PurpleTree

Has anybody here tried a fecal matter transplant for gut issues?

12 posts in this topic

Seems like many people here have gut issues and food intolerances etc.

Me too and i think partly some of my gut micro biome is out of whack.

Fecal matter transplants look pretty promising in that matter.

I've read some posts on reddit etc. that basically claim it even healed them from fatigue and things like that.

I think i want to try it sometime.

Trans-poo-sion as some call it may be one of the most promising medical treatment of the next decade but so far it is still research in diapers. As far as I know so far FDA has only approved transplantation of Bifidobacterium which is super limiting so I'd wait at least another 5 years for more research to catch up and more variety becoming available. 

Mice studies show some pretty darn exciting results in obesity, diabetes, IBD. Consider reading "10% Human"  if this stuff interests you. Potentially this could even be helpful for authism

I'm definitely looking forward to poo-clinics transpoosion becoming widely available 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Your gut issues are not happening in your colon, they are happening in your small intestines which will not be reached.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Trans-poo-sion as some call it may be one of the most promising medical treatment of the next decade but so far it is still research in diapers. As far as I know so far FDA has only approved transplantation of Bifidobacterium which is super limiting so I'd wait at least another 5 years for more research to catch up and more variety becoming available. 

Mice studies show some pretty darn exciting results in obesity, diabetes, IBD. Consider reading "10% Human"  if this stuff interests you. Potentially this could even be helpful for authism

I'm definitely looking forward to poo-clinics transpoosion becoming widely available 

yea it's pretty exciting although, early stages, here in my country i have to find my own poo donor etc. and bring them to the clinic.

in the u.s. they have a database of people with the good sh*t

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Your gut issues are not happening in your colon, they are happening in your small intestines which will not be reached.

i think they'll usually do a round of rifaximin before the fmt, which should reach the small intestine.

"Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth – In patients with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, we use rifaximin (1650 mg per day for 14 days). Rifaximin is non-absorbable rifamycin derivative. It is well tolerated and has been demonstrated to be effective in the treatment of SIBO [2-8]"

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth-management

i'm always a bit scared of making matters worse though, so we'll see

8 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

Seems like many people here have gut issues and food intolerances etc.

Me too and i think partly some of my gut micro biome is out of whack.

Fecal matter transplants look pretty promising in that matter.

I've read some posts on reddit etc. that basically claim it even healed them from fatigue and things like that.

I think i want to try it sometime.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, not quite. 

The actual influence of the intestinal flora is very difficult to assess. In studies, however, an increased microbial diversity in the intestinal flora (mouse model) and in the environment (farm children) shows a strong correlation with lower risks of allergic diseases/food intolerances and even more exotic syndromes. The university/hospital complex I am working at deals with fundational reserach in this area and is one of the leading institutions in the german-speaking part of Europe. We are specializing in the treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases like Crohns disease or ulcerative colitis but our latest pilot studies also looks into the connection between the microbioma and obesity or IBS. 

As already mentioned, you usually cant get a faecal transplant just like that. I dont know how the FDA handles it butwe are very picky with our patients and its usually a kind of last resort measure when the burden of suffering from the disease is just too high. Further reserach is needed because mechanisms of long term outcomes and side effects are still not at the level we want it. Its propably very safe and some people like the gamble, but I would be catious nevertheless. 

"Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth – In patients with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, we use rifaximin (1650 mg per day for 14 days). Rifaximin is non-absorbable rifamycin derivative. It is well tolerated and has been demonstrated to be effective in the treatment of SIBO [2-8]"

Rifaximin is safe and fine but usually wont get rid of the problem. It shows very high relapse rates. 
Definitely worth a try though.

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 minutes ago, undeather said:

Rifaximin is safe and fine but usually wont get rid of the problem. It shows very high relapse rates. 
Definitely worth a try though.

thanks yea. apparently it does have a high relapse rate but combining it with the fmt is what's interesting imo.

i've seen reports of many people on reddit who get better for a few weeks on a round of rifaximin and then bad again or worse but most of them only used rifaximin without a fmt.

can you tell me which city or country your university/hospital is?

can you tell me which city or country your university/hospital is?

Its an university medical center in the south of Austria. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

If Rifaximine helps you I don't see why you need anything else. And if it doesn't help you, then the other thing won't solve your SIBO problem.

You are not going to solve SIBO via the colon.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

i struggle with IBS for a decade 
the only treatment that worked for me is a gluten-free diet and some mental work such as reducing anxiety and stress and unwiring this defense mechanism from avoiding feelings and emotions.

I though this  could realte to your topic on guts problems 

Get your hands on some water kefir grains, start brewing and start chugging. All of my intolerances and gut issues gone within a week. Dont underestimate the power of probiotics. 

And its fucking delicious. 

Part 2

Water kefir bible with all your question anwsered: 

https://www.yemoos.com/pages/water-kefir-faq-introduction-basics

The ball is in your court now

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

I did Viome and it has been helping me a ton. It's basically a gut intelligence exam where they analyze your gut bacteria and give you a personalized food plan specifically for your microbiome. You may think you are eating healthy but if your stomach is acidic and then you're eating spinach thinking it's healthy you are actually terrorizing your gut. 

9 hours ago, mmKay said:

Get your hands on some water kefir grains, start brewing and start chugging. All of my intolerances and gut issues gone within a week. Dont underestimate the power of probiotics. 

And its fucking delicious. 

Part 2

Water kefir bible with all your question anwsered: 

https://www.yemoos.com/pages/water-kefir-faq-introduction-basics

The ball is in your court now

nah that didn't help me

tried water kefir, milk kefir, kombucha, probiotic pills, selfmade yogurt etc.

Edited by PurpleTree