Tancrede Pouyat

Can You Fix Climate Change - Kurzgesagt

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

Thought I'd share this here and maybe get a discussion going:

Gives a more rounded approach to climate change, really reframes the discussion. Love it.

12 hours ago, Knowledge Hoarder said:

Better start preparing for the worst scenario.

@Knowledge Hoarder I think if we were preparing for the worst case scenario, humanity should be taking steps to mitigate the damages of water wars.  Since there were nuclear stand offs in the past it makes sense to ban nuclear weapons, taking them out of the equation when it comes to water wars.  World superpowers don't want to do that though.

Secondly, there is the mass extinction of sea life.  If some economies like Japan depend on sea life, then they need to switch their dependency to other food sources like vegetation.  The point is that vegetables take the least amount of energy to make, especially when comparing it to raising cattle.  That would take a lot more resources.  Maybe other nations should rely more on vegetation.

I don't know what to do about the rising sea levels displacing millions of people and destroying farm lands.  A bunch of them will probably die if other nations are not willing to take all the refugees.  This will also lead to the migration of mosquitos, which is why the U.S.military thinks climate change is a national security threat.  I guess we need more pills For preventing malaria.

It is the impoverished and undeveloped countries that will be hurt most of all even though they are the least responsible.  It will likely lead to various genocides because of water conflicts caused by droughts.  I would imagine that helping underdeveloped countries finish developing while eliminating poverty would help them to more effectively respond to The climate disaster.  If corporations were taxed more, maybe it would help finish the development of Africa.

The earth is expected to heat by 3.5 degrees at the rate we are going even though we are technically in an ice age.  For some reason Leo does not seem very concerned about climate change.  He says things like "a couple of degrees won't kill you.". I would like to know what he sees that we don't .  Maybe he thinks the fear mongering and political biases are making climate change seem worse than it actually is.  I would love to know what science there is to back that up.

There were some strange fallacies in the video, like how they frame that a singular individual would make no difference. That makes no sense in the context of a cultural revolution where most people would change their consumptive habits.

They aswell explained how if we do not stop consuming so many animals we will not be able to fix climate change, yet at the same time they say we should focus mostly on politicians. What are politicians supposed to do here? They at this moment perfectly represent the people, who simply do not care about climate change for the most part.

It seems like they simply lack understanding of how societies evolve and transform. There is a reason why we do not vote for politicians who radically care about climate change, because most people simply don't care. They are not developed enough to care about the world. What we need is a cultural evolution towards stage green, and that will necessarily include adoption of responsibility and a change in consumptive habits.

The actual truth would sound more like we need to both adopt radical consumptive habits aswell as radical political change. But I doubt either of those things will happen in time. This video really gives off the vibe of "Holy shit we have no fucking clue what to do about this but let us try think outside of the box".

The fundamental problem is that climate change will cause an increase in survival pressures, which will make it unlikely that we will progress and more likely that we will regress into less developed stages. So, I would not bet on any of this getting solved with an increase in consciousness, but rather the opposite. It will be fueled by fear and suffering.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

@Scholar Consider the format of the video and what it is that it's trying to accomplish.

The people living in industrialized societies that this video is targeted towards are likely SD-Orange or SD-Green, where systems thinking is just beginning to emerge.

The deeper causes that you mention require an understanding of development and dialectical thinking that's not going to be possible to cover in any deep way in a 20 minute video (how many hours did it take Leo to explain the basics of something like Spiral Dynamics)?

For what this video was trying to accomplish (namely: getting it's audience to frame the issue in a more systemic way than that of personal consumption habits) I'd say it did an admirable job.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/