Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PepperBlossoms

Pressure for more, more, more

9 posts in this topic

More, more, more.  Get more experience, more money, more insights.

Work more hours, more years.  Get more clothes, more food.  

Read more books, play more games, travel to more places, talk to more people.

We are all competing for the same money, the same jobs.

Those who have enough still have the same more mindset as those who don't.

The more doesn't turn off even when people have enough.

More, more, more.

Then you die.

That's the point of life... that's survival. Most people would be even more unhappy if they kept getting less and less, or stagnated and kept only getting the same. More is what drives us. It makes us reproduce, it builds civilization.

If you have like 60 more years here, do you just want to sit around and do nothing? Or experience more?

You don't have to feel overwhelmed or defeated by the idea of more. You don't have to do absolutely everything. You can prioritize and do the stuff you want more of.

19 minutes ago, PepperBlossoms said:

We are all competing for the same money, the same jobs.

Scarcity mindset, there's enough to go around for everybody.

19 minutes ago, PepperBlossoms said:

Those who have enough still have the same more mindset as those who don't.

The more doesn't turn off even when people have enough.

True but once you become aware of this you can break free from it to a degree and be satisfied with what you've got.

I love people that are big dreamers. They have a dream, a purpose, and they go out there and do it. Because that is what lives in their heart, they know if they die and haven't at least tried giving it their all trying to achieve that dream, it has been a wasted life. People that are know that it's not their car or status that sets them apart, but their unique vision and dedication toward it.

That dream can be to build a huge tech company; to travel the world and make music; to build a new community; to build homeless shelters; feed the poor in Africa; making Indie documentary films. 

The amount of stuff or money they have is just an afterthought. Having a nice car, a nice house, nice clothes etc. That can be nice, but that is what it is... just nice. It doesn't really gives you that spark of life, its just...nice. The real spark is in the journey, your journey. Not the journey of some Hollywood movies you watch, or the ads on TV. Also not the journey that your parents think you should traverse. This life is your damned journey, and those other people are just people you meet along the way.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

I guess one concern with the more, more, more attitude is that we keep on building more stuff, larger cities.

The beauty of the landscape is getting hidden - more and more cities are turning into Los Angeles style cities - roads and buildings everywhere over the whole thing.  The development isn't stopping either - more and more.  The dollar is prioritized over beauty.

Yes I see that working all of one's life is the equivalent of animals hunting for food their whole life.

I just feel like we are uglifying the earth in exchange for our own survival, leaving it uglier than it was when we started.

In some cases, it is less ugly - more medical treatment, education, transportation, water, food, homes, etc.  In other cases, more ugly - pollution, pesticides, bombs, war, etc.

World needs a shift inward. Also, I think what might help this is universal income or something, cuz if ur a wage slave your soul might be dead so you need to compensate by buying/doing things.

Atheistic materialism does this too.

religion can leave people with spiritual yearnings feeling empty and thus do this too.

Capitalistic marketing teaches people the “more” values as well. Some of those people running low consciousness companies marketing crap are probably half psychopathic, clinically speaking, some are ambitious and some just couldn’t stand wage slavery.

maybe se should start testing all children for psychopathy and if they have above 25% we either treat them (new science might be getting better at this in the next decade) or don’t let them in business.

The Inuit used to push their psychopaths off an ice sheet while they had their back turned, so it’s not so drastic in comparison.

the marketers at the company are sort of just normal people, usually.

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

Only one word - survival 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Even if you decide to become a minimalist and sell everything, it's still the pursuit of more. 

Think about it, the way you experience time, well don't think about it, look around the room. I might look away from the computer to look at my plants, but to me, the computer is still here, still mine. In my direct experience it's not though, just plants. So it seems as if it's just more, more, more, everywhere I look, but really, in order for me to have more, or even turn my head to perceive more, I have to let go of what was. But it seems as that's passed, so I think I have it. 

I'd say there is no pressure to have more, but it may seem so. When did this start? Is it possible it never did, but it just seems like it did? 

And then this "and then you die" shit, I mean. Birth is like winning the lottery, and then you go through life trying to spend that money wisely, thinking you could lose what you never expected to win. Then you go back to the very source of all that money. Like infinite money, infinite life. You never "had" or "have" a life, you are just Life. 

I dunno.  Can't lose, sort of seems like win, win, win which seems sort of like more, more, more? But I'm not sure about this pressure thing. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I guess also the notion that "more" is relative.  It depends on the value system.  I could say - I have more cheeseburgers than you.  But if you are a vegetarian, less cheeseburgers is more (in terms of better) than more cheeseburgers.

And more is another way of saying "change" - I get one experience looking in this direction and I get another, or a different experience, looking in that one.

Advertisements aren't forcing us to buy "more", we ourselves are choosing to say that the advertisement is getting us to buy more when we are the ones who decided to do so or say so - - but yet at the same time, advertisements are part of the system in which the person saw and decided to buy more so one can't isolate the advertisements or the self but rather include the whole.

I would hear noisy cars driving fast from nearby streets and project the idea of - oh that is someone with a purpose and a place to go - they are being "driven" to go after someone as by how fast/loud their car is - - but again that is a projection of the concept of more - - but also can't isolate self and ignore the noises.

We go places and get more, or rather get the same and it is a trade of one thing for another.  "nothing is created nor destroyed"

You could look at someone with lots of money and say they have more opportunities than the one with less but it could also be that they are more constrained by their work/social rules/etc. and hence it may balance out - or may not - there does seem to be asymmetries by the structure of life

Yeah sales people can be psychopathic - creating ads for meat products or wage slave products - but so is everything else psychopathic too in a way.. hence brings up the question - are some careers/tasks more psychopathic than others and how would one be able to rank them - the ones that try to increase awareness whereas the ones that don't have any