Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Godishere

Is thinking a duality?

8 posts in this topic

Is there a duality between thinking and being? Is this why you can't think your way into Samadhi? 

Or is thinking/labeling/judging created by thoughts therefore creating duality? So basically the same thing

Because you can have the thought "I am awake" and be in a state of non dualism. But maybe not in the highest degree?....

Edited by Godishere

Yes. It's the dual side to feeling, which is being. 

Yeah, simply because thought is ,by nature ,dualistic.  Samadhi is a state where subject-object, time-space , self-other, are non-existent.
Thought,which is a product of memory and intellect (i.e. mind ),is dependent/reliant on the existence of Being . But Being , is self existent  and independent, of thought/mind. Being is the substratum existing prior to, during,and after every thought, and/or, perception. Thought/mind appears in Being, but Being itself is without appearance. Being is the stillness in which thought dances.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

@Godishere Yes, this is one of the issues with language. I have incredibly profound insights and as soon as I try to articulate them with language they become diminished. This must incredibly challenging for Leo. There are many metaphysical concepts and insights that will never be able to be accurately communicated. The only way is through direct experience. And you will want to share it, but won't be able to. 

Edited by Matthew85

@Gianna @Guru Fat Bastard

37 minutes ago, Gianna said:

Yes. It's the dual side to feeling, which is being. 

Interesting. I'm trying to wrap by head around it because thinking is what creates the distinctions. So without thinking there would be no dualities.. this means every thought I've ever had about God is not true. I.e enter a state of non dualism, break back into duality "I am one"... Now technically this is true but by that same definition not true

5 minutes ago, Godishere said:

this means every thought I've ever had about God is not true.

@Godishere I wouldn't think of it that way. I think of it as there is also a deeper more expansive truth. Our finite human minds will never be able to fully comprehend god. 

The question isn't whether thinking is a duality, but whether duality is a thought.

Thought makes it seem that there are dualities. And therefore it can also seem that thinking is a a duality. However, this is itself is just a thought. That's how the illusion of mind "sustains itself". 

Because "duality" is just a thought itself, thought isn't a duality. 

25 minutes ago, Tim R said:

The question isn't whether thinking is a duality, but whether duality is a thought.

Thought makes it seem that there are dualities. And therefore it can also seem that thinking is a a duality. However, this is itself is just a thought. That's how the illusion of mind "sustains itself". 

Because "duality" is just a thought itself, thought isn't a duality. 

bingo