tolo

why time goes by faster?

11 posts in this topic

Why time goes by faster today, than 50 years ago. I wasn’t alive 50 years ago, but from what people have told me, time is speeding up. Is it because of the technological advances? 

33 minutes ago, tolo said:

Why time goes by faster today, than 50 years ago. I wasn’t alive 50 years ago, but from what people have told me, time is speeding up. Is it because of the technological advances? 

When you are born, everything is new. When everything is new, your mind needs more time to perceive your surrounding. Thus, your time perception is slowed down because you need longer time to perceive your surrounding. 

As you age, everything around you becomes familiar. When everything is already known, your mind doesn't need to assign as much attention and time to perceive your surrounding. Thus, time appears to go faster when you get old.

You can solve this with an experiment... If you are going home via the same route for a long time, change your route if you want your perception of time to slow down. 

44 minutes ago, JosephKnecht said:

When you are born, everything is new. When everything is new, your mind needs more time to perceive your surrounding. Thus, your time perception is slowed down because you need longer time to perceive your surrounding. 

As you age, everything around you becomes familiar. When everything is already known, your mind doesn't need to assign as much attention and time to perceive your surrounding. Thus, time appears to go faster when you get old.

You can solve this with an experiment... If you are going home via the same route for a long time, change your route if you want your perception of time to slow down. 

I agree to that, but when my father was in my age, his time perception was different than mine right now. He told me that in my age time was passing quite slower, and nowadays time flies by super fast. We have the totally same time perception today, even if he’s almost 70 and I am 26. 

My theory is, that time seems to pass faster because of all the technological advancements.  We are all super occupied nowadays. We have so much entertainment than never before... 

You imagine time.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, tolo said:

I agree to that, but when my father was in my age, his time perception was different than mine right now. He told me that in my age time was passing quite slower, and nowadays time flies by super fast. We have the totally same time perception today, even if he’s almost 70 and I am 26. 

My theory is, that time seems to pass faster because of all the technological advancements.  We are all super occupied nowadays. We have so much entertainment than never before... 

Yea with cell phones, being accessible all the time, everybody is connected, being bombarded by so much information etc.

Does probably make time go by much faster. People used to be bored and just stare into the sky. Now they get their smartphone out when they get a feeling of boredom or insecurity.

Also i guess the news are much faster, how long/short a story stays in the news.

Movies used to be slower, watch old movies space odyssey 2001, western movies etc. (although or Charlie Chaplin movies seem pretty fast paced)

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

You imagine time.

Yes everything is imagined by god, but the question is why does the imagined time pass by faster in our imagined reality. 

New Agers would say that you are not the only one ascending, earth is ascending too, things are speeding up to a higher frequency in general. But these theories tend to be frowned upon here :)

“Dunbar loved shooting skeet because he hated every minute of it and the time passed so slowly. He had figured out that a single hour on the skeet-shooting range with people like Havermeyer and Appleby could be worth as much as eleven-times-seventeen years.

“I think you’re crazy,” was the way Clevinger had responded to Dunbar’s discovery.

“Who wants to know?” Dunbar answered.

“I mean it,” Clevinger insisted.

“Who cares?” Dunbar answered.

“I really do. I’ll even go as far as to concede that life seems longer i—“

“—is longer i—“

“—is longer—IS longer? All right, is longer if it’s filled with periods of boredom and discomfort, b—“

“Guess how fast?” Dunbar said suddenly.

“Huh?”

“They go,” Dunbar explained.

“Who?”

“Years.”

“Years?”

“Years,” said Dunbar. “Years, years, years.”

“Do you know how long a year takes when it’s going away?” Dunbar asked Clevinger. “This long.” He snapped his fingers. “A second ago you were stepping into college with your lungs full of fresh air. Today you’re an old man.”

“Old?” asked Clevinger with surprise. “What are you talking about?”

“Old.”

“I’m not old.”

“You’re inches away from death every time you go on a mission. How much older can you be at your age? A half minute before that you were stepping into high school, and an unhooked brassiere was as close as you ever hoped to get to Paradise. Only a fifth of a second before that you were a small kid with a ten-week summer vacation that lasted a hundred thousand years and still ended too soon. Zip! They go rocketing by so fast. How the hell else are you ever going to slow time down?” Dunbar was almost angry when he finished.

“Well, maybe it is true,” Clevinger conceded unwillingly in a subdued tone. Maybe a long life does have to be filled with many unpleasant conditions if it’s to seem long. But in that event, who wants one?”

“I do,” Dunbar told him.

“Why?” Clevinger asked.

“What else is there?”

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

slow down your thoughts and body language and see how time behaves with you like a lil snail! 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

Good question. There should be many answers and factors but I would say repetitiveness. 

There's

a

theory

that

says

that

as

you

there's

Nothing new to expect just dead, and you don't want to die, so it goes faster.

Think about when you were waiting for Christmas as a kid, it took forever .  As soon as you were redpilled about Santa time

started

to

go

By faster