Michael Paul

Can weed be considered a psychedelic (at least in high doses)?

28 posts in this topic

Question in the title says it all. Can high doses of marijuana be considered a psychedelic, at least a mild one?

Weed can fuck you up.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

24 minutes ago, BenG said:

IDK if it's technically a psychedelic or not, but I find sativa strains are great for contemplation if you take it seriously. I've had some genuine awakenings on weed as well.

Note that edibles produce different effects than smoked/vaped. 

Also don't disrespect it! Weed has high potential for dependence and addiction.

This encapsulates my personal experience with pot very well. 

4 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Weed can fuck you up.

In a good way, bad way, or both at the same time.

Edibles with a pinch of caffeine before a heavy yoga session will have you fucking GONE

I've seen and been to cartoon worlds on it, the sunset felt like a painting I was melting into. Do not underestimate edibles.

Smoking on the other hand is fun but also much more addictive and nowhere near as psychedelic there really is no comparison (not to mention the shitty brain fog of smoking). 

TLDR: Take edibles, fuck smoking.

There is a book (see link below) that claims you can combine blends of Cannabis to make it psychedelic.  But, I personally don’t believe that Cannabis is psychedelic.  It is no comparison to where Ayahausca takes me.  I quit Cannabis because it keeps me stuck in a state of paranoia

https://www.amazon.com/Psychedelic-Cannabis-Breaking-Daniel-McQueen/dp/0998320919/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Daniel+McQueen&qid=1634011599&sr=8-2

Vincit omnia Veritas.

I’ve had more intense trips from THC than most people have had in their entire lives. Once you start getting into mixed jhana territory sober, THC is a completely different compound. It used to just make me a little high, horny, and lazy way back when I started. It’s crazy to see the progression. 

The deepest awakening I’ve ever had was on THC. Dabs seem to be the most effective but also the least predictable. Edibles are more predictable but less potent. Smoking or vaping is hit or miss. 

THC did not have this effect until I had done multiple heroic doses of normal psychedelics and had many psychiatric events which probably changes how my body processes THC. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

I just learned in class that weed act as an enabler for schizophrenia.

So if you want to have a fractioned life and be trapped in a hellish mind, smoke it dog ?

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

8 minutes ago, Shin said:

I just learned in class that weed act as an enabler for schizophrenia.

So if you want to have a fractioned life and be trapped in a hellish mind, smoke it dog ?

You have to have schizophrenia first, but yes the weed will trigger it. Do you really think psychedelics wouldn’t trigger that same person?

Schizophrenia is a genetic disorder; an “enabler” would just be anything that exacerbates it rather than causes it. 

Sorry to sound like I’m lecturing but defs an important point. 

1 hour ago, Ry4n said:

You have to have schizophrenia first, but yes the weed will trigger it. Do you really think psychedelics wouldn’t trigger that same person?

Schizophrenia is a genetic disorder; an “enabler” would just be anything that exacerbates it rather than causes it. 

Sorry to sound like I’m lecturing but defs an important point. 

I know that, I wanted to sound dramatic on purpose :D

At least (non addictive) psychedelics aren't mainstream and addictives, weed is everywhere and is shitty for your health and have very little benefits outside of "oh man I'm so high".

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Weed was one of my key teachers, and helped me tremendously to get my shit together.

Be careful, though. It's easy to develop an addiction to it.

I actually switched from Delta-9 (regular weed) to Delta-8 (which is legal in most places - D9 is also legal here, but I digress). D8 has produced much less anxiety and a far "cleaner" / more contemplative state of mind than standard weed. I find that a few puffs of Delta-8, with a healthy helping of CBD, is a guaranteed gateway to nondual states. My favorite practice is to notice all sensory fields as "not me, not mine" and gradually loosen the reins of control. Eventually the senses recede into a sort of boundless expanse, or a void, that is absolutely blissful. 

@OneHandClap I’ve smoked regular Delta 9, Delta 8 and even Delta 10 in various forms, including flower and dabs. I like Delta 8 and Delta 10 a lot, they seem to reduce the ‘trippy head high’ of regular THC significantly while keeping the relaxation element of weed intact. For me personally, they help me retain the psychological clarity I desire while being high.

@EmptyVase Interesting and good point.

@BipolarGrowth When I was younger, I definitely had some nondual awakenings while high without understanding the significance or context of those awakenings. Took me awhile to integrate them and even understand what they were, but they were very powerful.

@Jodistrict Thanks for the information source, I’m definitely going to give it a look.

@Ry4n Thanks for the insight, seems as though edibles definitely produce a more psychedelic effect, if you can call it that. 

Much like everything else, weed has potential to be whatever you want it to be. If it's readily available, you enjoy it, and you're aware of the benefits/risks, then you can absolutely use it as a psychedelic. Psychedelics produce changes in perception, mood and cognitive processes; weed does the same thing. You should be setting your intention before using it. I, like others have stated, have had some major breakthroughs while high. I'd say that smoking was the catalyst to the start of my enlightenment journey. 

Do your own research, and by that I mean,  act as your own test subject and see what works best for you and what you want out of the experience. That is the only way to know the true answer for yourself. It may be completely different for someone else. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Paul said:

@OneHandClap I’ve smoked regular Delta 9, Delta 8 and even Delta 10 in various forms, including flower and dabs. I like Delta 8 and Delta 10 a lot, they seem to reduce the ‘trippy head high’ of regular THC significantly while keeping the relaxation element of weed intact. For me personally, they help me retain the psychological clarity I desire while being high.

@EmptyVase Interesting and good point.

@BipolarGrowth When I was younger, I definitely had some nondual awakenings while high without understanding the significance or context of those awakenings. Took me awhile to integrate them and even understand what they were, but they were very powerful.

@Jodistrict Thanks for the information source, I’m definitely going to give it a look.

@Ry4n Thanks for the insight, seems as though edibles definitely produce a more psychedelic effect, if you can call it that. 

How is Delta-10? I have never used it (or even seen it, lol). But I definitely agree that D8 has a clearer headspace to it!

@OneHandClap Delta 10 is very nice in my opinion, even subtler than D8 but kind of gives you a slight cosmic vibe and calming effect without being anywhere near overwhelming.

1 minute ago, Michael Paul said:

@OneHandClap Delta 10 is very nice in my opinion, even subtler than D8 but kind of gives you a slight cosmic vibe and calming effect without being anywhere near overwhelming.

Great to know. I smoked standard D9 for many years and always liked it, despite the anxiety it inevitably brought up. It feels like the D8/D10 variants are what "normal" people always felt when they smoked and remained functional throughout the day. Also excellent choices for watching movies, it seems ;)

Another thing came to mind.

Whether weed is a psychedelic highly depends on the person taking it, just as it is the case with MDMA or shrooms. You can get very little out of it, or profound teachings and experiences. Even the sober experience can be psychedelic, but again, that depends on the person.

I actually broke through to the cosmic OM sound on weed. I started the OM mantra by myself, but at one point, I was sucked in by what felt like thousands of different voices, chanting OM. This cosmic OM was accompanied by an overwhelming sensation of feeling welcomed. It didn't take long until I was just one of the many voices, chanting and bathing in the bliss of being.

Weed is even better when focused on somatic sensations instead of thought processes. Do a proper foam rolling workout during an edible trip. Its something else. Not necessarily fun.

I have experimented with smoking bong with 0 tollerance. I get so absolutely overwhelmed by euphoria that i end up thinking im connected to everything and that im some sort of prophet who has to lead the world to harmony. 

In that state of mind i am like no thx i dont want to, and i tell everything to forget it ever happened. So i can go back to being poor little me.

I dont know what weed does with my mind, its very confusing. 

When i mixed it with ketamine once i thought my life was a tv show and the universe was watching it. And that this tv show never ends. Then i thought i would die if i did not drink a glas of water...

So... I dont know what to think of it. When sober it just seems like dellusional thinking

Just as usual.  The title announces something and yet it's just more justification for names-calling promoted by hate mongers, assassins by procurations, etc.