Guardian

organic meat bigger climate change contributor than conventional livestock

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Scholar said:

I'm pretty sure vegan's don't eat products that are shaped like animals.

?‍♂️

50 minutes ago, Opo said:

?‍♂️

Is it really hard to understand that shaping something to look like a corpse of a once sentient being is different than making something look like a product that has no resembles to it? Anti-vegans are utterly cringe in how hard they try to make vegans look bad.

Glory to Israel

4 hours ago, Opo said:

Imagine if you came to your friends Thanksgiving party and instead of a turkey they molded a human baby out of plant meats and stuff. 

Would that still be fucked up even if they said no babies died? 

Yeah, man, that would be a totally fucked up thing to do.

As social beings that we are, we respect and protect our infants, so I can't see something like that happening as it's normal. Maybe if it was some kind of Halloween joke, where everyone was aware of it, but even like that, I think it's too extreme and crazy to present a plate like that.

If real meat is not available in supermarkets in the future, then I guess ill be doing more hunting and fishing 

22 hours ago, Opo said:

So if I understand it's like all other meats? 

Yes, that’s the point. It’s like other meats. Except it is suffering free. Doesn’t take up land and resources for the livestock. Less impact on the environment. Less labor costs. Less water usage. Less waste. Etc etc

And the amount of nutrients to grow the meat will be way less than the amount of nutrients it takes to grow it through an animal. Why? Because a lot of the calories the animal consumes will go the cells that aren’t used for consumption. 

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

On 9/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, Scholar said:

This isn't news, sadly a lot of people are in denial about this. They think just because it looks natural means it will be better for the environment. Factory farming is the most efficient way to do animal farming, of course it's less environmentally destructive on a large scale, it's called factory farming for a reason.

Normal farming just doesn't scale. If you try to scale it you just do more damage.

But factory farming doesn't produce the same quality of meat. The arguments against factory farming arent just ethical, but also nutrients based.

On 9/25/2021 at 8:54 PM, vizual said:

You are the one dreaming actually if you think we will be eating meat for long.

Our food technology is increasing. Our morality regarding animal suffering is increasing. Our nutritional knowledge regarding health is increasing. And the knowledge of the environmental impact of factory farming is increasing as well. The only thing that will prolong this progress is dogma and tradition.

Soon enough we will be able to produce plant based meats that are just as expensive, or possible even cheaper, than animal meats. And the plant based meats will be very hard to distinguish from animal meats. 

What metrics are you using to distinguish between animal meats and plant-based meats? Eventually, they will be able to produce plant-based meats that taste the same, but the nutrients aren't going to be the same. Why would I want to eat a copycat plant-based meat full of industrial seed oils when I could just eat a real piece of meat? 

3 minutes ago, NorthRise said:

What metrics are you using to distinguish between animal meats and plant-based meats? Eventually, they will be able to produce plant-based meats that taste the same, but the nutrients aren't going to be the same. Why would I want to eat a copycat plant-based meat full of industrial seed oils when I could just eat a real piece of meat? 

No they can grow meat which is practically indistinguishablefrom "real" meat. It's not like those vegan meats you see in the grocery store made of tofu, corn, beans and such. But like real meat

Edited by vizual

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)