9 hours ago, something_else said:

I mean at this point it's hardly surprising

If you want privacy don't use any mainstream social networks/messaging services

What about this one?

Why Facebook Allows Criminal Content on Platform
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DBQlUk-ZVg

telegram is much safer.

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

How is this different from the phone company being able to read all your texts or your ISP being able to read all your emails?

Obviously whatever is stored in the cloud can be read by those who store it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

How is this different from the phone company being able to read all your texts or your ISP being able to read all your emails?

WhatsApp has no ability to see the content of messages or listen to calls that are end-to-end encrypted. That's because the encryption and decryption of messages sent and received on WhatsApp occurs entirely on your device.

@Epikur They could have a back door. I just assume they do.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Not if it's end-to-end encrypted. 

16 minutes ago, JosephKnecht said:

Not if it's end-to-end encrypted. 

Back door, buddy. Back door.

None of your data is safe on any major public network or service provider. Nothing mainstream should be considered secure.

In practice what keeps most people secure is simply the fact that they are nobodies who no one cares about. If you were a serious somebody with money, fame, and power, you would not be secure on any of these services.

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Back door, buddy. Back door.

I don't think you understand what encryption is.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

23 minutes ago, tsuki said:

Encryption systems can have backdoors built into them. There was a whole bunch of discussion about this a couple years ago where several governments wanted to force WhatsApp to introduce a backdoor into their end-to-end encryption systems so governments could read messages

1 hour ago, tsuki said:

There is already a clear history of the Feds having back doors into so-called encrypted and secure systems, phones, apps, etc.

It would not be surprising if every major piece of software, hardware, and app with billions of users had back doors designed for Feds. And if it hasn't happened yet, it probably will within the next 10 years.

It seems like in IT circles, there is a lot of suspicion for most services to have a backdoor.

I would guess most mainstream services do have one and cooperate with secret services whenever it is necessary. If it's not automated.

I'd assume some more niche one's don't have them, though. Telegram also pretend they have no backdoor. Threema too. I think.

But i've always been wondering, what prevents phone companies to access remotely your phone and search for what they want anyway? And what about the servers? The datas going through cables?

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

In practice what keeps most people secure is simply the fact that they are nobodies who no one cares about. If you were a serious somebody with money, fame, and power, you would not be secure on any of these services.

You've got definitely a bit of fame. Aren't you afraid to be politically targeted and monitored for your teachings? 

Edited by Etherial Cat

2 hours ago, Etherial Cat said:

You've got definitely a bit of fame. Aren't you afraid to be politically targeted and monitored for your teachings? 

Well, we do still have free speech and freedom of religion, last time I checked.

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, we do still have free speech and freedom of religion, last time I checked.

Is my question really this shallow?  :)

I mean, freedom of speech and freedom of religion (as an enforced social construct) isn't sheltering you from politics. Especially when those supposed to grant you this protection (let's say the government via its administration) suddenly see you as a threat. 

Martin Luther King was harassed by the people supposed to grant him these rights. 

Osho is rumored to have been poisoned by the Reagan administration.

Truth is a devil's biggest threat. 

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

There is already a clear history of the Feds having back doors into so-called encrypted and secure systems, phones, apps, etc.

It would not be surprising if every major piece of software, hardware, and app with billions of users had back doors designed for Feds. And if it hasn't happened yet, it probably will within the next 10 years.

It is still different than that every moderator can read your pms

Maybe i should get a VPN access.  But then if i do that might raise suspicion...  IP phones are probably vulnerable and neighbourgs might intercept smoke signals, what do i do!  Switch all breakers off, lit up a candle.

7 hours ago, Epikur said:

It is still different than that every moderator can read your pms

Hopefully, but who even knows.

19 hours ago, something_else said:

Encryption systems can have backdoors built into them. There was a whole bunch of discussion about this a couple years ago where several governments wanted to force WhatsApp to introduce a backdoor into their end-to-end encryption systems so governments could read messages

Again, you do not understand how data encryption works, if you claim that they have back doors. 

Sure, companies may cooperate with feds and give them data. They may have dedicated APIs for the feds to use. But if you encrypt your data with any publicly known encryption algorithm correctly, the feds will not read your data. This is simply not possible. Weaknesses of these algorithms are known, and keeping a major one secret is infeasible in the age when every single website uses them. Any banking app, all exchanges, all cryptocurrencies,  EVERYTHING, basically the whole internet runs on it.

Not to mention that these algorithms are not secret. Open up wiki, and read up on it. I dare you to find a "back door". 

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2