How long do you meditate daily?    38 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you meditate daily?

• 10min-30min
    • 30min-60min
    • 60min-120min
    • 120min-240min
    • 240min+
    • not meditating

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

Let's see who actually is putting in some time :)

Edited by Jakuchu

When I was a seeker:

10+ minutes noting aloud (using the framework of the 4 foundations of mindfulness, generally) immediately upon waking, then did some exercise and showered, then 30 minutes Metta, then walked the dog while using open awareness techniques or walking meditation techniques, then 10 minute walking meditation warm-up before 90 minutes TMI, 60 minutes noting-vipassana, and 30 minutes self inquiry / Witnessing, with a 10 minute walking meditation between each of those 3 (so another 2x10min sessions) to relieve my legs while maintaining some level of samadhi, and a second session later on in the day for experimental stuff (often mantra or kasina, and sometimes contemplation; noting; another TMI sit) usually for 30-90min. All of it generally with a background sense of being a gardener or the mind.

So 280-340 minutes (not including the dog walking, nor daily life meditation, or microhits a la Shinzen Young which I employed often). About 5 hours daily on average. For about two years.

However... I meditated/contemplated basically every waking hour and even in some dreams, often doing metta, inquiry, etc. So basically 16 hours a day (6 hours sleep, 2 hours of just living). Usually didn't (intentionally) meditate while having sex with my girlfriend, lol.

Now:

Usually at least a 10 minute sit on most days.

None of that had anything to do with enlightenment, btw. Although in a way (or rather, absolutely), that's all there ever was anyway. Seeking was loads of fun for me. It was also very distressing at times.

Edited by The0Self

29 minutes ago, itachi uchiha said:

@The0Self how the hell do u get so much time to meditate.r u super rich by birth.how old are u

27. I no longer do that though. It was a force that just wouldn't quit, and even with school and work it seemed to take place. It was priority number 1. Though yes, I'm relatively privileged, but not super rich or anything.

@The0Self While you were doing all that, how happy were you/what was your average state of consciousness like? Even though from the enlightened perspective all that seeking turns out to basically be pointless/self deception, was it at least good for inducing profound states of being and creating a greater sense of peace and stuff overall? 

9 minutes ago, InfinityBeats said:

@The0Self While you were doing all that, how happy were you/what was your average state of consciousness like? Even though from the enlightened perspective all that seeking turns out to basically be pointless/self deception, was it at least good for inducing profound states of being and creating a greater sense of peace and stuff overall? 

Profoundly so. Lots of bliss. Lots of insights. Lots of detachment from normal life as well, but overall I guess I had a nice time seeking. But I was quite diligent. It might seem like all that led to a happy state experienced by someone, but it didn't. The seeker was the someone, and it apparently faded out, along with the solidity of what appears. It was a story; just what appeared to happen.

6 hours ago, The0Self said:

Now:

Usually at least a 10 minute sit on most days.

Do you see intensity ramping back up? Is there still suffering present within experience? 

18 minutes ago, Consilience said:

Do you see intensity ramping back up? Is there still suffering present within experience? 

Not really, on both counts. Certain states reminiscent of god realization still can appear, but they have no more significance than anything else. I'd be very, very skeptical about the possibility or ever ramping up again, since the special/not-special duality seems to have lost solidity, and there's no seeking, nor was there ever really seeking, actually. This is already what's looked for, so the seeking energy starved to death, you could say.

4 hours ago, itachi uchiha said:

@The0Self how the hell do u get so much time to meditate.r u super rich by birth.how old are u

Oh wait... btw you know it was only 5 hours right? The 16 number was including daily life.

7 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Not really, on both counts. Certain states reminiscent of god realization still can appear, but they have no more significance than anything else. I'd be very, very skeptical about the possibility or ever ramping up again, since the special/not-special duality seems to have lost solidity, and there's no seeking, nor was there ever really seeking, actually. This is already what's looked for, so the seeking energy starved to death, you could say.

I would wonder if the seeking energy transmutes to exploration/play but maybe not. I mean there are for sure still distinctions being made by mental energy and what we might call hierarchal significance for the purposes of self-survival activity, as ultimately empty as it may be. How the significance, preference, and intelligence manifests is always interesting to watch. 

In my own experience there is what many might consider “seeking” but what Id consider play. There seems to be a crystal clear recognition of the fundamental lack of duality between god realized states and taking a morning shit in a daze, for example. But the energy “curious to go within” is very alive, very palpable, and very appreciative of every. step along the ultimately pathless path. Not sure why there’s such a kick out of it but the wave does what it does ?

Nice dick measuring contest I see

My meditation goes beyond time B|

Edited by Salvijus

11 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Nice dick measuring contest btw

Well, I made it anonymous. You can't see the usernames. There is no contest, everybody keep their dicks where they are (sorry for excluding the ladies with that phrase) 

Edited by Jakuchu

8 minutes ago, Jakuchu said:

Well, I made it anonymous. You can't see the usernames. There is no contest

I see, sorry then :D?

Edited by Salvijus

I am meditating 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minute before bed. I also do 1-2 hours of Qigong a day usually.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

7 people need a zen slap so far 

Edited by Jakuchu