Magnanimous

Why doesn't Leo want kids?

38 posts in this topic

I'd personally like Leo to respond.

Why doesn't he want kids? Wouldn't he pass down all of his knowledge to his offspring, and their combined efforts - him and the children - be superior to him being solo for his entire life?

He has his own lifestyle.

All kids are your kids.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Antinatalism comes to my mind..

But I'm not saying that he is a antinatalist. But who knows..

14 minutes ago, Fearey said:

A better question to ask would be why would anyone in particular want to have kids? Why pursue something that's purely driven by selfishness and ego?

To do the child-rearing thing properly you would actually need to be quite selfless.

@Fearey There is more to having kids than 100% selfishness and ego, be careful with only painting with broad strokes. 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Kids are a big choice and drain a ton of time, energy and money

I personally believe a lot of people have them out of boredom or a sense that it's what they should do. To properly raise children you need to be ready, financially and mentally stable, and willing to basically give up the next 18-20 years of your life. You are locked in, there is no way out, literally. Even if you put them up for adoption it will stick with you for life. Even if you get an abortion it will stick with you for life. The second contraception has occurred, your life is changed. 

That's not to say it isn't a beautiful thing, and there are many ways to enjoy it. For someone who doesn't have it kids it is likely absolutely unexplainable what it is like to have them. Similar to trying to explain enlightenment. It gives many people a sense of purpose and belonging. Some say it's incredible , some say it's not what it is cooked up to be. My intuition is it's somewhere in the middle.

I want them , but way later, after i have done all my own inner work and experienced all i can. Maybe when i'm like 50 i'll marry a 25-30 yr old Brazilian, bring her to California, and have like 6 kids with her. I plan on being that old guy who sits on the beach all day in a rocking chair, spits wisdom, and has a wild little tribe.

2 hours ago, Fearey said:

A better question to ask would be why would anyone in particular want to have kids? Why pursue something that's purely driven by selfishness and ego?

Lol, there's not much selfishness in rearing children...?? especially not when they're under 4 years old, they are priority numero uno in your life. And later too of course. 

because they're annoying

they scream and want stuff and poop on the floor

the baby would be like: Leo give me some stuff please, i like to have some stuff now or i'll poop on the floor

and Leo would be like: this isn't stuff this is consciousness you little devil

Kids are a pain in the ass.  Cute and fun in small doses.  
Who knows, maybe someday when Leo is in his mid 40's he'll have kids, men have long reproductive lives.

Liberals do not like kids that much. Conservatives like kids.

One day you meet the right woman and you might just change your views on not wanting to have kids. You never know, it can also be a very magical journey.

7 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

nah that sounds too cultish

Hmm yeah a bit, indeed.