Roy

What does Depression mean?

28 posts in this topic

A feeling of being trapped without the possiblity of ever escaping. Imagine being put into jail serving a life sentence but in your mind.

Imagine that:

• you suddenly discover that the entire universe is actually, fundamentally, profoundly horrid and terrifying
  • it/you can't be fixed because essentially nothing's broken. You just realise the awfulness of existence and other people don't
  • those around you can't see what you see. In fact, they think there's something wrong with you
  • This causes your entire sense of self to weaken significantly, meaning you feel vulnerable and threatened, even by your closest family, friends and medical staff
Edited by Dan502

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

It means you haven't accepted reality, and cling onto hope that things aren't how they seem. It's an anxiety about what existence is.

@Roy It means you are not being true to your self. 

It is a by product of the lying

I find it strange that completely materialistic people are not seriously depressed. I think they use subconscious mechanisms to avoid facing what they see as reality: a world of fragility where existence consists of a struggle to remain lost beforehand. a true dystopia

This word is one of my absolute favorite etymology surprises I've ever found.

depression (n.)

c. 1400 as a term in astronomy, "angular distance of a star below the horizon," from Old French depression (14c.) and directly from Medieval Latin depressionem (nominative depressio), noun of action from past participle stem of Latin deprimere "to press down, depress" (see depress).

The literal sense "act of pressing down, state of being pressed down" is attested from 1650s. The meaning "dejection, state of sadness, a sinking of the spirits" is from early 15c. (as a clinical term in psychology, from 1905); meteorological sense is from 1881 (in reference to barometric pressure); meaning "a lowering or reduction in economic activity" was in use by 1826; given a specific application (with capital D-) by 1934 to the one that began worldwide in 1929. For "melancholy, depression" an Old English word was grevoushede.

A melancholy leading to desperation, and known to theologians under the name of 'acedia,' was not uncommon in monasteries, and most of the recorded instances of medieval suicides in Catholicism were by monks. [Lecky, "History of European Morals"] https://www.etymonline.com/word/depression

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

On 9/16/2021 at 5:17 PM, Leo Gura said:

Loss of hope

How do I get my hope back?

hrhrhtewgfegege