Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LastThursday

Writing a book

28 posts in this topic

Why not just publish your daily journal on a blog? That seems like the most authentic way to express yourself, rather than neurotically editing a book. Books just seem like massive headaches honestly, and they can be so contrived 

Edited by wma

On 4.10.2021 at 7:10 PM, LastThursday said:

What value do you see in writing a book?

I think this depends on why you want to write a book in the first place. I want to write a book because I want to share what I have learned. My answer would be entirely different if I wanted to write for storytelling-purposes.

My biggest value for writing a book is the fun of it. I like writing, especially if it is about the insights I've had.

I like sharing. So, the idea of an easily digestible, yet profound book which helps mankind resonates a lot with me. Fits into my Ikigai.

I think what the world needs during these times is first and foremost love. The book would be one of my contributions to that need for love. Our environment suffers from the lack of love. Humanity suffers from the lack of love. Economics tries to fill the need for love with material means, but that's a shitty band-aid for the wound. Only love, compassion and consciousness can help to solve the challenges of the 21st century.

On 4.10.2021 at 11:44 PM, mandyjw said:

angels peer amid. 

?

Perspectives (angels) point to (peer) "the middle" (amid).

Angles of a pyramid point to "the top".

"The top", or, "what's prior to the angles". Awareness is prior to perspective.

I love it.

@JosephKnecht Wow! Thank you for sharing! Your book seems interesting!  I will consider buying it and reading it.

I am also wanting to write a book too.  I think the challenge for me is what main theme I want to write about in my book.  I could literally write about many things, but I think its a good idea to have different stages of the book to organize it.

How do you publish a book once it is completed?  @JosephKnecht

I am a noob at writing books, and I would really appreciate any feedback on this.

Thank you @LastThursday for starting this thread!

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

10 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

How do you publish a book once it is completed?  @JosephKnecht

You can submit your manuscript to a publishing house through an agent, or you can Self-Publish.

Keep in mind that the gatekeepers of the publishing industry are about 80% women, and most of the books published these days are tailored to women (for some men these days don't read books).

So if you are going the traditional publishing route, you will need to learn how to placate women. It's fun. :) 

10 hours ago, JosephKnecht said:

Keep in mind that the gatekeepers of the publishing industry are about 80% women,

Interesting insight. So write the book for with your agent in mind...

All stories and explanations are false.

What has helped me is waking up at 5am and writing at least 3 crappy pages. The goal is to write down all my insights and to let the ideas flow through me. It helps with contemplation practice.

@JosephKnecht I see that your book Who We Are is on audible. I will definitely check it out! I do not have audible yet. But I plan on getting Audible plus for $8 per month, which seems like a damn good deal for all the books it has on there.

How do you get your book onto audible?

By the way, do you have any other tips for formatting and how to organize writing. I tend to connect all of ideas together and it is hard for me to separate them at times. Do you plan on getting your other books onto audible? How is that process? Thank you!@JosephKnecht

Edited by r0ckyreed

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?

9 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

How do you get your book onto audible?

I use services from publishdrive.com. They handle all the distribution to bookstores and digital libraries (including audible). 

By the way, do you have any other tips for formatting and how to organize writing. I tend to connect all of ideas together and it is hard for me to separate them at times

You should create an outline first. Think of it as the skeleton of the main events of the book. Once you have the skeleton, then you can start attaching details. 

Do you plan on getting your other books onto audible? How is that process? Thank you!

There is a plan. 

Recording the audiobook is the most time-consuming part. Audible has some standards for quality that you have to meet, but it's not a big issue. Distribution is the easiest part.