Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sleep

Can god commit suicide?

22 posts in this topic

If god had the desire to, could he somehow stop existing? I've always found the idea of death comforting because an endless life has always seemed tragic to me, and I think if I found out I was god and that I can't die I would find that deeply horrifying. 

That's kind of in the category of "Could God make a stone so heavy he couldn't lift it?" I could understand wanting to. I still think we're stuck on the issue of how to define God though. If God has an individual personality like me, I can see how it would be torture to be eternal, but maybe that's not what God is, assuming there is one. 

I was raised Christian and so when I see Leo and other's talk about "realizing you are God" I have a hard time accepting it, but obviously they're calling God something different than what I was taught. Whether that's something you can do or not, I'm still skeptical because I haven't experienced it. Only a handful of mushroom trips under my belt - something told me it loved me in the last one, so there's that.

But if God is something that I can't comprehend, I don't think I can comprehend God's motives. 

1 hour ago, sleep said:

If god had the desire to, could he somehow stop existing? I've always found the idea of death comforting because an endless life has always seemed tragic to me, and I think if I found out I was god and that I can't die I would find that deeply horrifying. 

God is eternal.  It can only destroy itself via illusion.  But it's only horrifying to the ego mind.  Because pure Infinity is Infinite Bliss and Infinite Love and Infinite Intelligence....I'm not glorifying it as some special state because your current state of consciousness is also Love and Bliss if you can realize that the ego mind causes its own suffering via its own selflessness.  So as your consciousness increases you will find that you are perfectly happy in your current state of consciousness so there is no need for thoughts of death as if it was "some better place".  This is an illusion spun by your ego.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

God = Existence = Nothingness. Therfore God can't die.

But when God imagines to be a human, God dies in some sense. Because God completely shapeshifts into that imagination. There is nothing behind the scenes, when God imagines to be not-God, all of God becomes not-God. In that way God can escape its eternity in some sense.

But actually, not-God is still God, because all there is is God, therfore God can't actually become not-God.  God can only create the illusion of becoming not-God (eg. human), and because imagination is reality, it becomes true in some sense.

It's a bit paradoxical. 

Well since God is neither real nor unreal, there's no exclusively real God to die or not die.

In the relative domain yes and no:

- human can commit suicide

- a rock can't

in the absolute sense no

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

2 hours ago, sleep said:

But love isn’t horrifying at all, love is love.  I love you. I really, really do. 

Was that horrifying? 

It’s kinda, nice, simple, isn’t it? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

22 minutes ago, Nahm said:

But love isn’t horrifying at all, love is love.

I sometimes can't withstand/bear the nature of love. It's just too much. It's as if I want it to be imperfect so that I can even look it in the eye. 

It's like when I recognize the infinite perfection and love and I just say "oh my god I can't believe it, how is this even possible?? Noooo waaay... this can't be possible??", knowing full well that it's the only possible way, so I get hit with the realization "of course it's perfection!! How could there not be perfection?"

And then it feels like there builds up this infinite loop of me realizing that love and perfection are inescapable and inevitable. And I just am not strong enough to accept that. You know? 

Edit: I forgot to pose my question, so here it goes:

Deep down I feel that this "loop" is not real. That actually, there is just this kind of infinity and that there must be a sort of leap, after which one fully accepts the love and thus breaks the loop. Am I on the right way with this?

Edited by Tim R

4 minutes ago, Tim R said:

I sometimes can't withstand/bear the nature of love. It's just too much. It's as if I want it to be imperfect so that I can even look it in the eye. 

It is a miracle..  "Oh my God" is pretty much all I can mutter... It will bring you to your knees in tears.  It is too powerful for the human body.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Death is God's dream.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Late Boomer said:

I still think we're stuck on the issue of how to define God though.

This is the crux of it. A God which can be defined is a dualistic God, so not the one most of us are discussing here. Even to make the distinction of alive vs dead is still dualism. Same for us: as Jim Newman says 'This is death already' (on the absolute level at any rate). 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

@Leo Gura I didn't catch that one

◭"89"

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Death is [God's -> the] dream.

:)Just another way of pointing to this. No more right though.

2 hours ago, Tim R said:

It's like when I recognize the infinite perfection and love and I just say "oh my god I can't believe it, how is this even possible?? Noooo waaay... this can't be possible??", knowing full well that it's the only possible way, so I get hit with the realization "of course it's perfection!! How could there not be perfection?"

And then it feels like there builds up this infinite loop of me realizing that love and perfection are inescapable and inevitable. And I just am not strong enough to accept that. You know? 

Your SO: ‘so where ya wanna eat tonight’.   You: ‘oh honey you know as long as it’s not the absolute best place ever, it’s fine with me’.  

Deep down I feel that this "loop" is not real. That actually, there is just this kind of infinity and that there must be a sort of leap, after which one fully accepts the love and thus breaks the loop. Am I on the right way with this?

1: Love & perfection are inescapable. 2: In spite of #1 -  I escaped… and I’m not sure if I’m strong enough to “get back in”, to “take that leap”. 

When infinite humor is underestimated the joke is always on a you, and thus there is no possibility of it being offensive. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

12 minutes ago, Nahm said:

1: Love & perfection are inescapable. 2: In spite of #1 -  I escaped… and I’m not sure if I’m strong enough to “get back in”, to “take that leap”. 

When infinite humor is underestimated the joke is always on a you, and thus there is no possibility of it being offensive. 

I had suspected that it would be like this:D I like your answer, thanks. 

5 hours ago, Nahm said:

But love isn’t horrifying at all, love is love.  I love you. I really, really do. 

Was that horrifying? 

It’s kinda, nice, simple, isn’t it? 

@Nahm It's not love itself that is terrifying to me, is the fact that it's seemingly forever-going. I think I'd eventually grow to hate anything that I had to endure for eternity.

Death is infinite love 

◭"89"

1 hour ago, sleep said:

It's not love itself that is terrifying to me, is the fact that it's seemingly forever-going. I think I'd eventually grow to hate anything that I had to endure for eternity.

But eternity has no self to endure...  It has no form to "continue on forever" ..forever is a dualistic notion because it implies time.  And there is no time until God imagines it.  It's just Pure Infinite Love.  Infinite Consciousness.  Infinite isness.  :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 Yeah, as I imagined I don't get it. At least now I know that if whatever you guys are talking about is true I have no idea what it is yet and thus my fears are unfounded.