RoerAmit

Whats the solution to suffering?

25 posts in this topic

If a bird is singing a song, and you are very attached to the idea that the bird should not be singing, it's singing will cause you to suffer.  

Suffering is what 'thinking things should be other than how they are' feels like. 

If you think you should not be in pain, pain will cause you to suffer.. but if you have just completed a grueling workout, and think there should be pain, perhaps to confirm that you got a good workout, you will experience pleasure from the pain.  The same pain that can cause suffering, can cause pleasure, if thought about differently... 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

The solution to suffering is that there's no need for (nor possibility of) a solution.

Meditation can certainly take the edge off. For me, its primary allure seemed to have something to do with exploration, insight, and power. Interestingly, if one gains the ability to produce as much bliss as they want on demand (actually possible through diligent meditation), they will have no need for that ability anymore, so in a sense it never gets anyone anywhere, but the point is really the path anyway, not the destination -- in fact there isn't a real destination. But there's no one on a path either. And no point. What we're doing here has nothing to do with us, as there is no we -- we are an appearance; we're not real, we're apparently being done...not even.

Edited by The0Self

I think the solution to suffering is to stop wanting a solution for suffering.

5 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

I think the solution to suffering is to stop wanting a solution for suffering.

Good luck convincing anyone of that. But there's no one who could stop wanting that -- not to mention the apparent one is the wanting of that.