Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Durden

First memories

19 posts in this topic

My first memories are from the time when I was around 4 years old in the kindergarten. I always thought that I don't have any older memories because my brain wasn't developed enough at the time. Recently, I realised I don't even have a brain and all my memories are actually being imagined in the now, so that argument isn't valid. Why am I not creating any older memories then? Why don't I remember my birth and being a baby? I know all of that is imaginary but what's the reason for not remembering it?

Edited by Tyler Durden

You could ask the converse question: what's the reason for remembering stuff? My earliest memory is being tucked into my pram by my mum and looking up at her, so that's before I could walk.  There appears to be no reason to have that memory, it serves no purpose for me right now. Why that memory and not the thousands of others?

Still some people have perfect recall:

All stories and explanations are false.

@Tyler Durden "I remember being 4" is just more memory occurring now.  Don't you remember having that memory? 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@LastThursday I guess memories give us an illusion of continuity of our lives. I was just wondering what's the reason to not remember ever since birth because that's our imagined beginning.

@Mason Riggle I'm aware of that but why doesn't anything before that occure in the now as memory? Even as an imagination, I know it didn't really happen.

@Tyler Durden because this would be an internally inconsistent dream, and it would shock you so much, it would wake you up, and end the dream.  It's a survival strategy the ego employs to keep itself alive. 

Your question is like asking, "If this is just imaginary, why does a table appear as a table, and it doesn't just randomly look like a chair? Why don't I imagine that scenario?"  If that happened to you, it would destroy your current paradigm... a.k.a.. you would helplessly wake up to some new paradigm, where it makes sense that tables can sometimes look like chairs. 

@Mason Riggle Interesting perspective. You really think it would be so devastating to my ego if I had memories from my birth till now?

@Tyler Durden perhaps not devastating, but it would be inconsistent with your current paradigm, which is that generally people don't have memories of very early childhood because their brains aren't fully formed or some other story. This inconsistency would press up against your current paradigm, threatening it...

Edited by Mason Riggle

@Mason Riggle That makes sense. God really did its job in ensuring that this dream doesn't lack any logical consistency. Having no memories of your early childhood because of brain development is a really convincing story. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

@Tyler Durden it's all very convincing.. it seems real. 

Perhaps consider the absurdity of it all.. that there should even be humans, and brains, and memories.. why not other things?  Our lives 'seem normal' because we're used to it, but if you had no human experience to compare your life with, all of this would seem completely absurd.. like you looking at some alien species with two heads that vomit on each other to communicate and reproduce by pulling it's own teeth out and planting them in Jello.. if that was your 'normal'.. it wouldn't seem absurd at all. 

@Mason Riggle nah there's a reason for everything. God has done the best it possibly can with what it is to create the illusion of being something else. God can make infinite distinctions, yet here we are existing in something so ordinary that of course it's done on purpose. We didn't just get used to it ?. Like Leo says this is God's will crystalized. The only issue which is also a feature depending on perspective, is that there's nobody here to enjoy it. It's just being perfection.

@iboughtleosbooklist You are doing the best you can (an infinitely good job) to maintain the illusion of not being God.

@Mason Riggle Yeah, I agree with that, we're used to it so it seems completely normal to us. Reality could have been much different than it is now but I guess God designed it this way for a reason. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

@LastThursday I guess memories give us an illusion of continuity of our lives. I was just wondering what's the reason to not remember ever since birth because that's our imagined beginning.

Some people do remember everything since birth, that's why I posted the video. I admit it's rare, but it doesn't seem to affect the actor in the video negatively. I guess she has no reason not to remember.

In any case you're specifically talking about autobiographical memory. You actually do have perfect recall for other memories, such as walking and talking, or maybe riding a bike. And certain smells or places can trigger recall of some autobiographical memories from a young age.

It's even possible that some people have other (autobiographical) memories from a different life before birth (although I don't have a view on this either way). Some people can miraculously start speaking a new language or have artistic skills after illness or head trauma, where do those memories come from?

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Recently, I realised I don't even have a brain and all my memories are actually being imagined in the now, so that argument isn't valid.

I believe the issue comes from applying timeless truths to the material level of the world. "Having memories" has the premise of there being a brain. In the physical world there is such a thing as memories and so the argument isn't invalid for that reason.

About 2 years old. There was the realization that I had to get a painful vaccination/shot soon, and there was nothing I could do about it. I looked at my hands and said "it's just me." That was my very first memory in the story of my life.

You don't remember anything before two years because your ego is minimal, very rudimentary. There is only being, and it is all the same, undifferentiated, so you cannot distinguish between an instant or a month. little by little your ego is forming and your memories are printed, your ego is formed. Your ego is not a nonsense that you will easily forget, it is a real energetic pattern, ways of processing that although they are not material exist, dissolving them requires talent, it is an art. minimize its reality, its importance, perpetuate it. If you think that one day you will realize that you are God and everything is a dream, and after that your ego will be deactivated, you are wrong. it has concrete foundations

1 hour ago, Breakingthewall said:

You don't remember anything before two years because your ego is minimal, very rudimentary. There is only being, and it is all the same, undifferentiated, so you cannot distinguish between an instant or a month. little by little your ego is forming and your memories are printed, your ego is formed. Your ego is not a nonsense that you will easily forget, it is a real energetic pattern, ways of processing that although they are not material exist, dissolving them requires talent, it is an art. minimize its reality, its importance, perpetuate it. If you think that one day you will realize that you are God and everything is a dream, and after that your ego will be deactivated, you are wrong. it has concrete foundations

Ego in that sense does not immediately die as the I apparently drops when recognized as never being there. It keeps on talking, but to nothing, and therefore with no reinforcement/feedback, and so it eventually fades out quite a bit, but not really entirely. Although, through the art as you mentioned, it could have been apparently weakened beforehand (alongside various awakenings), and so not much is left to fade out, in that case.

@The0Self In the end, its structure, as it is built on nothing, begins to crumble, but the fixed patterns have strength and are capable of restructuring and functioning, what happens is that they are so unpleasant compared to being free of them, that they are not tolerate. I start to see the miracle: the disappearance of that shit, really

7 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

@The0Self In the end, its structure, as it is built on nothing, begins to crumble, but the fixed patterns have strength and are capable of restructuring and functioning, what happens is that they are so unpleasant compared to being free of them, that they are not tolerate. I start to see the miracle: the disappearance of that shit, really

Awesome! :)