Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shane597

Should I Just Drop Out Of College?

5 posts in this topic

College is very good for me in particular, because it definatly grows me but the price is rediculious. I am currently about 10 grand in debt. Next year of school may be free because I am switching universities. So I will remain 15 grand in debt for another two years, but then what? My major is in Psychology, so couldn't I just teach myslef the material? My goal is to be a therapist and this would eliminate this option as far as I know. 

I am also trying to minor in Marketing, but a lot of times I feel the universities rip me off because the education is not always the best, I usually get good professors, but sometimes they are not that great.

It sounds to me you are best of staying in college. 

If you are into all this stuff being covered on this website Psychology is probably one of the best things for you that you could study. 

Also 15K is not that much. It sounds like a lot to you now because as a college student the best job you could possibly find right now is being a barista at Starbucks or something. Once you start working a grown mans job you can pay that money off in a reasonable time. 

Also you mention your study does grow you a lot. Sure you can teach yourself. But I assume you are a full-time student now. So when you are not going to study what are you going to do? Work full-time? Where are you going to do that without a degree? Unless you got some great plan probably at a low paying job full time. That leaves little time and energy to teach yourself. Right now you are in the position to teach ON TOP of your psychology study. It's gaining knowledge at a double rate. 

Edited by STC

Great insight! That's kind of what I was thinking; I just had doubts because it is also possible to make a great career without a degree. 

@Shane Roberts Yeah honestly if you wanna become a therapist, simply enjoy the college ride. Learn what you can at college and enjoy learning on the side to become a great therapist - reading the likes of Miller, Winnicot, etc. It's pretty fun :D

Edited by Lynnel