Oskar89

Can Christians practise Real Yoga?

20 posts in this topic

hello,

I have recently watched Leos video about Real Yoga.
I was really fascinated by it and did a lot of research on kriya yoga in particular.
The problem is that in general Real Yoga is connected to Hinduism religion, which Leo doesnt really mention in this video.
He mainly talks there about awekening, enlightment, consciousness which is actually what pushes me to start practising Kriya Yoga,
but on the other hand, I believe in Jesus and I want to follow this christian path without combining it with Hinduism.
Is there anybody who can give me a broader opinion on this topic, because I dont think Leo would talk about Real Yoga to promote hinduism(offcourse not).
His main point was to train consiousness, awerness, becoming more peaceful etc...so is it possible to combine real yoga and still being a christian?

The answer is yes and no. There is no conflict between the core essence of the two (or more) religions as you might imagine, the meaning of the word yoga is union, and this is quite a beautiful realization. What exactly are you afraid of, what could possibly be lost by diverting from Christianity? Traditional Christianity says that we are forgiven of sin, timelessly, perfectly, unconditionally, so what are you worried about losing? If what the core essence of Christianity is is true, what could you possibly lose? 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Hi :)

If you're looking for an energy practice or something esoteric but with a christian flavour, you can try christian Kabbalah. It has lots of interesting things that you probably never knew existed. Tau Malachi is one guy that I know who has a very high quality and authentic material on these matters. You may find something interesting there.

Take care :)

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

If you are a Christian you should be rather worried of christianity.

If it is such a big deal for you then look up Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship, and learn his Kriya Yoga, also Kriyananda, a disciple, started an off shot called Ananda. Both incorporate Jesus in their teachings. 

Though if you really connected with the spirit of Christ you would know that doing Yoga would be totally fine. Maybe some church groups would mind, but what do you value more? I met a devout Christian at a Vipassana retreat. His church encouraged him to do Zen and Vipassana retreats. Find a church like that.

@Oskar89

The word yoga means unity. Unity uproots all beliefs, because all beliefs are of some other thing. Even self referential beliefs, like I’m _______.  Yogafying, one is liberated of beliefs, dogma, conjecture, identity, and therefore, all suffering.  The western connotation of religion is identity, and belonging to an organization - being this, and not that, being one of us, and not one of them, being in the right bunch, not the wrong bunch. To it’s most unconscious, it’s being good (me), and not bad or evil (other). This western connotation is indoctrinated into new westerners, and projected onto those in the east, like Hindu’s & Hinduism, because the west doesn’t realize religion is a belief (so the belief is projected). To a Hindu, there really isn’t a “religion” called “Hinduism”, or even Hindu’s, there is unity, without any need for beliefs, identifying, dogma, conjecture, belonging, or projecting. Words like heaven, nirvana, etc, are eastern in origin. In any case, uproot all judgement and you’ll find you truly needed nothing. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Yeah, Christians can practice yoga, Qigong, breathwork, taoism and even buddhism. However, you may face some christians who feel threatened by that. 

So, really it depends on you 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

OP is from Poland. I doubt that he will be able to find church groups that will support yoga and other foreign practices. Individuals might but not as a whole group.

Fundamental issue with subscribing to christianity (lowercase!) is that you are rejecting formless God by attaching yourself to the label. This is something to address.

@Username Yeah true, Poland is super christian. I remember seeing a church on every corner when I was there.

Yeah, if you do yoga keep it discreet tbh. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I think little bit of exploration of other traditions won't hurt you. In fact, it will broaden your understanding of christianity and strenghten your ability to connect with Christ even more. Strongest priests and monks that I know are those who ventured into different traditions and came back with a new level of wisdom. To be able to connect to Christ on consciouness level is not easy and you need to be somewhat evolved. Meditation and yoga can help you to reach that state where you're able feel Christ's presence and grace in your heart. From there, only then you become a true Christ follower.

Regards ❤️

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

@Salvijus

Thanks, I think I will try it at least to some degree. You have been helpfull :)

@Nahm Well, You have your own opinion however you dont know whats going to happen after we die...you cannot say that this is white and this is black. In this case you;re judging as well :P .All I'm saiying is I do not want to mix it with other religion or ok...belief, this is not judging. I just want to stay on the path that I am right now.

14 minutes ago, Oskar89 said:

I just want to stay on the path that I am right now.

Then why did you ask : 

22 hours ago, Oskar89 said:

so is it possible to combine real yoga and still being a christian?

No point in creating this thread.

thee wanteth to fuck thy neighbour

but wanteth not to cheateth on thy wife

@mandyjw I dont know, because I dont know what will happen. I do not want to realize that I'm God or that I am infinity....and I am afraid that this can happen to me. I just want to be more present with the world, being with the moment, achieve inner peace, achieve awerness. So basically I dont know what to expect and I am not sure what will come to me.

I checked out your chanell, a lot great content over there!!!

Be well :)

@Thought Art At least to some extent I will try it. Yeah its true, lots of churches in Poland. Great chanell btw, a lot of good stuff!!

Be well :)

It really depends on what kind of Christian you are. I know Christians who appear to think, if its not in the Bible then its deceptive... (I'm in the US). I prefer to see the beauty of God in everything I see. But one verse that I find clarifies things for Christians, whether something is good or bad is

Matthew 7:16-20 

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

In my experience, Yoga brings peace and union with my body which I do good with. 

Edited by SgtPepper

56 minutes ago, Oskar89 said:

@Nahm Well, You have your own opinion however you dont know whats going to happen after we die...you cannot say that this is white and this is black.

The assumption is that you’re alive, and thus, it is assumed there is death. The tricky thing about assumptions & beliefs, is one believing doesn’t realize it is a belief. So, we investigate our direct experience, dispelling beliefs to discover the Truth. Or, we just settle for beliefs, which appear as nothing more than other people’s opinions & ideas. 

When the suffering of the discord of the beliefs reaches a tipping point, look into Schrödinger's cat, the double slit, the Buddha’s understanding of suffering, and thought attachment. Contemplate how those can be true for a couple years or so. 

In this case you;re judging as well :P .All I'm saiying is I do not want to mix it with other religion or ok...belief, this is not judging. I just want to stay on the path that I am right now.

Ignorance is divine perfection, nothing to judge. Nobody’s knocking your path, just pointing out the obvious… a belief is a belief. Doesn’t matter where it comes from or who else beliefs the same. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

19 hours ago, Thought Art said:

@Username Yeah true, Poland is super christian. I remember seeing a church on every corner when I was there.

Yes, and it is not just that. Poland is in similar situation Spain or Ireland was several years ago. Well developed young adults are green and there is more and more clash between them and Church which is mostly Blue at the moment. Because more developed/openminded people are leaving Church it make it even more obsolete. There is strong ego reaction toward everything other than crude, dualistic interpretation of the Bible.

19 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Yeah, if you do yoga keep it discreet tbh. 

You can practice anything. You just have to use proper names :D Vipassana = silent prayer, you need to be creative B|

2 hours ago, Oskar89 said:

I dont know, because I dont know what will happen. I do not want to realize that I'm God or that I am infinity....and I am afraid that this can happen to me. I just want to be more present with the world, being with the moment, achieve inner peace, achieve awerness. So basically I dont know what to expect and I am not sure what will come to me.

Been there. If you don't want to let go the religion pray before doing yoga practices. You can even surrender to the God and do LSD with intention of seeing the truth no matter what it means.

im Christian and i practice yoga full time....

Edited by blackchair

@Username

On 8.10.2021 at 8:25 PM, Username said:

Yes, and it is not just that. Poland is in similar situation Spain or Ireland was several years ago. Well developed young adults are green and there is more and more clash between them and Church which is mostly Blue at the moment. Because more developed/openminded people are leaving Church it make it even more obsolete. There is strong ego reaction toward everything other than crude, dualistic interpretation of the Bible.

Thats a interesting opinion.
What I think, it is a result of people moving away from spirituality and moving towards materialism.
You see, Poland is a post comunist country where people used to be more spiritual,
during the communist times 30-40 years ago, becuase most of the people were equal, they felt more united whith each other through the tough times.
Now as you said a lot of people a moving away from church, but not becasue of God, because materilism as the economy of Poland is developing and people can travel and so on.
They become not more open minded to other beliefs or religions.....they just become atheists(ok, that is a belief), so it has nothing to do with God.

...But on the other hand I am still happy that I am living in such a country where fundamental vaules are: God and Family.
It is still better than all the the rest of the west is like.