it doesn't matter if they are good or not, just make a ton of them. When you are around other people, say whatever comes to your mind. It doesn't matter if it is the stupidest brain-dead joke ever conceived. People forget jokes almost immediately, but they remember the feeling. Say stupid stuff and it will get people to laugh. They will tell you "that was a terrible joke", but they will be smiling.

@EmptyVase

On 2021-11-23 at 1:05 PM, EmptyVase said:

Yeah, if you take it serious.

I can’t not take something like that seriously because it’s too inappropriate for me (or at least it's extremely difficult). I don’t mind jokes, teasing, and roasted people, but when it gets physical, I can’t not take that seriously, it’s just f*cked up to me, just not really funny. I watched most of it, but not all of it because of what I just said, but I decided to stop because I was not enjoying it. Like when he smashed the desk, I was thinking ‘that’s a little harsh, why is he doing that’. That’s all. I mean it was not terrible, but just not my type of comedy, I guess, but someday I may find it funny.

It is, but the point of conceptualizing humor is to guide you towards a spontaneous flow of humor - which is free of theory & raw. The sooner you connect to that flow, the easier it will be to do anything - be it humor or anything else which is creative.

Are you talking about the free flow that talk show hosts and comedians have? That’s what it seems like to me you are referring to.

I'm just playing with you, don't take me serious.

Okay, lol.

Also, humor is a lot about playfulness. So you might wanna tune in to a playful mood. Life's a play. What role do you want to play?

How do I tune into that playful mood? Do I just try to make jokes about everything? Which I am alright at I guess, but not great. This sh*it feels very difficult (especially when it’s hard to tune into humour), but maybe it’s only because I imagine myself being world class at humour.

The point of all the exercises is to loosen you up a bit, so you can finally just relax and tune in to the creative flow of existence. I myself underestimated the power of relaxation. It's WAY more profound than you might imagine. And imagination is WAY more profound than you might imagine. You can even relax so much that you start to laugh and jump for no reason. No joke necessary, because life is hilarious for no reason. I don't get it myself, but if I'm reaaally relaxed.. I can't help but giggle.

I don’t think I have a connection to any creative flow of existence (I'm not exactly sure what that means), when I am not stressed (if that's what you mean). You do have to have some structure to make something funny in any context though. By imagination, do you mean the ability to think of different ways to make someone or many people laugh?

On 4.12.2021 at 6:47 PM, caelanb said:

I can’t not take something like that seriously because it’s too inappropriate for me (or at least it's extremely difficult). I don’t mind jokes, teasing, and roasted people, but when it gets physical, I can’t not take that seriously, it’s just f*cked up to me, just not really funny. I watched most of it, but not all of it because of what I just said, but I decided to stop because I was not enjoying it. Like when he smashed the desk, I was thinking ‘that’s a little harsh, why is he doing that’. That’s all. I mean it was not terrible, but just not my type of comedy, I guess, but someday I may find it funny.

That's fine, if it's not your thing you don't gotta find it funny. But you might wanna question your standpoint of what is appropriate and what's not. A lot, if not all of it, is cultural conditioning, which is emotional conditioning, which keeps the stick up your ass, which does not allow you to be playful and laughing.

Are you talking about the free flow that talk show hosts and comedians have? That’s what it seems like to me you are referring to.

Yes, but also notice that this free flow is already present within your experience. It just so happens, for you, that this free flow is not pointed towards being funny, but the thoughts you're thinking. Your thoughts are just flowing, there's not really effort involved in it. It's kinda the same with jokes, you just say out loud what comes to your mind. It's a trial and error process to tune into that frequency, and that's really what the exercises are for. To find the "frequency of being funny". Once you got it, you don't need the theory and the exercises anymore. After that, you find your own style of humor through the trial and error process, really honing and mastering your humor.

How do I tune into that playful mood? Do I just try to make jokes about everything? Which I am alright at I guess, but not great. This sh*it feels very difficult (especially when it’s hard to tune into humour), but maybe it’s only because I imagine myself being world class at humour

Being funny is not so much about cracking jokes, but more about a certain way of being. Think of Mr. Bean. Man's not speaking a word, but his way of being is just funny. Of course, trying to make jokes about everything helps to rewire the brain, so that you tune in to the "funny frequency" and your thoughts automatically "become funny".

But way more important than that, perhaps you want to connect to, not what is funny to others but, what is funny to you. That's perhaps the most authentic way to go about it. Who cares whether others laugh as long as you find it funny?

By imagination, do you mean the ability to think of different ways to make someone or many people laugh?

Imagination has many degrees to it. From imagining an apple, to visualizing you're funny, to your present experience. All of it is imagicna... ehh imagination.

I don’t think I have a connection to any creative flow of existence (I'm not exactly sure what that means)

Existence just flows without any doer, and you align with that flow by working on your emotions. Your connection to existence is inherent, simply because you already exist. Emotional work is huge when it comes to being funny. If you feel good, especially if you feel reeealllyy goood, you're just naturally in a playful and funny mood, and the rest sorta handles itself. You might wanna get into understanding and decoding your emotions. It is so important to what you truly want.

Edited by EmptyVase

@EmptyVase

On 2021-12-09 at 10:56 AM, EmptyVase said:

That's fine, if it's not your thing you don't gotta find it funny. But you might wanna question your standpoint of what is appropriate and what's not. A lot, if not all of it, is cultural conditioning, which is emotional conditioning, which keeps the stick up your ass, which does not allow you to be playful and laughing.

For me, it’s mostly that the joke can be expressed a little bit too aggressively or if someone is physically embarrassed (a person getting literally beat up for fun) in some way that turns it off. This even applies to comedians that I enjoy watching and find funny, but they usually just use words (in a slightly aggressive form at times) or physical contact (such as if they are in a movie). 

I guess I could question my repulsion to it, but it just feels kinda wrong to me for comedy to be made from the embarrassment or abuse of someone or many people.

Yes, but also notice that this free flow is already present within your experience. It just so happens, for you, that this free flow is not pointed towards being funny, but the thoughts you're thinking. Your thoughts are just flowing, there's not really effort involved in it. It's kinda the same with jokes, you just say out loud what comes to your mind. It's a trial and error process to tune into that frequency, and that's really what the exercises are for. To find the "frequency of being funny". Once you got it, you don't need the theory and the exercises anymore. After that, you find your own style of humor through the trial and error process, really honing and mastering your humor.

I think I know what you’re talking about, or at least I’ve seen it before. James Corden (and his cast from the Late Late Night Show) seems to be really good at this. He has a general outline of what he’s going to talk about, however he goes off script (or at least I think he does) and has some playful banter with the rest of the cast on his show. I really enjoy watching it, my brother thinks it’s fake (set up), but if it is, it’s pretty well done, because it comes off very smooth. I've shown it to my dad and he enjoys it too, and it seems pretty natural and free flow to me, but you may have  different opinions.

For me, when it comes to being funny, I don’t really feel any free flow. It is mostly me capitalizing on someone else's words and using sarcasm to make it funny. For example, if something looks terrible or not good, I turn it around and say that it looks beautiful. It is pretty easy to do and it does not require very much effort. But, I guess it doesn't require very much free flow either.

Even if you are in some free flow, you’d have to have some structure (grammar) in order to make it make sense. Saying random words isn’t funny most of the time (‘donkey master laugh crying for help’), however I feel like that would be the highest level of free flow you can have. I guess the exercise that I have been doing hasn't been achieving its goals; I say stuff in a relatively good free flow (saying stuff that makes sense or doesn’t make sense, with proper grammar) but none of it is funny, it’s just random sh*t. I hope that makes sense.

Being funny is not so much about cracking jokes, but more about a certain way of being. Think of Mr. Bean. Man's not speaking a word, but his way of being is just funny. Of course, trying to make jokes about everything helps to rewire the brain, so that you tune in to the "funny frequency" and your thoughts automatically "become funny".

Uhuh, makes sense, I have not watched Mr.Bean very much but I know what you are talking about. Making jokes to be funny is probably a more acceptable or common way of being funny because you don’t see very many people like Mr.Bean around in society, but you do see many people (such as comedians or people that are humorous) making jokes to be funny.

But way more important than that, perhaps you want to connect to, not what is funny to others but, what is funny to you. That's perhaps the most authentic way to go about it. Who cares whether others laugh as long as you find it funny?

Yeah, I try to watch comedy that is funny to me, I don’t enjoy watching comedy that is not funny to me. However, sometimes it can be enjoyable to watch a funny show with someone who thinks it’s funny as well. I notice sometimes that if a person tries too hard (in my opinion) to be funny, for example by incorporating a voice that feels a bit too forced in order to try to be funny, it is usually a turn off for me. Great example of this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgJcyqswcFM&ab_channel=TheLateLateShowwithJamesCorden. However it is not always black and white, if I enjoy the jokes, then it can be pretty good.

Imagination has many degrees to it. From imagining an apple, to visualizing you're funny, to your present experience. All of it is imagicna... ehh imagination.

True, it can go from what you said, imagining an apple, to full on hallucinations.

xistence just flows without any doer, and you align with that flow by working on your emotions. Your connection to existence is inherent, simply because you already exist. Emotional work is huge when it comes to being funny. If you feel good, especially if you feel reeealllyy goood, you're just naturally in a playful and funny mood, and the rest sorta handles itself. You might wanna get into understanding and decoding your emotions. It is so important to what you truly want.

When you say just flows, are you referring to entropy (the disorder in the universe)? If not, I’m not sure what this flow is, perhaps it is the fact that sh*t happens from moment to moment (because of causal reactions of the past). I’m not sure how you can access that flow and use to be to funny if it doesn’t really have any order to it because it’s just random sh*t that happens. I have noticed that in myself, feeling good makes me feel like being more funny, therefore making me more inclined to deploy the technique of sarcasm for example in making jokes. 

I’m not exactly sure if I understand my emotions properly, I most likely can work on my emotions and will see some improvements. Some emotions at certain times seem to be harder to feel; if I am meditating and I hear noise in the background that one of my family members makes, then I can sense a bit of frustration/anger but not very intensely. Either the emotions are not very strong, or I am suppressing it somehow. But other times, they come out very easily; watching a movie and there is a happy scene in the movie/show, and I can get emotional to the point where I am almost about to water my eyes.

@flyingguitarist

On 2021-11-24 at 0:17 AM, flyingguitarist said:

Just act like you are drunk.

I guess that could work yeah, but that may be a challenge if you have never been drunk before.