Guardian

organic meat bigger climate change contributor than conventional livestock

28 posts in this topic

Not only does organic animal farming require more space leading to less forests to absorb CO2, but also according to the following paper which compared methane emissions with organic animal farming to conventional livestock, does organic animal farming emit more methane into the atmosphere.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10375217/

fake news

listen to her speak
The research you looked into is funded by the same people such as bill gates that invest in impossible meat.  Animals that feed off the plants give back more than they take. Fungi grow from their feces and their dead carcasses, circle of life  

On 2021-9-23 at 6:32 AM, Tanz said:

Animals that feed off the plants give back more than they take.

That statement makes more sense in a self-contained ecosystem free from human interference, but less when talking about animal agriculture, due to its destablizing effect on ecosystems etc.

Besides, ~90% of what warm-blooded animals eat is lost as heat. Whatever they give, they certainly take a lot.

https://bio.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Introductory_and_General_Biology/Book%3A_General_Biology_(Boundless)/46%3A_Ecosystems/46.2%3A_Energy_Flow_through_Ecosystems/46.2C%3A_Transfer_of_Energy_between_Trophic_Levels

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 23.9.2021 at 0:32 AM, Guardian said:

Not only does organic animal farming require more space leading to less forests to absorb CO2, but also according to the following paper which compared methane emissions with organic animal farming to conventional livestock, does organic animal farming emit more methane into the atmosphere.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10375217/

This isn't news, sadly a lot of people are in denial about this. They think just because it looks natural means it will be better for the environment. Factory farming is the most efficient way to do animal farming, of course it's less environmentally destructive on a large scale, it's called factory farming for a reason.

Normal farming just doesn't scale. If you try to scale it you just do more damage.

Glory to Israel

The future is no meat in our diets at all. Neither factory farming nor organic farming is a sustainable practice if we want to keep our earth healthy. 

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

1 hour ago, vizual said:

The future is no meat in our diets at all. Neither factory farming nor organic farming is a sustainable practice if we want to keep our earth healthy. 

Keep dreaming.

This is true, as humans we eat too much meat, it's just not possible to raise so many individual animals in those ideal organic conditions, real free-range like in the pictures where you see happy animals in those numbers is impossible (what they really mean with the free-range label is BS, by the way). We never as species were too many and eating meat and dairy that frequently, the only way we can do it is with the factory farm systems, with what that means for the animals' wellbeing, for the ones concerned about that. Organic animals are less sustainable than factory farm ones, they take much more and produce almost the same.

This huge number of animals need to eat, deforestation is mostly happening to grow plants to feed the animals we eat, not to grow the animals themselves. The amount of water a steak requires to get to be on your plate is crazy. Meat and dairy consumption is a big problem.

plants feel pain.jpg

Edited by Hatfort

20 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

Keep dreaming.

You are the one dreaming actually if you think we will be eating meat for long.

Our food technology is increasing. Our morality regarding animal suffering is increasing. Our nutritional knowledge regarding health is increasing. And the knowledge of the environmental impact of factory farming is increasing as well. The only thing that will prolong this progress is dogma and tradition.

Soon enough we will be able to produce plant based meats that are just as expensive, or possible even cheaper, than animal meats. And the plant based meats will be very hard to distinguish from animal meats. 

34 minutes ago, vizual said:

You are the one dreaming actually if you think we will be eating meat for long.

Our food technology is increasing. Our morality regarding animal suffering is increasing. Our nutritional knowledge regarding health is increasing. And the knowledge of the environmental impact of factory farming is increasing as well. The only thing that will prolong this progress is dogma and tradition.

Soon enough we will be able to produce plant based meats that are just as expensive, or possible even cheaper, than animal meats. And the plant based meats will be very hard to distinguish from animal meats. 

And dreaming...

36 minutes ago, vizual said:

You are fighting an uphill battle here. 

Why not just reject all meat? 

It's cringy to see y'all demonize meat eaters and then try to copy them. 

4 minutes ago, Opo said:

You are fighting an uphill battle here. 

Why not just reject all meat? 

No ones demonizing meat eaters here. Just saying, objectively, that it’s highly likely we, as a society,  won’t be eating meat for  that much longer.

Like i said, when our food technology had the ability to produce plant based meats that are almost indistinguishable from animal meats, and at a lower price. The only thing holding back for adopting  that technology is dogma and tradition.

11 minutes ago, vizual said:

No ones demonizing meat eaters here. Just saying, objectively, that it’s highly likely we, as a society,  won’t be eating meat for  that much longer.

Like i said, when our food technology had the ability to produce plant based meats that are almost indistinguishable from animal meats, and at a lower price. The only thing holding back for adopting  that technology is dogma and tradition.

Lab grown meat is more likely to replace regular meat than plant meats. 

I think I will quit meat.  I just don't see the need to eat living beings, and it costs so much environmentally.
I'll still use dairy, though.  And eggs, but it's a first step.

Ok, from here on out no more meat!

2 minutes ago, Loba said:

I'll still use dairy, though.  

I think it's better for the environment to eat chicken than to drink milk. 

13 minutes ago, Opo said:

Lab grown meat is more likely to replace regular meat than plant meats. 

Possibly. But those lab grown meats are grown with plant based nutrients as a “food source”. So technically it’s not plant based, but plant based nutrients are integral to the process of the growing. 

1 hour ago, vizual said:

Possibly. But those lab grown meats are grown with plant based nutrients as a “food source”. So technically it’s not plant based, but plant based nutrients are integral to the process of the growing. 

So if I understand it's like all other meats? 

6 hours ago, Opo said:

Oh, I have one for this.

secret ingredient.jpg

Nah, seriously. I'm fine if lab-grown meat can be developed, it's going to be much more sustainable and avoid a lot of suffering and real torture that is happening right now. I'm not interested in this though, I'm just fine with plant-based alternatives and I think they are more healthy. Similar goes for milk, plant or seed-based ones taste just fine, you can drink and use them to cook in the same way as cow milk, but without having those poor animals with sucking machines implanted in their udders every day during their whole miserable life, until they don't produce enough and they are killed without a second thought. There's more to say, but I shut up now. Just another meme.

memes-vegan-milk.jpg

2 hours ago, Hatfort said:

Oh, I have one for this.

secret ingredient.jpg

Imagine if you came to your friends Thanksgiving party and instead of a turkey they molded a human baby out of plant meats and stuff. 

Would that still be fucked up even if they said no babies died? 

Edited by Opo

1 hour ago, Opo said:

Imagine if you came to your friends Thanksgiving party and instead of a turkey they molded a human baby out of plant meats and stuff. 

Would that still be fucked up even if they said no babies died? 

I'm pretty sure vegan's don't eat products that are shaped like animals.

Ironically, meat is made to look like anything but an animal, they look more like vegetables than anything. When you look at a sausage you think it looks like a pig?

The level of cringe.

Glory to Israel