Someone here

I want to become a philosopher!

10 posts in this topic

Bold statement. I know. That's just how I am. But on a serious note...

How does one become a philosopher? What books should I read and how should I conduct my life? I know that to some of you I'm being silly. But believe me when I say that I'm very serious with this whole thing. How can I become a renowned philosopher who gets recognized worldwide the same way people like Nietzsche and Socrates are recognized?

Is formal education necessary? Or can I get by, by reading books?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

2 minutes ago, Someone here said:

How can I become a renowned philosopher who gets recognized worldwide the same way people like Nietzsche and Socrates are recognized?

Nietzsche looked into the abyss and went mad. 

Socrates looked into the abyss and was sentenced to death for "questioning" the norms of society. 

It appears that philosophy comprises of looking into the abyss and attempting to bring it back to society. 

The problem with the great philosophers is that they are always ahead of their time. Thus they are never recognized in the time in which they live.

So if you want your philosophy to survive, you have to look into the future and bring it into the present.

I don't think Nietzsche was popular until after he became mad, and died. And I believe Socrates was executed. Not how I would want to die. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

philosophy is the view i need to know more

did knowledge help you or anyone else

for me there's philosophy and there's wordless practicality

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Knowledge Hoarder OP

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Is formal education necessary? Or can I get by, by reading books?

Watch Leos latest video where he shares that he thought of becoming a philosopher ( professor in philosophy) but then change his mind.

I think it can be quite insightful for you to zone out which path you wanna take.

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

50 minutes ago, Knowledge Hoarder said:

That's literaly what Leo is doing. He's monetizing philosophy.?

If you just follow Leo, it's like 3/4 of the work being done for you lmao

yes we talk the talk or walk the walk

One idea in philosophy is “what is the highest good or best life? One suggestion is that the practice of philosophy (sometimes also called contemplation) is the highest good. A person philosophizes or contemplates for contemplation’s own sake (and not for fame, reputation, or money to spend on some other good). 

For example, a person works in order to have time to philosophize. A person does not philosophize in order to work better or do anything useful. Philosophy in itself is literally useless because it is not done for any other use. 

People often find a sense of meaning and identity through their work and other pursuits—besides meeting their other needs. 

So to philosophize, a person likely needs to address their other needs to some extent—needs like food, shelter, belonging, respect, and so on. But at some point, a person would have to prioritize their values. As several people on this forum pointed out, philosophers have prioritized philosophy over health or life. 

So, I would say seek to address your needs and use space time to philosophize—however you do that (e.g., contemplation). However, keep your purpose for working and other life pursuits in mind.

Become a philosopher, not someone who memorizes philosophical ideas of other philosophers. Assuming you were brought up in traditional education systems, it might take time to break the habit of memorizing the 'right ideas' and adopting them as your own. You've probably been conditioned to not bother thinking for yourself, since smarter people have certainly figured out the answers to whatever questions you have... scrap all that. It's good to read and listen to smart people, but you are your greatest teacher and you'll only know wisdom if you learn to contemplate for yourself.