Thought Art

Growing Movement in Canada To De-criminalize drugs

29 posts in this topic

On 2.10.2021 at 11:19 PM, Carl-Richard said:

Norway was very close to decriminalizing drugs earlier this year, but somehow the biggest left-leaning party decided to go against it.

That's no surprise. Social Democracy is coming from a stage blue-orange tradition and has never fully grown into stage green, neither in Norway, nor anywhere else. They still have to keep their traditional voters happy. As its name implies, Ap represents the working class. And the average worker has no interest in drugs other than tobacco and alcohol. Not all leftists are progressives; many are just traditional simple people. It's also revealing, that the party youth was pro decriminalisation; just the conservative older comrades prohibited it.

24 minutes ago, Heinrich Faust said:

That's no surprise. Social Democracy is coming from a stage blue-orange tradition and has never fully grown into stage green, neither in Norway, nor anywhere else. They still have to keep their traditional voters happy. As its name implies, Ap represents the working class. And the average worker has no interest in drugs other than tobacco and alcohol. Not all leftists are progressives; many are just traditional simple people. It's also revealing, that the party youth was pro decriminalisation; just the conservative older comrades prohibited it.

I was actually thinking those exact thoughts earlier today. It's tricky, because meanwhile Ap is the most advanced party imo (I voted for them this election :P), they have an obvious populist bent as well, which is not surprising for one of the most popular parties in Norwegian history.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:20 AM, Leo Gura said:

Isn't it odd that the US seems to be more of a leader on the drug legalization front than otherwise more Spirally developed countries?

Seems like the US will be first to legalize certain psychedelics.

@Leo Gura You're forgetting the folks back at Mexico. Some psychedelics like Peyote and some shrooms have been "legal" for some years now. They allow the use for protection of the indigenous cultural diversity. For the rituals and stuff, but you don't have to be a registered member of the indigenous community to be able to take part in it. However it is not legal to sell, transport and all that, mostly because some psychedelic plants are getting extinct due to over extraction (also the Bufo Alvarius toad). So the restriction comes mostly from an environmental side. Also the current president has already decriminalised weed nation-wide. And he seems to have a liking for decriminalisation ;) . 

Ande we are mostly stage blue heheheh and quite radical in my opinion. (with some orange spiral sprinkled on top)

So anyone coming to Latin America for the psychedelic tourism make sure that your guide or whatever is sourcing the medicine responsibly.

Edited by Alfonsoo

21 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Something like 1 in 5 people have some mental illness and like 1 in 20 have a serious mental illness.

Think about those numbers.

Where did you get those numbers?

questions that come up for me are...

I also wonder how much of that is due to and expanded definition of mental illness.

Have those numbers of mental illness been true for most or all of human history?  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

19 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I was actually thinking those exact thoughts earlier today. It's tricky, because meanwhile Ap is the most advanced party imo (I voted for them this election :P), they have an obvious populist bent as well, which is not surprising for one of the most popular parties in Norwegian history.

I think MDG is the most advanced party and they are the only party that want to legalize weed, and they care about climate change. So i voted on them, but they did it terrible the election 2021. 

1 hour ago, Peo said:

I think MDG is the most advanced party and they are the only party that want to legalize weed, and they care about climate change. So i voted on them, but they did it terrible the election 2021. 

MDG is in many ways Ap's cooler little brother.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 2021-10-04 at 3:21 AM, modmyth said:

...what about hypothetically contributing in some other way?

1st i can suggest to use these aspects i've previously applied to cannabis more than once:

Neuro-plasticity
Contaminants
Consumption Method & Ritual
Socio-toxic 3rd-party interference

For example dealing with hard drugs, including alcohol (...), is it possible to un-learn nuisible habits?  I dunno but the 3 other points seem easier for me to grasp.  Yet you know best about needles so it quite possible that home-made list of mine doesn't readily apply.

What about some basic effort to understand addiction better, for example?

NOVA broadcasted a "science" show on the safest "dope" on earth, just a few days ago, and the "A" word alone raised in me such a wall of defiance being so quick revealing its bias i can only imagine how people in real trouble feel about profe$$ionals more concerned with their image.  The anonymous love-of-hate/hate-of-love speeches with no accountability should tell us there are 2 ends to that tube and i'd promptly point a finger at self-serving politicians who exploit it to gain electoral support.  As generations pass the repeated failures to correct 7 repair lead to dynamics as "Systemic Racism" which torments our present prime minister in my province, because if he acknowledges its existance the rest of Canada will jump on it and inflame the internet, all to ready to perpetuate even more Québec-bashing while François Legault didn't get elected with a majority of the population:  he won only because he was the best worse.  And hence basically it's a problem with political institutions becoming disfunctional, lets simply mention the Pandora Papers although it's not really new...

To say we need to understand addiction infers there's only 1 party involved and i won't agree about that.  Right now in Montréal more police budgets get voted to please angry voters but it was foreseable many years before, like pressure building up in a presto.

...talking to people who have direct experience is usually helpful.

YMMV.  Those people in trouble are a product to others who made it a full-time job - even an industry.

Where is people's sense of civic responsibility?

On a votation card i guess.  Then with a bit of luck some external forces may happen to shuffle the cards in favour of those who need it most, but that's probably too optimist, meanwhile it wouldn't hurt to gamble on suitable prevention, if any efficient concept even exists.

Engaging in political rhetoric alone certainly isn't exercising civic responsibility well.

And yet the UN is a major source of suffering around the glove, so denial of its power ain't helping neither, really.

13 hours ago, Peo said:

Yes, MDG is the only Norwegian party fully stage green. Sp and SV are pretty green, too, having the same issues as Ap. V are like 2/3 orange and 1/3 green. R, however, is a good example of a (mainly) stage blue far-left party.

With the next elections, we should start an own thread about Norwegian parties. I actually wanted to do that already for these elections, but I was busy with the thread about the parties in Germany, which held federal elections one week after Norway.

And sorry for talking about Norwegian politics in the Canadian thread!

17 hours ago, modmyth said:

I'm not sure if we're on the same page?

Good, this is one reason why to invite different perspectives.

Are you really that cynical in this case?

Yes, institutions do encourage treating people like commodities, I suppose.

Same page then...  At the moment in Québec the tragedy of Joyce Echaquan provides quite some stricking hint in such matters:  a coroner concluded her multi-toxicomany (including cannabis...) contributed to her death, in a hospital...  I myself experienced denial of appropriate medical assistance for just mentioning the "c" word.  It seemed very real to me:  they do nothing helpful and yet get paid for it, that's what it felt like exactly on my way back home.  Similar to cops patrolling our beatiful wilderness on winter, riding the vast fields on snow-mobiles, etc.  The KILL of Bony Jean-Pierre in Montréal-Nord must have created an abyss between what it's supposed to be vs the institutionalized mess this has become, failing to self-correct at every step:  a political consequence ultimately.

How are they supposed to keep functioning?

By helping them to stay alive 1st perhaps?

What is anyone's idea of "suitable prevention" here?

I was reading about the respiratory function going south and threatening our mowt vital organ unless it's OKay to get parked in a zoo:  the brain, as it requires oxygen all life long.  So maybe micro-dosing would seem in order but this is more a question than a statement.

Good day, have fun!!  B|