LfcCharlie4

The Purpose Of Fiction

9 posts in this topic

What do you see as the purpose(s) of Fiction? - Novels, Movies, TV Shows etc

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

It has more than one purpose. Escapism is an obvious one. Where it has value is its ability to foster empathy. If you continually read stories and novels from different points of view, it will limber your ego up and make you more tolerant. Especially if you read stories from people in different demographics and with characters who are very different from yourself. (Some of it has hidden agendas, though. Big science fiction fan and never understood how much libertarian propaganda some of my favorite writers were pushing. And of course literature comes with the prejudices of its time.)

Edited by Late Boomer

In its archetypal ideal, I would say fiction is a mirroring of creation itself, showcasing and indulging in the one Beauty of reality. Whatever it shows can be seen as a highlighting of beauty, a teaching, an attempt at transcending form through the fiction medium itself, or a focus on any aspect of the dream of reality.

In its neutrality, it can reveal beauty through a subjective lense, a unique perspective. I think fiction can range from celebrating, studying or contemplating the most overarching theme - like the process of awakening - to the most specific detail of reality (like the process of letting go of attachment to a specific thing, or the beauty and elegance of a certain virtue, or simply the meditative observation of simple life from one perspective)

Edited by peanutspathtotruth

I write fiction stories. All my stories are teaching Nonduality through fun fictional stories, in ever genera. I believe most people would not be interested in hearing lectures on Nonduality, as it is threatening to their core beliefs. But, if you are subtle about it, sharing the teaching here and there throughout an engaging fun story, then it's more palatable to your average person. To give an example, Star Wars introduced Spirituality to a large portion of the world, hidden in a fun Sci-Fi Adventure film. The Force is Oneness. 

Myth :))) 

Myth is the 'history' of truth. The ring of truth in story.

The ancient forgotten truth.

LORD OF THE RINGS for example, is a very accurate myth, to the point of conspiracy theories about it.

My personal favorite is a manga called Berserk, which depicts man's eternal struggle against those who play god without permission. Against so called 'fate'.

Come come, to the hidden cave where mystics write and sing we call you...

Edited by TripleFly

I think create and consume stories to make sense of our complex reality. And  the archetypes and stories that are told seem to be both descriptive as creative. There seems to be an interplay between the stories we tell about reality, and reality itself.

i mean that artists try to convey something about reality through a metaphorical story. And by doing  that, the story also has the potential to influence reality itself. In that sense i see story telling as a vehicle of real metaphysical world building. Its influence is really quite overlooked in our society i would say.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

you auditioning for your god job

or reading it, witnessing another's audition

fiction is necessary until you take up that god job

it is all you came here to do

18 hours ago, Late Boomer said:

It has more than one purpose. Escapism is an obvious one. Where it has value is its ability to foster empathy. If you continually read stories and novels from different points of view, it will limber your ego up and make you more tolerant. Especially if you read stories from people in different demographics and with characters who are very different from yourself. (Some of it has hidden agendas, though. Big science fiction fan and never understood how much libertarian propaganda some of my favorite writers were pushing. And of course literature comes with the prejudices of its time.)

yeah I like this, the best quote I read is 

“Ultimately fiction, as David Foster Wallace said, “is about what it is to be a human being.”

& this 

Fiction and creative writing at their core are tools to understanding the human condition.

you could also add the spiritual & going beyond element to it as well 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi