Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PepperBlossoms

Hypocrisy of Civil Engineering

4 posts in this topic

Do you design roads/subdivisions when they kill bugs/animals/trees/humans or even buildings when the people using them indirectly kill bugs/animals/trees/humans?

What about the infrastructure network for water/wastewater/drainage/roads when that is aiding the continued killing of bugs/animals/trees/humans?

Is it hypocritical to say one should not design these things when one uses and benefits from them personally?

The hypocrisy to say I will not work on oil and gas when I still drive a gas vehicle or I will not work on fast food when I may rarely go visit one.

How does one proceed?

In absolute sense, all morals are made up and everything is fine.  In finite sense, some things are more destructive and others and it is best to chose the least destructive thing (but that is relative to who the perspective is from).

What about if one is to do say the drainage for a company that still does oil and gas work as well?  I am feeling like it is still bad to work for a company regardless of what I do if it is choosing to continue to do oil and gas as one of its services.

Edited by PepperBlossoms

You'll kill some bugs by going for a walk in the forest.

In my mind, you can:

• Become a monk, live with other monks, not be involved in any work, and focus on meditation and not killing anything
  • Pick one cause that is most important, focus on it, and strive to have a big positive impact there, that makes up for the bugs you'll crush and the trees you'll use up in toilet paper, in order to get there

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

I think we, as a society, look at morality wrong. I think we are still stuck in looking at morality through a heavy theistic, religious way. That morality is written on a stone tablet commanded by God himself. Those contain the commandments and they should be followed forever and ever until the end of time.

But i see morality as sobering that is constantly evolving, every day. Just like human knowledge is constantly expanding through science and experience, so is morality.

So if we are not sure if sobering is right or wrong say this time it’s like beating ourselves up because we don’t know how dark energy works for instance. 

What we need to do as humans, is to do the best we can with the knowledge and morality we have right now. And hope to improve in the future. And be open to the fact  that both our knowledge and morality can be proven wrong in the future. Or better said; outdated.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

I just imagine that in a trillion trillion years, it really doesn't matter what decision I make today - yeah now can impact the future but so can the future impact the future.