Terell Kirby

Real vs fake spiritual gurus

20 posts in this topic

What separates the real ones from the fake ones?

Fake gurus, to me, tend to be overly mystical in their teachings, purposely confusing students to keep them coming back for more. Some of them don’t even know what awakening is, but act as they do. They’d much rather keep students partially in the light AND partially in the dark with promises of “liberation” and “freedom” from reality.

Real gurus cut straight to the point, and don’t seek to keep students thru cult dynamics. They’ll want you to awaken as fast as possible, and leave all searching/seeking. They know that ultimately, there is no liberation or freedom from life, because life is all there is…life IS GOD. This requires a watchful eye over the ego and it’s trickery.

P.S. these dynamics apply to spiritual students as well. Best to verify if they seek to serve God, or worship the guru.

Edited by Terell Kirby

@Terell Kirby Some teachers are more into mystical experiences than truth and then there's those who are into truth but have realized different facets of the same truth. Depending of which facets has been realized the words they speak can be very different but can be true from that perspective. 

What words/teachers resonates with you depends on what facets you have realized and touching upon.

I found during my trips that all teachers were just distractions from awakening to the Truth. These were crazy levels of consciousness though, so not very applicable to the normal state maybe. The only real way to know who is the least corrupt is to discover for yourself I guess.

58 minutes ago, impulse9 said:

The highest teacher is life itself.

Beautifully said ?????

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

7 hours ago, kamwalker said:

Who are some examples of current fake Gurus? 

Leo "Why not have sex with a goat?" Gura 

and 

Nithyananda

nithyananda-e1575399338567.png

Edited by Jakuchu

it gets cultish if he has a few of these characteristics: 

1- oversensitive and biased to some topics and not allowing the logical debate for it.

2- showing some sort of obsession and sexual attraction to one of his female learners.

3- bringing so many reasons that he is not cult.

4- using symbolism to subtly promote the hidden agenda given to him.

5- over-exaggeration when describing the minor experience of enlightenment. 

6- calling you stupid or not yet fully experienced to bring you down to make you obedient.

7- ...

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

Anyone who implies you are not your own 'guru', and they are simply a guide / friend helping you. 

Anyone who runs a Cult lmao & gets trippy on power (which even happens to 'enlightened' beings, remember awakening doesn't mean you become some perfect, amazing person) 

Anyone who claims you 'need' them and 'I am the way' after a while it becomes pretty obvious 

Pros of the information age means anyone can share these teachings, cons of the information age means anyone can share these teachings. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

4 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Anyone who claims you 'need' them and 'I am the way' after a while it becomes pretty obvious 

You gonna do Jesus dirty like that? 

Edited by Jakuchu

@Jakuchu xDxD

Assuming he was speaking as God during that sermon ;) 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

I don't know about gurus, but good friends are those who:

- Help you to go where you want to go

- Does not plant their ideals and goals in you

- Makes you feel better

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"

5 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@Jakuchu Assuming he was speaking as God during that sermon ;) 

?

Hummm...  At least it's not costing a dime as long as we only read the titles...

I'm starting a new religion tomorrow, i sense it's going to be an instant success:  the YouYouMi church.

@Jakuchu Nithyananda is so sketchy, I have not had enough info to call him a complete phony or cult but this dogma speaks for itself

If You have any other sort of stuff from Nithyananda that is sketchy please post since I have found some of his techniques to be useful but there is something off with his vibe that just rubs me the wrong way

On 2021-10-05 at 11:21 PM, Terell Kirby said:

Fake gurus, to me, tend to be overly mystical in their teachings, purposely confusing students to keep them coming back for more.

I agree with you;

The fake guru's intentions in actually not to free the student from delusion in order to maintain some sort of power over the student because once the student is free, the guru has lost power over the student

aHummm...

Lets suppose i've just won a million dollars, what books should i buy 1st??

@Egzoset rich dad poor dad, anything that deals with your financial intelligence/education

Edited by Mosess

false krishnamurty. it makes the simple complicated, and conveys the idea that any practice aimed at awakening is useless. the important thing for him seems to be to show that only he is enlightened. narcissistic

A real guru will assure you that there are no gurus.

A fake guru will assure you that they are a guru.

The truth could be spoken that there is no truth which can be spoken and there are no gurus with which to speak them.

If a “guru” points you inward to yourself, they are being precisely perfect. If a “guru” is telling you something which they claim knowledge of and aren’t making it clear that you know this as well, they are being precisely perfect. They have only the knowledge they have and they can only do what they have been conditioned to do with this information.

There are no gurus, for what is “guru”? 

There is no “fake” and no “real”.

Beyond arbitrary conceptions of “gurus”, “real”, “fake”, and “truth”, there is only what appears to be, and being with that will deliver you to the reality beyond your belief systems.