PurpleTree

Is our generation a generation of idiots? :P

24 posts in this topic

I was talking to a friend once and he went back to live with his mother because he f'd his relationship up.

And he told me our moms probably think we're a generation of wimps, retards and disappointments.

I found that funny. It seems so many (dudes especially) from my generation can't really grow up, me included.

What do i mean by "our generation"? doesn't matter you can define it for yourself

the generations before us, seems like they worked, had children, they did complain sometimes and were traumatized but they still went on etc etc.

and with us it's more like "oh i'm sensitive" "i'm so fatigued" "hmmm work is not for me yolo" "i'm depressed stop hurting my feeling" " i want to follow my dreams" "i'd like to do it but i'm a bit anxious" "moms help me" "i want to find myself" :$:$

Edited by PurpleTree

our generation is more like ayyyeee i think a face tat would be a great idea :o

6 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

the generations before us, seems like they worked, had children, they did complain sometimes and were traumatized but they still went on etc etc.

and with us it's more like "oh i'm sensitive" "i'm so fatigued" "hmmm work is not for me yolo" "i'm depressed stop hurting my feeling" " i want to follow my dreams" "i'd like to do it but i'm a bit anxious" "moms help me" "i want to find myself" :$:$

We might have indeed more stress/anxiety than precious generations, despite living in a materially richer world

Now is a very new time to live life, you have to adapt to many very recent technological breakthroughs and it has always been stressful

Also all this new media is making us anxious as fuck. They say we have record numbers of depression, etc, I'm sure it contributes to it a great ton among many other reasons

1 minute ago, Hello from Russia said:

Also all this new media is making us anxious as fuck. They say we have record numbers of depression, etc, I'm sure it contributes to it a great ton among many other reasons

yea i think so. but when did they start recording numbers of depressed ppl? like 40 yrs ago?  maybe these statistics are also making us more anxious :P

homo sapiens sapiens have been here for around 150k yrs?

but you're from russia (like leo) 

there i think you can extremely see the differences between generations (never been there though)

one came out of the soviet union and is hardened 

and the new generation is probably flabby and sick like in the west?

btw. nothing against my generation i love them all

and i enjoy being sensitive although it can be really annoying :P

Millenials are the smartest generation so far. It's the generation that can most clearly see the bs around. Life is unfair, deal with it. It depends on how you grow up. Your life being hard is a blessing in disguise. The earlier it happens the better. The faster you grow. The wimp stage you described is a necessary step. It's a phase that someone goes throught at hard times. Some people go through several such stages earlier and are done with it. If you face your first hardship at 30 for example because you were born in a privileged environment you are fucked. It just means that you lack the growth that you could have had earlier. 

Disappointments? They are the disappointments. We can just see their bs and don't want to be part of it. So yeah if you can't find meaning in what motivated your parents you will need some time to figure out what inspiration means and until then you might just do drugs and play video games. 

Edited by BlackMaze

10 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

yea i think so. but when did they start recording numbers of depressed ppl? like 40 yrs ago?  maybe these statistics are also making us more anxious :P

homo sapiens sapiens have been here for around 150k yrs?

but you're from russia (like leo) 

there i think you can extremely see the differences between generations (never been there though)

one came out of the soviet union and is hardened 

and the new generation is probably flabby and sick like in the west?

Yeah it's very different here, ur right. Not flabby and sick, though, I guess, cause we don't have as good social support/unempleloyment as you guys, hence everyone s kinda have to get a job and can't just coast by for years on said welfare. 

But other than that, we are  much more liberal and pro-freedom like you guys in EU. We embody western values, pretty much, at least in metropoly areas. In places like Norilsk, I guess even youngsters are still as conservative as beans

8 minutes ago, BlackMaze said:

Millenials are the smartest generation so far. It's the generation that can most clearly see the bs around. Life is unfair, deal with it. It depends on how you grow up. Your life being hard is a blessing in disguise. The earlier it happens the better. The faster you grow. The wimp stage you described is a necessary step. It's a phase that someone goes throught at hard times. Some people go through several such stages earlier and are done with it. If you face your first hardship at 30 for example because you were born in a privileged environment you are fucked. I just mean that you lack the growth that you could have had earlier. 

Disappointments? They are the disappointments. We can just see their bs and want to be part of it. So yeah if you can't find meaning in what motivated your parents you will need some time to figure out what inspiration means and until then you might just do drugs and play video games. 

for me it's that i had so much freedom growing up that i almost couldn't deal with it :P

no family structures at all etc.

sometimes i think when i'm older i'll go to a place with more traditional values (like russia, ukraine etc.) and have a family there

Edited by PurpleTree

4 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

for me it's that i had so much freedom growing up that i almost couldn't deal with it :P

no family structures at all etc.

sometimes i think when i'm older i'll go to a place with more traditional values (like russia, ukraine etc.) and have a family there

For me it was something in between. I don't know what this feels like. I don't really crave traditional values to be honest. I don't like the feeling of being tied down. Have a stable grindy job and take care of my kids and pay a loan, drink on weekends, watch tv etc. No thanks. I prefer something more adventurous but family is something that i might consider when i am 35-40

>> Is our generation a generation of idiots?

It's even worse than meets the eye.  Just wait until resources plumet while exploitation costs sky-rocket.

Good day, have fun!!  ^_^

I don't think that I would consider being sensitive as idiocy. 

Our ancestors justified hunting and killing animals. 

Today we raise awareness regarding veganism in stage Green cultures and it only shows how far we have come in learning about cruelty. 

It only means a rise in consciousness. 

Meanwhile coming to the subject of being lazy and less responsible than our parents, I think this is where my generation exactly differs from typical stage blue thinking. 

Stage Blue and Orange thinking means you stick to a certain set of rules that are defined as success.. I'll call it the Bill Gates generation. But this is only because they viewed success that way back then 

The present generation of people of my age group do not look at success the same way my parents used to. 

Success for today's generation means doing something deeply passionate and innovative and not simply being in a rut. It means exploration and doing things that really tickle your brain. 

That's why most people of this generation are constantly looking for new ideas for businesses, they don't want wage slavery jobs, they want to be business owners or artists who bring new creativity and talent to the job. 

Rules are being redefined. And change always comes with some resistance. 

Older generation will look at this as laziness and unwillingness to conform. 

Yet newer generations look at the same thing as creative freedom. 

I don't see this generation as a problem or idiotic. In fact I find them more peace oriented, freedom oriented, highly creative and talented and more passionate than the older generation that were stage Blue professional workers and more inclined to conform to social standards

At the end of day any perspective of how we should be or shouldn't be as a collective is only a matter of social construct 

The same thing that looks negative in the eyes of one  generation looks positive in the eyes of another. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Keep in mind that every generation has been seen as the worst generation.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

My father's girlfriend coddled his son and always makes excuses for why he can't be independent and thus he's 41 years old living with his grandma working part time. My one big criticism of stage greenies is they've forgotten the concept of tough love and emotional labor.. I mean Leo mentions emotional labor in his videos and yet we live in a culture where more and more people preach equity and want to coddle everyone and umbrella parent all of society. It's not healthy.  The most healthy children come from having a strong father figure and mother figure in the family. When either is missing, the kid is not raised on a optimal setting. I'm not saying kids can't turn out well with a single parent, especially if that parent has strong masculine and feminine traits, but it's not ideal or optimal.

It would actually be healthier for the child if they were raised with parents that were hard on them and caused them to leave the house early and become independent versus a household where they are coddled so much they never leave, in my opinion. The harder the life, the more bullshit one goes through, the greater capacity for growth. Hardship creates growth opportunities.

Edited by sholomar

6 hours ago, sholomar said:

It would actually be healthier for the child if they were raised with parents that were hard on them and caused them to leave the house early and become independent versus a household where they are coddled so much they never leave, in my opinion. The harder the life, the more bullshit one goes through, the greater capacity for growth. Hardship creates growth opportunities.

Wow, surely it's not just a binary choice between being hard on your kids or mollycoddling them? IMO there's a middle way where children are brought up in love, from being coddled as babies and young infants, to gradually learning the ways of the world and finding their own feet. School for example provides many lessons in standing up for yourself against the other kids, but in an environment which is controlled to some extent by the teachers. Many teenagers want to rebel against their parents anyway and there's a risk they can go too far and get into danger. So I'd say it all depends on the personality of the young person whether they need reining in with tighter boundaries, or loosening the boundaries and given more freedom. A difficult balancing act for the parents and no easy answer. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

I hate the argument that our generation is somehow dumber than the next, like we're devolving or something.

7 hours ago, sholomar said:

I disagree, but mostly because of a bunch of personal stuff I don't want to get into. I will say this though, if you're hard on a child that's schizophrenic, you're child is going to despise you if they ever get lucid.

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion." - Parabola by Tool

We have had  better childhoods than our parents, but a worse adulthood (less agency and purpose at the workplace.

I dream big and don't even realize that I am lazy. 

I want to change the world, but I am afraid of conflict and hate to lead others. 

Edited by Philipp

I would say this generation (15-29) is smarter, more conscious and more developed than all the previous ones. There is a lot more tolerance for trans, gay people. People are less racist. More open-minded. All that good stuff.

The problem basically is that most people have terrible terrible parents. Basically your household determines your entire life. The most important factor for success in life is your parents and upbringing. Not your intelligence. 

I can tell that Leo was pressured by his parents to do something with his life. He didn't have the option to sit back and relax as much as he wanted. From an early age he understood that he was fked if he didn't make something with his life.

Other people didn't have the same luck. There are many mothers who keep their sons stuck into the household for many years to come. They do it out of love but they end hurting their son's autonomy.

People who succeed , grew up in taugh situations. Where from a young age they knew, that nobody would take care of them forever. They had a sober dose of reality from a young age. Others who weren't so lucky (including me) got all their needs taken care by their parents. And this has backfired. This is a curse.

I blame the parents. If you ever become rich, and have children. Make your children work from an early age so they can learn how taugh life is. If you take care of all their needs, they don't have anything to strive for. They have no hunger. They know that whatever happens , my dad/mom will take care of me. That's a dangerous mindset to have. But many people have it. Especially kids who are more wealthy.

Parents who grew up in taugh situations, feel the need to make their kids life super comfortable. That's the whole problem right there.

Edited by SQAAD

13 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

Parents who grew up in taugh situations, feel the need to make their kids life super comfortable. That's the whole problem right there.

Sometimes I feel they do it, because they themselves struggle to find happiness and making your children happy is easier..

@Philipp

6 minutes ago, Philipp said:

Sometimes I feel they do it, because they themselves struggle to find happiness and making your children happy is easier..

Yes thats a good point. Fathers are psychopaths (exaggeratiom) compared to mothers. They want you out of the household fast lol. And are more egotistical.

But mothers are really enjoying making their kids happy. Mothers really enjoy cooking for their children and taking care of their needs. It is really profound how much satisfaction some mothers get out of this.

Edited by SQAAD