Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thought Art

How to Accept the fragility of life?

21 posts in this topic

It seems everything we build in life is so fragile: Business, relationships, networks, friendships, health, routines, financial health, spiritual health, mental health, civilizations,  etc

It seems like we are all one bad mistake away from losing so much. Just one sexual misconduct, or just one bad twitter post, or just one wrong turn.

One of my favourite teachers from my highschool just got fired from his job for sexual misconduct with female students. He was an inspiration to a lot of people and lead the student council. What is wrong with us? Something here isn't adding up. How could he be so self deceived as to act in that way? And what is sex??? 

I've recently lost some friends that mattered to me. 

How do I handle this fragility and temporality of all things?

Do we just surrender and do our best? I think that is all we can do.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Letting go. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

The things we are aware of varies based on our experience.  Maybe for the teacher, sexual misconduct was normalized in his social sphere and he, bombarded with so many things going on and possibly personal emotional turmoil, wasn't thinking about the situation fully and the context of what impact it would have.  Maybe some of the girls were giving him sexual approval signals or he was reading things wrong.  Maybe he thought he could get away with it and enjoyed it.  Maybe ego problem and not considering the girl's perspective.  

Even though you have lost some friends, you could still get them back.

It is tough though.  When we feel like stuff is getting destroyed, it feels horrible.  

I guess just riding it out and eventually, even when something is bad, it can get better and the badness may go away.  Every moment is gone as soon as it happens.  The moment of me writing the above is gone and has now transformed into me writing this sentence and now even that is gone.....

The imagined universe is weird - the solar system could get eaten up by a universe a trillion times bigger at any moment and there is basically nothing we could do about it.

So just riding out the bad times because they are temporary and coming up with better ways to deal with hard times because as you said, life is fragile.

It's interesting. 

Living in a world where you can really trust chance, yourself or others.

All you can do I think it let go. Go with the flow.

Anything could happen.

◭"89"

@Thought Art

Yes all you can do is let go. 

The fragility of life you describe is an excellent description but I would go one step further. 

Rather than life's fragility, life's Infinity. There are infinite ways to experience what is happening in your direct experience. 

What is once young is old, what is once dark becomes light, what was a great teacher can become an outcast. But to you, that teacher is great. 

Recognise that this is all in your mind. Step outside this and realise the ebb add flow of all of this is reality, consciousness. It is like waves on the deep blue sea. It is impermanence. Everything is impermanence. 

When you truly get this - every moment is a gift - in whatever form. 

Edited by Surfingthewave

Do you want the temporary answer or the eternal answer? 

Temporarily try to fix things the best you can and ultimately fail. Eternally let things be as they are while you know no difference can be made. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

@BipolarGrowth I am very grateful for the above video. Gonna take me years to fully grasp it, to embrace and love it. 

Though slowly, the teachings of this video and others all combine together.

◭"89"

150 years from now, we will all be dead. That's 7800 weeks.

"Who cares in a hundred years from now  Who'll remember all the players  Who'll remember all the clowns"

◭"89"

Haha, maybe just keep going down this! Maybe just explode into laughter and have sex if you don't know what it is

Are you trying to understand the Ahabian tumour? It's an alien of no volition which you have zero grasp of, hearsay is that it comes in waves 

On 14/10/2021 at 7:30 PM, Thought Art said:

It's interesting. 

Living in a world where you can really trust chance, yourself or others.

All you can do I think it let go. Go with the flow.

Anything could happen.

Is this some zen tradition stuff? Anyway, this is all empty meaningless speech

Did you gulp down a shit tonne of david hawkins videos, doesn't seem like it, but that's the letting go ideology.

Spoiler alert, but when you're trying this "letting go" what'll happen is that you focus on some image 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

8 hours ago, lmfao said:

Spoiler alert, but when you're trying this "letting go" what'll happen is that you focus on some image 

I guess you gotta actually let go you mean ahaha

◭"89"

@Thought Art hmm, by chance I clicked this website just after you replied. 

Um, no, that won't be what I meant. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao

◭"89"

I'll probably heed the letting go advice, it could be that I'm resisting ecstatic-ness

On 14/10/2021 at 5:45 PM, Thought Art said:

One of my favourite teachers from my highschool just got fired from his job for sexual misconduct with female students.

Quick immediate thoughts:

1. Was the teacher given enough warning or training to handle this sort of situation? For example when you learn to drive you're told to keep to the speed limit or expect consequences.

2. Was the teacher suitably screened before entering the job?

3. It's possible your teacher had poor impulse control or lacked good judgement in certain areas.

4. Or maybe just a case of the right person in the wrong job.

We all make mistakes some worse than others, it's our ability to recover that's important, that's where the learning happens.

We certainly live in a more litigious age. I see this mostly as a consequence of society slowly moving into stage Green, and it's mostly correct: everyone deserves equality of opportunity and if a teacher wants to spoil that for a particular child, then they should be suitably punished. But when stage Orange sentiments get involved litigiousness is seen as an opportunity for a bunch of legal people to make yet more money and it can be applied too liberally. This can give the impression of not being given any slack to make mistakes, and fragility. The antidote is not to worry about it and allow yourself to make mistakes, just don't wilfully do wrong.

All stories and explanations are false.