Epikur

Jordan Peterson: Why it's SO Hard to Sit Down and Study/Work

37 posts in this topic

Because youre not passionate. Its really simple. This society doesnt care about you doing passionate work, thats why you have so many with lack of discipline.

I suck at disclipline but now that Im in Uni I have studied so much and read a ton, with barely any resistance, why is that? Because Im in love with what I read! Simple. 

Passion cant be forced either, it is discovered. Try using Theory U, could be helpful.

Unfortunately I know that most people have to scrape by and dont have the ability to be passionate about work or study. Thats the society we live in today. 

Edited by Rilles

Don't let your beliefs limit you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because nobody actually wants to pay for anything. They want shit for free. Especially in today's freebie internet age.

People have forgotten the value of things.


You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty abnormal for people with great self-control but also what is expected of people with shorter attention span.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes....

Be Hard on Yourself - Grant Cardone
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The attention span in 15-25 Ages has been fucked up by social media and porn.

 

But its still fixable by dopamine detox and pomodoro techniques

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alex_R said:

The attention span in 15-25 Ages has been fucked up by social media and porn.

But its still fixable by dopamine detox and pomodoro techniques

I watched a lot of porn between 15-25. I was extremely successful during those years. Why?


You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura I think it’s because you seem to have been very purpose driven from a young age.you might have watched porn etc but you always had a goal in your mind (philosophy professor,video game designer,straight A student etc).the reason why porn is a problem for me is because I don’t have a clear purpose/goal.what people like me do,is we use porn/tv to avoid going through the painstaking process of finding a purpose/ making the sacrifices needed to achieve that purpose

Edited by Ineedanswers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I watched a lot of porn between 15-25. I was extremely successful during those years. Why?

I'm sure it was some special kind of porn

Edited by Hello from Russia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Leo Gura I dont understand this either, It seems to me that the main reason why you became so successful is because you watched porn, using those early years to set a strong foundation instead of squandering it chasing girls???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Leo Gura I think you are a bit of a odd case, to be honest. There's not many people on this planet, who started philosophising (not to mention started contemplating epistomology) when they were 15-16. With no urge or need to fit in some dumb popular teen group. So yeah, you had somewhat of a headstart.

Porn or masturbating is irrelevant in this. Although, excessive masturbating is in most cases, a byproduct of having nothing better to do, or just being lazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coca said:

@Leo Gura I dont understand this either, It seems to me that the main reason why you became so successful is because you watched porn, using those early years to set a strong foundation instead of squandering it chasing girls???

That's oddly true. I basically abstained from sex and relationships for about 10 years in order to fully focus on my life purpose and life's work.

This made me extremely productive, creative, and successful relative to those people who wasted their time in frivolous youthful relationships which inevitably crash and burn.

My attitude between age 16 to 26 was: "I got so much more important things to do than socialize with girls." But the sex drive was still very strong. Hence porn was a crucial functional outlet. And this still continues for me to this day. I am actually way more productive than most people by have less sex. Sex is a huge energy sink. Productivity-wise, sex is way more dangerous and costly than porn.

But also, life is not all about productivity. So I am not saying that you should place productivity above all else. That could be a big mistake. I did it strategically and I made corrections later in life to balance myself out.


You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's oddly true. I basically abstained from sex and relationships for about 10 years in order to fully focus on my life purpose and life's work.

This made me extremely productive, creative, and successful relative to those people who wasted their time in frivolous youthful relationships which inevitably crash and burn.

My attitude between age 16 to 26 was: "I got so much more important things to do than socialize with girls." But the sex drive was still very strong. Hence porn was a crucial functional outlet. And this still continues for me to this day. I am actually way more productive than most people by have less sex. Sex is a huge energy sink. Productivity-wise, sex is way more dangerous and costly than porn.

But also, life is not all about productivity. So I am not saying that you should place productivity above all else. That could be a big mistake. I did it strategically and I made corrections later in life to balance myself out.

Hmm, interesting perspective.

I think it is especially wasteful if you swap girls every time, you having to pick up one chick by another by another on a regular basis. I imagine it'd be draining as fuck

However if you'd have a wifu or a wifu-figure... It can be a source of regular sex yet you can still make this all thing pretty efficient. The problem becomes, though, when these wifus begin to have some more than basic needs fulfilled...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still very time consuming even if you have one girl.

There is a good reason why monks are celibate.

I basically lived like a monk for the first half of my life. And it was amazingly productive.


You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It's still very time consuming even if you have one girl.

There is a good reason why monks are celibate.

Oh man, I am reading this thread literally after pushing for sex for like 3-4 hours, it's so ironic, haha.

I mean, I succeeded but I totally get what you mean.

The upside, though, with girl your don't only get sex, but also companionship, intimacy, mutual love sharing, friendship, ability to vent to each other and let go a bit. She can basically fulfill 90% of your socialization needs and it is a pretty good value in a sense

It's a very tricky dilemma. Having a hard time deciding what is the best way to approach all this sexy/intimate relationship stuff

At least I feel confident in my skill I can sustain any type of relating, developing some mastery in this domain really makes you feel much more free and nice, as you were always teaching

Edited by Hello from Russia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

The upside, though, with girl your don't only get sex, but also companionship, intimacy, mutual love sharing, friendship, ability to vent to each other and let go a bit.

Of course. But I was not only talking about sex.

The entire relationship will consume you, especially as you get real serious about it.

Note: I am not saying you shouldn't do relationships. I am just saying, do you understand the costs? I do enjoy deep relationships, so don't misunderstand me.


You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leo Gura said:

Of course. But I was not only talking about sex.

The entire relationship will consume you.

It will, only until you choose to use it (relationships) as one more path towards awakening and even for success and productivity. It is all connected, no need to make divisions here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Leo Gura

Quote

Note: I am not saying you shouldn't do relationships. I am just saying, do you understand the costs? I do enjoy deep relationships, so don't misunderstand me.

What are the greatest costs of having a relationship for you? And isn't it sometimes the case that benefits outweigh the costs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:
3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course. But I was not only talking about sex.

The entire relationship will consume you, especially as you get real serious about it.

Note: I am not saying you shouldn't do relationships. I am just saying, do you understand the costs? I do enjoy deep relationships, so don't misunderstand me.

Yeah, I totally felt these tradeoffs in the last 2-3 years. 

Would you say these cost/value & tradeoff dynamics are inherent to the universe/reality & being a finite form? As no way to escape them?

What is nice about deep relationships, though, Is that it is an amazing love simulator training. In 99% cases if some conflict/annoyance comes up, the most effective way to deal with it usually is to just love her to death. Solves pretty much 99% of all relationship problems. But very hard to embody this and be loving 100% of time

Edited by Hello from Russia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now