Ontology

How can I study science by myself??

18 posts in this topic

So I was never that interested in the hard sciences in high school, and chose to focus on subjects such as psychology, philosophy & history.

But now after being out of high school for a few years I’ve become interested in learning some natural sciences such as physics and chemistry. I’m not interested in pursuing them as a career. I have my LP figured out (photographer/filmmaker.) 

But I Just think its important to understand science so I dont have any big holes in my understanding of the world.

How do I go about learning about science on my own? All the formulas and equations are a bit overwhelming to me. 

Btw I’m not interested in going to college.

Is my intution correct to say that it is really important?

Thanks.

Edited by Ontology

Just a thought.  Doing your own investigations and experiments into science will bring you down many interesting paths.  It’s fun too.  Recently I bought an EMF reader and have learned a lot just walking around with it.  Experience science opposed to just conceptualizing it.  Cheers.

You can go through a surprising amount of material on https://www.khanacademy.org/ (all lectures are 100% free).

There's other online courses you can take, some free, some paid. Udemy is a popular one.

Aside from that, books. Books, books, books. Find good study material, get the books, and go through them. If you want to grasp material in any kind of meaningful way, you'll also need to do the practical parts, which usually means solving a lot of problems on your own. If the course has any kind of projects or lab exercises, that much better.

Furthermore, there's university tier lectures all over Youtube from Stanford, Oxford, Harvard, etc. Those are by far the most in-depth sources you can access for free and to get a solid theoretical grasp on any subject, you'll have to sit through hours of these lectures while fully alert and present, taking notes, and then solidifying that knowledge through practical means. Needless to say you'll need discipline for this.

In short, you can self-learn but you'll need strong determination. If you enjoy it, it won't be a problem. And learning, when done right, is always enjoyable.

36 minutes ago, Ontology said:

Yes. It's not important in the ultimate sense, but understanding sciences well grant you a lot of freedom in this world, particularly when it comes to logical problem solving and being able to separate truth from bullshit.

Hope this helps some. Good luck.

How do I go about learning about science on my own? All the formulas and equations are a bit overwhelming to me.

The Great Courses

Nope, it's not really important. Learning science will basically do nothing to improve your life. In fact it will fill your head with a bunch of concepts which will then make it harder to awaken.

But science can be interesting.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 hours ago, Ontology said:

So I was never that interested in the hard sciences in high school, and chose to focus on subjects such as psychology, philosophy & history.

But now after being out of high school for a few years I’ve become interested in learning some natural sciences such as physics and chemistry. I’m not interested in pursuing them as a career. I have my LP figured out (photographer/filmmaker.) 

But I Just think its important to understand science so I dont have any big holes in my understanding of the world.

Btw I’m not interested in going to college.

Thanks.

TITLE: Shinzen, the Mindful Math Geek

This video has some advice that may be helpful.

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

In fact it will fill your head with a bunch of concepts which will then make it harder to awaken

Orrrrr when u learn about science sooooo deeply, u see how life (biology) is extremely complicated and just in the right order that it can actually help awakening!

Personally, learning math has revealed significant beauty about the world.

36 minutes ago, Elham said:

Orrrrr when u learn about science sooooo deeply, u see how life (biology) is extremely complicated and just in the right order that it can actually help awakening!

Rarely the case, unfortunately.

It's Love.

3 hours ago, Elham said:

Very indirect, but all signs point to God to those who have enough wisdom to see it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

all signs point to God to those who have enough wisdom to see it.

beautiful quote right here

On 10/5/2021 at 10:07 AM, Leo Gura said:

Learning science will basically do nothing to improve your life. In fact it will fill your head with a bunch of concepts which will then make it harder to awaken.

Well, what's the difference between Leonardo conceptualizing and imagining how to draw the mona lisa and a scientist theorizing a new model for how nature behaves.

To me, there is not much a difference, yet, in my mind. It's just that painters can paint and be kinesthetic a little more quickly than the scientist. Both Leonardo and the scientist are muddled up with concepts, ideas, and imaginations. No? We can say scientists paint more on their minds than on their research paper. 

Edited by charlie cho

If you want just a general rudimentary understanding of these subjects, these are very good.  Years ago, I watched almost all of these and took notes on them. 

@impulse9 @impulse9 thanks for the perspective! And yeah I’ve heard Khan University is a good quality source. Will be checking it out.

Use the scientific method and always go back to first principles.

You should study science imo and spirituality and merge the two. 

Book Recommendation for creating your own self study program: Self-Learning Blueprint

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 05/10/2021 at 4:07 AM, Leo Gura said:

The Great Courses

Nope, it's not really important. Learning science will basically do nothing to improve your life. In fact it will fill your head with a bunch of concepts which will then make it harder to awaken.

But science can be interesting.

Okay interesting. But wouldn’t you say learning things like physics and chemistry is crucial for developing a comprehensive, tier 2 understanding of life?